News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

Hamilton all day GO Service Confirmed.

This is the best piece of non-news I've heard all day!

(This was part of the Pan Am games bid, so it was going to happen by 2015 anyway).

Interestingly, this forces Hamilton's mayor to reveal his true position on the LRT. He can no longer hide behind the "all-day GO is the priority" diversion.

Last edited:
No one cares eh?

Last election McGuinty said he would introduce Hydrogen powered GO Trains.

IMO Hamilton all day GO service is a trivial issue. Taking the bus to Aldreshot or Burlington is fine for now. The loss of commitment the LRT is 100X a story.

http://www.thespec.com/news/elections/article/599107--mcguinty-promises-all-day-go

James Street and Confederation Park

The expected time from Union to Confederation is 1 h 20 min.
Interesting. As this would be along the Grimbsy Sub, this would be in addition to the all-day service to existing GO Station in Hamilton. Presumably the existing all-day Lakeshore West service would be extended from Aldershot to the existing Hamilton GO station, and this all-day service to the 2 new stations would be part of a new all-day service to St. Catharines.

It could also allow for the return of VIA and Amtrack service to Hamilton.

Last election McGuinty said he would introduce Hydrogen powered GO Trains.

No, he said he would look into the possibility of an R&D investment arrangement with Bombardier to develop hydrogen trains with the promise of buying some if they took him up on the offer. Saying you will talk to Bombardier about the possibility of something, and saying you will introduce it is entirely a different thing.

Interesting. As this would be along the Grimbsy Sub, this would be in addition to the all-day service to existing GO Station in Hamilton. Presumably the existing all-day Lakeshore West service would be extended from Aldershot to the existing Hamilton GO station, and this all-day service to the 2 new stations would be part of a new all-day service to St. Catharines.

It could also allow for the return of VIA and Amtrack service to Hamilton.

The GO Centre will keep its 4 train. All New service will go to the new Station. There is not enough room at the existing Go station.

Ya, and I'm sure they would have chosen Hunter Street had CPR not been CPR.

Wouldn't they have to choose one station or the other?
I'm not an expert on Hamilton ... but the through service to Niagara has to go through the old Liuna Station rather than the current GO Station (at least if it's go any hope of getting there quickly). However the current station is much more central to downtown. Serving both full-day might be the ultimate solution.

Originally Posted by Coruscanti Cognoscente View Post
Wouldn't they have to choose one station or the other?

My proposal was (subject to the infrastructure improvements required); that assuming 30min, off-peak service...

Trains arrive hourly at Hunter St; hourly at Liuna, and meet again on the other side at a station in the Stoney Creek area.

Trackage making that link is available via Hamilton's belt line; though it likely needs significant upgrades to handle regular service of that variety.

I'm not an expert on Hamilton ... but the through service to Niagara has to go through the old Liuna Station rather than the current GO Station (at least if it's go any hope of getting there quickly). However the current station is much more central to downtown. Serving both full-day might be the ultimate solution.

The Service will be Liuna only. Hamilton GO Centre will only have express. CP owns Hunter street.

Back