News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 653     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 305     0 

Google Earth- Toronto buildings project

is there a way to auto download the models? and are you guys going to put some of the "filler" buildings in too? other than that, the models look amazing! reminds me of home:(

Can I make a request for the Royal York?

When/if Telus and Maple Leaf Square go up, thats it for seeing the Royal York in the skyline.

ummagumma66,

I think there is a way for you to "auto-download" the buildings by saving the buildings as your favourites (or "My Places") in Google Earth 4. That way GE will bring up the models you want to see every time you open it. The problem is that if you have lots of buildings to see (especially those with lots of detail) GE will take a while to load them all up, and might even crash in the process.

The urban fabric of Toronto is so huge that I can't possibly do every single building in the city in my lifetime. I might eventually get around to doing smaller, less landmark-like buildings, but right now there are just so many nice looking or interesting buildings and projects in Toronto that I really want to render in detail.

Simple filler buildings are very easy to create... just copy the satellite map from GE to Sketchup, draw the outline of the building, extrude it to the desired height and voila! you have a filler building. You can even take photos of the building facade and then paste it onto the model as a texture (but usually the textures look awfully awkward in Sketchup and GE). However I think that is too simple for me... I like to do more challenging buildings.

stokell,

Sure you can request the Royal York. As a matter of fact I did start a model of it, but it's not finished. Since the Royal York's exterior is more complicated than anything we are building today, it would take longer for me to finish the Royal York than to build an architectsAlliance glass box.

Eventually I hope to get around to doing models of old Toronto skyscrapers- Commerce Court North, Canada Life, perhaps even the failed Eatons College Park design from the 1930s.

The Met Condos

met.jpg

Wylie, these are so good it's time you learn a proper rendering program... you could start banking projects for a mini diagram page for UT forum... similar to SkyscraperPage.

Cass or Whistler would help you no doubt but clearly you have a great eye.

^i dont think "proper" rendering programs can display into Google Earth, so thats why he uses Google Sketchup

3D:

I do know how to 3D render in another program, namely 3D Studio Max. I took a course on it a few years ago, and it was because of the 3DS course that I've been able to "master" Sketchup so easily.

Unfortunately, I don't have 3DS on my computer. Since I find Sketchup to be a much simpler and smaller program than 3DS, it's a better program to use for recreational model making. The Google Earth features also make it very attractive.

wyliepoon

I was making a model for Mississauga City Hall, when i went to upload it to google warehouse it said server error and the file was to large. The size figure it gave was larger than what my file size really is. do you know how i can upload it?

Martinsizon,

Another Mississauga City Hall model? I don't mind some competition!

The maximum size of upload onto the 3D Warehouse is 5 MB. This not only includes the Sketchup file itself, but also the .kmz file which is needed for the building to show up in Google Earth. If the combined size of the files is 5 MB you'll get the server error message.

You can cut down on the size of the file in many ways. One is to eliminate the number of shapes in your model. The best way to start is to get rid of Sketchup components (like windows, cars, etc.) in the model if you have them. Next you can eliminate details that you think aren't important or things people won't notice. Another method is to cut down on the size/number of textures in the model.

If all fails, you'll have to upload your model without placing it in Google Earth. That way you'll only be uploading the model file without the .kmz file, but people viewing your model in the 3D Warehouse will not be able to see it in Google Earth.

Best of luck. There's definitely more than enough buildings in the GTA for the both of us to model in a lifetime!

The interior of the Royal York model is quite interesting! I didn't know you could go right inside these things in Google Earth, but you can.

If you can rooms inside wylie, maybe you could add little hidden Easter Eggs like on some DVDs as a calling card - some surprise hidden inside for those people who care to fly into them. Just a thought...

wylie ,

My model is 3349.44KB by itself. Dont worry this is probably the only model i will be making considering i dont have enough time to make a model. Considering you did take a course and i am just a high school student i am no competiton to you. What size do i need to cut done till i can upload it?

Some screenshots i took of the models in google earth: www.skyscrapercity.com/sh...p?t=398029

Back