News   Jul 18, 2024
 225     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 381     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 777     0 

Great Films! Comment or Suggest Some....

Anyone willing to wager what will take Best Picture tonight? As of last night I've seen all films nominated for Best Picture except Toy Story 3 (I'm not a fan of the Toy Story films, they're good but just not my thing). Here's my picks:

Best Picture: The Social Network (King's Speech may win though, the Academy Voters like period pieces plus Harvey Weinstein will stop at nothing to campaign to get the voters to pick his films)
Best Actor: Colin Firth, The King's Speech
Best Actress: Natalie Portman, Black Swan (but Annette Bening was amazing in The Kids Are All Right)
Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale, The Fighter
Best Supporting Actress: Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
Best Foreign Film: Biutiful (sorry Incendies!)
Best Doc: Restrepo
Best Animated: Toy Story 3
Best Score: Social Network (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)
Best Screenplay: The King's Speech
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Social Network

Here are my pics. I hope Hailee wins

Best Picture:The King's Speech
Best Actor: Colin Firth, The King's Speech
Best Actress: Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Best Supporting Actor: Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech
Best Supporting Actress: Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
Best Foreign Film: Incendes
Best Doc: Inside Job
Best Animated: Toy Story 3
Best Score: Social Network
Best Screenplay: The King's Speech
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Social Network

Paul - starring Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogen, Jason Bateman, Jane Lynch, Sigourney Weaver. I haven't seen this yet because it only hits theatres on Friday (March 18th), but it looks hilarious! Since Pegg and Frost both starred and wrote Shaun Of The Dead, I expect this to be great! Here's the trailer. Who else is going to see Paul?

Pegg co-wrote Shaun of the Dead with Edgar Wright, Frost only starred in it. Same with the hilariously brilliant, "Hot Fuzz".

Pegg and Frost will also be in the upcoming Tintin movies as the Thompson and Thomson characters. The first movie will be The Secret of the Unicorn, and Edgar Wright is one of its screenwriters, so I guess you can consider that to be the spiritual successor to Hot Fuzz (which in turn was the spiritual successor to Shaun of the Dead).

Yeah, I keep hearing that Pegg, Frost, and Wright started a trilogy with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. I dunno if the Tintin movie would be the last part, but either way it's rad to see the three of them working on something again. In the meantime, Paul will do since it's two of the three, and looks hilarious. There appears to be a lot of great reviews for it here: http://on.fb.me/eLuVgk

Funkytown is pretty great. It's currently playing at The Carlton.

It's about booming 1970s Montreal and the height of disco. It's got a few cringe-worthy scenes (and a few continuity mistakes if you know Montreal's skyscrapers), but otherwise is quite enjoyable.

[video=youtube;g-c709ZO-_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-c709ZO-_E[/video]

If anyone is a fan of 70's/80's exploitation films be sure to check out the phenomenal "Hobo With a Shotgun". It looks like it was made in the 70's, it's full of intentionally campy dialogue, extreme violence, two psychotic brothers who look like Tom Cruise walking off the set of Ricky Business to pull in a second income here and the great Rutger Hauer. Even George Stromo. makes a wicked cameo! It's also Canadian, originally one of five faux trailers that played in between Quintin Tarantino & Robert Rodriguez's "Grindhouse" (2007) double bill.

Here's the faux trailer (from "Grindhouse") - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LlazPgxKrA

And the real trailer for the real "Hobo" feature (caution, extreme violence here so don't look at it if that upsets you) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssHEAOrAdCU

If this is your thing I guarantee a good time, we had a blast! Highly recommended.

After wallowing in some wonderful noir ( including a couple of films, The Prowler and Nightfall, that I saw with my parents when I was about seven ... ) for the past couple of months at Lightbox, I'm off to see some pretty Gregg Araki films there - starting with Kaboom next Friday.

Kevin Smith returns to his indie roots with the low budget film "Red State", his first horror film. Clearly inspired by that Westboro Baptist Church pack of fools, a group of teens accidentally get caught up in a very bad religious experience. Halfway through we had to put the film on pause and take a break from the film, it's that intense. Smith snubbed the Hollywood establishment after it's breakthrough screening at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year by bidding one dollar to buy his film back and distribute it himself. Smith tours "Red State" from city to city, he introduces the film and does a Q & A following the screening. He did it at Radio City Music Hall in NYC and most recently at Toronto's rockin' "Toronto Underground Cinema", an 800 seat cinema that was built in the basement of a condo/small mall on Spadina north of Queen in the early 1970's which has an amazing retro feel; the perfect spot for a low budget, highly effective Kevin Smith film. There's an Oscar worthy performance here too which unfortunately won't get recognized given Smith's snubbing of the establishment.
"Red State" hits DVD and blu ray on October 18th. Highly recommended.
Teaser trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOvbSKO6SMM

Back