News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 406     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Hamilton - Tim Horton's Field

Out of curiosity, how old is the stadium that the McMaster football team plays out of? It's hard to tell from google maps but it still looks like it is in decent shape with quite a bit of seating for CIS football. I looked at the location Kiwi just posted and thought about the possibility of having McMaster play out of the new stadium as well if it's around that area which is close enough to the McMaster campus. The seating capacity may be too large for CIS games, but just an idea.

Longwood and Aberdeen for stadium?

THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR

There are rumours that the city and the Ticats are in talks about a new stadium - this time near Chedoke Golf Course.

A councillor has told the Mountain News that a site near Longwood and Aberdeen is in the mix for a Pan Am stadium as the clock ticks down. The councillor said the city and senior Ticats executives are discussing the site.

Sources at the Hamilton Economic Summit today confirmed there is word that a new site proposal is happening and that an announcement is expected later today. They said that both the city and the Ticats are aware, but neither is on board yet.

Hamilton last week voted to build the stadium on the West Harbour lands. Tiger-Cats owner BobYoung has rejected that site, demanding instead that it be built on the east Mountain.

Young broke off all talks with the city after the decision and threatened to take the team to another community. The source said that the two sides have been talking since Tuesday.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/250163--longwood-and-aberdeen-for-stadium

Out of curiosity, how old is the stadium that the McMaster football team plays out of? It's hard to tell from google maps but it still looks like it is in decent shape with quite a bit of seating for CIS football. I looked at the location Kiwi just posted and thought about the possibility of having McMaster play out of the new stadium as well if it's around that area which is close enough to the McMaster campus. The seating capacity may be too large for CIS games, but just an idea.

Ron Joyce stadium at McMaster isn't even 5 years old.

Thanks, I didn't know, and therefore negates my idea.

What it does not negate is the idea that if the TiCats and City can't agree on a site...why we would spend $60 million of taxpayer money on a stadium with no post-games usage instead of spending less money temporarily increasing the capacity of tne relatively new Ron Joyce stadium to accomodate the games.

It's very simple -- if it costs more to run a team, it needs to take in more revenue to be "successful". It's just like any other business. A team with large expenses needs a bigger crowd to make its costs than a team with smaller expenses.

That's not true though. I explained on the last page that ticket revenue is only a small part of all revenues taken in by clubs. I also explained how two teams, one with significantly bigger payroll, can have equal attendance figures yet both teams would be able to make significant numbers in ticket revenue that are in line with the team's payroll.

Build the Argos a Stadium RIGHT beside BMO field. Win for the Argos, Toronto and the Pan Am games.

Build the Argos a Stadium RIGHT beside BMO field. Win for the Argos, Toronto and the Pan Am games.

If the Argos are willing to step in to the deal being considered by, and sought from, the TiCats then sure.......that is if the Argos are ready/willing/able to put up the money to expand the stadium beyond the 15k capacity deemed needed for the Pan Ams to whatever they need for CFL games......then sure.

Looks like there's massive change happening for Hamilton's stadium development. West Harbour appears to be dead and the new Plan B stadium location will be at Longwood/Aberdeen. Sounds like the City and McMaster will land swap for Longwood/Aberdeen for West Harbour. McMaster will get the West Harbour land for a McMaster campus and the City will get a location for a stadium.

Personally I'm in favour of the Longwood/Aberdeen stadium location. Beside the 403, near McMaster, near the downtown, Niagara Escarpment in the background, busy trail right next to the stadium location, behind a CP rail line for GO Train. A win-win for both sides.

Back