News   May 02, 2024
 823     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 421     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 327     0 

Green Line Parks System - Midtown Toronto

Another qualm I had was with the "green line" marking their using on all the pathways.

They expressed that the pathways are not being designed to be used for cycling

Ah yes, and they expressed this by putting someone on a bike in their graphic.

So their answer is that the pathways are poorly designed because they want them to be poorly designed. Got it

Community Consultation: New Park on Macpherson Avenue

The City of Toronto’s Parks, Forestry and Recreation division invites you to learn more about a new park on Macpherson Avenue, which is a part of the Green Line Implementation Plan.

Early concept plan options have been created for this new park coming to the Lower Davenport neighbourhood, and staff are hosting a virtual community meeting to:
  • Provide a project update
  • Present early concept plans for feedback
  • Identify community perspectives and priorities

Details:
Date:
November 17, 2020
Time: 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Meeting Registration

Macpherson Avenue Park - Public Meeting #1

Learn more about the development of Macpherson Avenue Park at the corner of Macpherson Avenue and Davenport Road, during our first virtual public meeting on November 17th, 2020 from 6:30pm to 8:00pm on Zoom. We will present the concept plan options for the future park, and discuss how this new park can serve the needs of community members.

Pre-register for this event now, or check back here for the meeting link on November 17, 2020.

Go to https://zoom.us/join then input the following when prompted
MEETING NUMBER: Check back on November 17
EVENT PASSWORD: Check back on November 17

Nov 17, 2020 6:30 PM

Virtual Public Meeting for New Park at Macpherson Avenue and Davenport Road

A virtual public meeting for the new park at Macpherson Avenue and Davenport Road will be held on November 17, 2020, from 6:30 to 8PM. Preliminary concept plans for one of the first new parks in the Green Line will be presented for feedback to help inform a preferred concept plan. Feedback will be collected during the virtual public meeting and an online questionnaire. Learn more here

Following the successful completion of the Green Line Implementation Plan, DTAH has been selected by the City of Toronto to lead the design and construction of the first two Green Line parks. The new park at Macpherson Avenue and Davenport Road will mark the eastern gateway to the Green Line, and together with the Geary Avenue Park Expansion the two new parks will transform the Dupont hydro corridor.

Green-Line_Axo_Macpherson-Davenport_Labels-DTAH_LONG.jpg

It looks like the two parcels mentioned above are either going to be bought or if already city owned will be worked on this year.

A little question: I know that burying power lines can be expensive but what about a utilidor like they use up north? Maybe less costly and potentially much better aesthically (especially if an artist gets involved!)

It looks like the two parcels mentioned above are either going to be bought or if already city owned will be worked on this year.

Greenline work is proceeding.

A little question: I know that burying power lines can be expensive but what about a utilidor like they use up north? Maybe less costly and potentially much better aesthically (especially if an artist gets involved!)

I'm not sure what you're asking here. You want to bury the Hydro One pylons? What are you suggesting as a preferred concept from 'up north'? Please include an example.

Greenline work is proceeding.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. You want to bury the Hydro One pylons? What are you suggesting as a preferred concept from 'up north'? Please include an example.
yoo-til-i-dawr ] show ipa. nounCanadian. an aboveground, insulated network of pipes and cables, used to convey water and electricity in communities situated in areas of permafrost. (Wiki)

As these are high voltage wires carrying hydro for the whole region I don’t know if it is feasible but I dislike the pylons in an urban area; bad in Scarborough and worse downtown. Another advantage is that they aren’t affected by harsh weather and are easier to repair. These systems are common in permafrost areas (Inuvik, Norilsk) and are still common in Eastern Europe. Just a thought.

yoo-til-i-dawr ] show ipa. nounCanadian. an aboveground, insulated network of pipes and cables, used to convey water and electricity in communities situated in areas of permafrost. (Wiki)

I understand the idea of 'Utliidor'

The thing is, there are different variations.

This one exists in Inuvik:

1708229677421.png

Credit as per the above.

I can't say I find that version particularly appealing.

So I'm wondering precisely what you have in mind.

There are different cost models depending on what one proposes and different spacial issues.

I understand the idea of 'Utliidor'

The thing is, there are different variations.

This one exists in Inuvik:

View attachment 541391

Credit as per the above.

I can't say I find that version particularly appealing.

So I'm wondering precisely what you have in mind.

There are different cost models depending on what one proposes and different spacial issues.
Taking the idea of what a utilidor does and coming up with a 'made in Toronto' solution would be the best course of action. The current configuration is, I imagine, something that came about in the 1950s and could use a rethink. The biggest problem in Quebec with the big Ice Storm was downed wires due to ice buildup which would be solved if the wires were enclosed. I get that burying electricity wires may be too costly in low density areas but the Davenport Corridor goes through areas of high density. As I live nearby I have had the opportunity to walk much of Davenport and as it begins to develop more intensely these pylons are going to become a bigger issue.

The timing may be good to start thinking about this as the electricity grid is going to need an overhaul to handle the drastic increase in energy required to operate just about everything now that batteries are becoming economical for wide use. Or maybe changing economics will make burial the best option?

Last edited:

Back