News   Jul 16, 2024
 185     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 935     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

Report says the pilot project intergrating GO Transit and TTC using a sticker has been a failure so far, only 134 bought so far:

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/03/26/mediocre-start-to-ttc-go-fare-integration-pilot-project-report/
The only thing that surprises me is that it looks like about 96% of the usage is for Danforth, rather than at Exhibition. So that's about 64 a month on average for Danforth.

Given that GO reports only about 250 boarding a day at Danforth, that's 26% of riders already using the pass.

Even at Exhibition the 5 people who purchased the pass represent 10% of daily ridership of 50 people.

I'm not sure how that's a failure.

Expensive? Without discounts (MDP, tax credit, etc.) that's $201.50 from Danforth, compared to $181.60 for monthly GO "pass". With an annual subscription it's $189.75 compared to $181.60. How much cheaper could you make it?

It already seems to be capturing a significant portion of the existing ridership.

There's no indication that it would capture more ridership ... but how could it given that there's no time savings at Danforth to walk from subway to GO. This is part of the reason SmartTrack is such a horrific concept in terms of downtown relief.

I'm a bit surprised though that there's 50 people willing to pay $$$ for a daily Liberty bus, but only a handful who'd use the more frequent GO.

I'm a bit surprised though that there's 50 people willing to pay $$$ for a daily Liberty bus, but only a handful who'd use the more frequent GO.

that was my first reaction also......but the difference may be that the private bus may fill their commuting needs and there is no need to buy a metropass whereas you can only purchase the sticker for GO use if you already have a metropass.

that was my first reaction also......but the difference may be that the private bus may fill their commuting needs and there is no need to buy a metropass whereas you can only purchase the sticker for GO use if you already have a metropass.

The private bus was just more convenient. It picked people up from the residential centre of LV, as opposed to the GO Station which is quite a walk from most of the residential development in LV.

The GO station is a fair walk from most of the condos in Liberty Village. This doesn't surprise me at all. I would expect ridership would be higher if there was a station on the Kitchener line (at King Street) or if they improved pedestrian access to Exhibition GO from the East.

The private bus was just more convenient. It picked people up from the residential centre of LV, as opposed to the GO Station which is quite a walk from most of the residential development in LV.

Also since they already paid for the bus, they may be hesitant to switch to public transit. If this program launched a year ago, many of those 50 would likely have bought this pass.

Also since they already paid for the bus, they may be hesitant to switch to public transit. If this program launched a year ago, many of those 50 would likely have bought this pass.
If they've paid for their TTC bus pass, they can simply add the $60 sticker. I'm not sure what would stop those 50 that would have used that now-cancelled bus.

Can now we stop inconveniencing thousands of Stouffville GO riders and just pull the plug on this disaster? We seem to be stopping at Danforth for several minutes hoping that someone will board, but there's rarely a soul who does.
Several minutes? That doesn't sound right. A few would be suprising, and even a couple is pushing it.

Surely the test of whether the trains should stop at Danforth or not is the passenger volumes, not particularly the pass purchases. And how many disembark at Danforth to change to an eastbound Lakeshore train or the subway?

The bus was only pilot. There has been no private bus for months (since the pilot ended)

Report says the pilot project intergrating GO Transit and TTC using a sticker has been a failure so far, only 134 bought so far:

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/03/26/mediocre-start-to-ttc-go-fare-integration-pilot-project-report/

Why won't it when it's so expensive?

They also haven't started the Ad campaign for it yet. A couple news articles a success does not make.

We knew about it but we are transit nuts. NO one in the liberty village area I work with knew about it.

The Star sought the sales figures through a freedom of information request after Metrolinx refused to disclose them.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...of-premium-joint-fares-off-to-slow-start.html

I wonder if it was such a raging success, why Metrolinx didn't want to release the figures?

Metrolinx doesn't release any figures without a fight.

You want to know what the ridership is at any given GO station? It will take some digging.
You want to know something obvious, like how many people swipe Presto cards each day at Union Station? Good luck! It's not even clear Metrolinx knows that in the first place.

But if you watch their board meetings, they sure trumpet out figures when it sounds good.

Back