65     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 426     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.8K     7 

Google Earth- Toronto buildings project

W

wyliepoon

As you may or may not know, I'm now hooked on the Google Sketchup 3D modelling program. One of the great features of Sketchup is that it can be used to create building models which can be placed and viewed in Google Earth. The models can also be placed on Google's 3D Warehouse website for other Google Earth/Sketchup users to download and see (although you must have Google Earth 4 to see textures/materials on buildings).

For the past few days I have begun a project to see how many Toronto buildings (real and proposed) I can build in Sketchup, place onto Google Earth, and upload to the 3D Warehouse. I got some stuff done...

College Park 3

The first Sketchup model I ever did, on the now "rejected" College Park 3 tower design, is downloadable from the 3D Warehouse for view on Sketchup and Google Earth.

(Model updated October 2- made it less slender and made the podium cover more of the site)

cp3.jpg

Spire

Spire is my second model. It's also downloadable for Google Sketchup and Earth. I made it based on the photo updates over in the Spire official thread (thanks to all you photographers! ). One note is that the colour of the glass differs from the rendering below and what you will see in Google Earth- in Earth the building appears dark green for no apparent reason.

spire.jpg

Bay Adelaide Centre

This model is only available for view on Sketchup. I have tried to place it in Google Earth a few times, and every time I tried it didn't work (if you have Sketchup and a 3D Warehouse account you can try placing the model in Earth and then load it onto the 3D Warehouse for me... just remember to give me credit for the model).

EDIT (Sep 15)- this model now viewable on Google Earth

bay2.jpg

I'll update this thread whenever I finish a building and post it onto 3D Warehouse. Requests for buildings to make are welcome (I admit that I'm not as skilled as Cassiusa to make the more sophisticated models... and don't ask me to make the Absolute Tower, because someone has already posted a model of it on 3D Warehouse).

I agree with Canuck: those look great Wylie... except Mississauga City Hall is much taller than this model makes it look. Each floor needs to be assigned greater height maybe? (I don't know how sketch-up works exactly.)

Canuck:

Right now I can churn out a new building every day. On weekends I might be able to pull off two in a day.

interchange:

You're right, the MCC tower model does look shorter than it actually is. Although my buildings are to scale relative to the ground, they are not to scale according to height. My Scarborough Civic Centre model also looks kind of squat compared to the real building.

For now I don't plan on revising any of my models. However there is an easy-to-use scale tool in Sketchup which allows you to drag the building's dimensions. If the proportions bother you, you can always scale the model!

In time for hockey season...

Maple Leaf Gardens

mlg.jpg

(for no apparent reason, the Toronto Maple Leafs flag on the building changed into a second American flag when I viewed the model in Google Earth... could it be a conspiracy?)

Oh Wylie, how you tempt me to learn Sketch-up. If you were to model, say, the ACC and the new Telus building, they would provide more context for trainshed play...

Love your models!

^ As requested...

Air Canada Centre

acc.jpg

acc2.jpg

ACC with Union Station in Google Earth (note that the grade difference between the ACC and Union Station is not noticeable in GE. You can also see the base of Royal Bank Plaza in the view... it's not my model)

Am I the only one who has buildings hovering 300 ft in the air?

Back