News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

Hamilton all day GO Service Confirmed.

The Service will be Liuna only. Hamilton GO Centre will only have express. CP owns Hunter street.
Are you stating this as fact, because you know something? Or are you just hypothesizing?

Doesn't make sense that this new service will be Liuna only ... they talked in the announcment about a second Hamilton station near Confederation Park, and I don't see you'd get get back towards the lake from Liuna. I briefly saw a map shown on the news at the McGuinty press conference ... anyone see it?

Ya, and I'm sure they would have chosen Hunter Street had CPR not been CPR.

I'm not one to normally defend the fright companies because a lot of the things they do is pure crass and we all know CPR is stubborn as ****. But, in all fairness to them, they don't have any obligation to provide for or support public transit, as they are a private enterprise focused solely on the transportation of freight. The Hamilton subdivision its one of their busier mainlines and the single track Hunter street tunnel is a major capacity constraint. Whether its true or not that any expanded GO service would impede their own freight service matters not (and their argument in this case is not without merit). As the owner/operator of the line they have every right to dictate what is necessary, even if its clearly BS(cough* Milton line cough*). Of course, as responsible corporate citizens they should be well aware that obstructing the implementation of any passenger service without just cause is something this is highly frowned upon. Thus, if the government wants to increase the service to Hunter St. it is incumbent on them pay for what ever is deemed necessary by CPR to remove those capacity contrasts(expanding the tunnel to accommodate a second track). Fair or not this course of action is their right under the current governing laws of our country.

The government of Ontario is obviously aware of this and unless they're ignorant they should also be aware that Hunter st. is the preferred location for all-day GO service. But once again, as far as we are aware, they don't have any plans to accommodate this preferred option. Considering all that, one is left to conclude that the government of Ontario has clearly failed us in this regard.

Come October 6th, we will have to opportunity to say; "You have failed me for the last time." :D

Last edited:
Are you stating this as fact, because you know something? Or are you just hypothesizing?

Doesn't make sense that this new service will be Liuna only ... they talked in the announcment about a second Hamilton station near Confederation Park, and I don't see you'd get get back towards the lake from Liuna. I briefly saw a map shown on the news at the McGuinty press conference ... anyone see it?

I mean that this service will be on the new stations nfitz! Hunter is not getting any new service! Geez!

Good announcement. If there is all day two-way serice of trains between Union and the Hunter St. Station in downtown Hamilton, that might take a number of buses off of our highways and might convince even more commuters to leave their cars at home since they can take the train between each city's rescpective downtown station.

Good announcement. If there is all day two-way serice of trains between Union and the Hunter St. Station in downtown Hamilton, that might take a number of buses off of our highways and might convince even more commuters to leave their cars at home since they can take the train between each city's rescpective downtown station.

Here's hoping.

The Hamilton subdivision its one of their busier mainlines and the single track Hunter street tunnel is a major capacity constraint.

You had me until this line. The Hamilton Sub sees 4 pairs of scheduled trains, along with a pair of daily switchers to the Belt Line. There is tons and tons of capacity on the line - the issue is that CPR are being bastards and trying to squeeze more free capital out of the Government.

However, you are right in that they own the line and thus they make the rules.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Come October 6th, we will have to opportunity to say; "You have failed me for the last time." :D

Oh? Would you express your discontent over McGuinty's respectable but insufficient investment in diesel trains by voting for the "build highways, not trains" party or for the "fare freezes, not diesel trains" party?

Do you want GO downsized?

The last time the NDP got into power, they cut the budget for GO and service was cut, including the closing of several stations. The last time the Tories got into power, they cut ALL funding for GO, and transferred it to the municipalities (along with stopping construction on the Eglinton line which Metrolinx is now building again). The new Tory premier before that, cancelled the frequent GO ALRT service that was planned for the Lakeshore line, as soon as he came to power.

Surely, the Liberals are the only ones with the history of expanding GO ... well since Premier Davis at least.

To be fair, the NDP cut service in 1993, several years after taking power. Three stations were closed: Acton, Barrie (Allandale) and Guelph*. The other significant cut were the few midday Erindale trains. I don't think doing so again would be politically prudent. But your point stands, the Liberals have been good for GO, though service expansion took place by the tail end of the Eves government.

*Guelph saw the loss of one GO Train a day, but continued to serve VIA trains.

First off the province and the lives of the people in it don't revolve entirely around GO. Now if I can say than, and I actually make a living driving them, than anyone can. No one should base their support for a political party solely on the strength of one issue alone (it sounds as if some people here actually do). That's simply very short-sighted.

Secondly we're in a different era, the governments of today aren't inheriting the province of days gone by. All political parties realize importance of public transit and that its the only way to sustain our economic development and reduce green house gas emissions. You won't see any major cuts no matter who's in power. There's a lot of money that's already gone into the system and equipment, if they wanted they could run all day service on all the lines right now(except of course for the Georgetown since its currently smothered by construction work) - save for the manpower issue. Which I've already spoken at length about, that's all that's holding them back.

But again, this is just one issue. Even if the other parties would have done worse in this area I can't/won't make my decision based solely on any one issue, no matter how important.

The Hamilton Sub sees 4 pairs of scheduled trains, along with a pair of daily switchers to the Belt Line.

Those volumes are a lot less than what I last heard. Though it has been a long time since I've gotten an update... If so, than I can't blame the gov as much for that situation.

Having said all that I haven't decided who to vote for just yet. I was half-joking when I said that (note the smiley). I am disappointed by the current regimes failure, hence I noted that. However that doesn't necessarily mean I think any of the other parties will 'automatically' do better, there's a lot to consider.

Last edited:
There is tons and tons of capacity on the line - the issue is that CPR are being bastards and trying to squeeze more free capital out of the Government.

However, you are right in that they own the line and thus they make the rules.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They have the monopoly and being jerks might well squeeze more money for maintenance and selling underused lines.

But at the end of the day government makes the rules. All this sounds like a great argument for expropriation.

I have no idea what you are communicating here.
The grammar is poor, but otherwise it seems straight forward: The Niagara service passes though the old Liuna Station rather than the current (Hamilton Centre) GO station. However the current station is more central.

I'm mystified what possibly led to this poster being banned after 1 post though ... was there some spam?

Back