News   May 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     1 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

1697916201270.png

Technology? Isn't this a matter of funding?
I'm sure there is some Presto complexity that is being resolved. The government has already signaled intent to implement fare integration in the future, so I think the reason they haven't done it yet is in part technical.

Technology? Isn't this a matter of funding?
Yes, absolutely. At least the reason I thumbed-up was because:
  1. It’s nice to see politicians (especially the Premier) making a photo-op around less exciting transit concerns like fare-integration.
  2. It’s nice that Doug Ford (and I am far from a fan) is doing that. I thought he’d only be focused on the infra side.
That said, we’re still waiting for the money, so this may be nothing but a photo-op followed by disappointment.

The Feb 2024 estimate was already provided in September (https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/pr...cle_f9f968a1-0144-5c3f-a13c-a7126fe9053c.html)

Now regarding this new article,

Internal estimates suggest it will be between $100 million and $150 million per year over its first three years in operation, one source said. The total cost will depend on the number of riders taking advantage of the system and the number of fares the province has to refund to local transit agencies.

I think the $100 to $150 million cost estimate is key.

You can look at Jonathan English's report to the Toronto Region Board of Trade regarding Fare Integration. The date published was March 2023.

You can look at his plan, a zone based system that would unify fare systems across the region. The fare is flat if you ride two zones, Toronto would still have a single flat fare even though it's broken into two zones. Double fares for short cross-boundary trips would be eliminated. It doesn't matter what mode you take, Go Train, Go Bus or local transit.

Anyways, we have no idea what the province's plan regarding fare integration would look like, and we're still not fully clear regarding the scope. But, the TRBOT report does estimate the cost of this plan.

The Maximum first year cost is estimated at $154 million, and this doesn't take into account potentially large additional revenue from new riders, and efficiency gains from shifting riders off of crowded services and onto less crowded and (but currently more expensive) services.

Cost Breakdown of the Estimated Maximum Cost:

$34M - REDUCTION OF FARES ON SHORT CROSS-BOUNDARYTRIPS BETWEEN TTC AND 905 MUNICIPAL SYSTEMS
$45M - FREE TRANSFER BETWEEN GO TRANSIT AND TTC
$75M - REDUCTION IN GO TRANSIT FARES
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM FIRST-YEAR COST - $154M

This number is awfully similar to the internal estimate, suggesting that the provinces plan may have a similar scope. And it should be noted that the Fare Integration between TTC and GO is only estimated to cost a maximum of $45M.

Last edited:
The Feb 2024 estimate was already provided in September (https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/pr...cle_f9f968a1-0144-5c3f-a13c-a7126fe9053c.html)

Now regarding this new article,

I think the $100 to $150 million cost estimate is key.

You can look at Jonathan English's report to the Toronto Region Board of Trade regarding Fare Integration. The date published was March 2023.

You can look at his plan, a zone based system that would unify fare systems across the region. The fare is flat if you ride two zones, Toronto would still have a single flat fare even though it's broken into two zones. Double fares for short cross-boundary trips would be eliminated. It doesn't matter what mode you take, Go Train, Go Bus or local transit.

Anyways, we have no idea what the province's plan regarding fare integration would look like, and we're still not fully clear regarding the scope. But, the TRBOT report does estimate the cost of this plan.

The Maximum first year cost is estimated at $154 million, and this doesn't take into account potentially large additional revenue from new riders, and efficiency gains from shifting riders off of crowded services and onto less crowded and (but currently more expensive) services.

Cost Breakdown of the Estimated Maximum Cost:

$34M - REDUCTION OF FARES ON SHORT CROSS-BOUNDARYTRIPS BETWEEN TTC AND 905 MUNICIPAL SYSTEMS
$45M - FREE TRANSFER BETWEEN GO TRANSIT AND TTC
$75M - REDUCTION IN GO TRANSIT FARES
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM FIRST-YEAR COST - $154M

This number is awfully similar to the internal estimate, suggesting that the provinces plan may have a similar scope. And it should be noted that the Fare Integration between TTC and GO is only estimated to cost a maximum of $45M.
This is still the best plan I've ever seen.

Back