426     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 518     0 

Good Condos in North York and Surrounding Area

CanadaGuy85

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and have a question about finding and renting North York condos.
I hope this is an alright question to ask here.

I just got a job at the 401 and 404 area, closer to Victoria Park Ave. I need to move closer to there since I am too far to commute. I'm looking for a 1-bedroom incl. all utilities, and has a parking space and storage. Hardest thing is I have a max. budget of $1250/month for rent but would like to be lower if possible and not live in a bad building or bad area.

Can anyone here help me out with some good condos/apartments in the area, ones that would be within my budget and still within driving distance to work.

I would like to stay between Yonge St. and Victoria Park Rd, and Sheppard Ave. and Eglinton Ave. I am also interested in east of DVP south of Eglinton. Would Markham or Thornhill be cheaper? There may not be as many places to rent though?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Actually, the commute from downtown to 404/401 is not too bad, so you could live downtown if you're into the urban lifestyle.

There seem to be a lot of less expensive condos around Eglinton and DVP, so you'll get more bang for the buck. It's not a bad area (as long as you're North of Eglinton). However, some of the condos are a bit on the 'old' side (old building, old people). A couple of new ones (Accolade) have recently gone up.

IMHO, the Sheppard/Bayview and Yonge area is getting overpriced. It isn't that great a locale and people mainly live there for the proximity to the TTC (not a factor in your case). Also, the traffic problems seem to get worse every year.

exgemmy

at Kennedy just north of Sheppard thre are quite a few condos on which would probably be cheaper.

That being said the life style is more suburban. If you have a car it shouldn't be an issue as you're still pretty close to groceries and malls.

My parents live at one of the older condos at DVP/Wynford and they love it. Because the building is a bit older, condo fees are relatively low when compared to many of the newer buildings in the area. This in turn means lower rent for those wishing to go this route. Their particular building is also extremely well equipped with indoor pool, tennis courts, squash courts, theatre room, car wash stations, two party rooms, etc.

If you don't have/need a car, the transit in the area is quite reasonable, with special TTC shuttles to downtown (I know that's not really any help to the OP, but still a nice feature).

My father is actually a real estate agent and he specializes in that cluster of buildings, so if you're interested I can have him contact you about possible units for rent. If not, no worries, just check out MLS.

As another poster mentioned however, they are a little older, but that can be good or bad depending on your needs. The interiors can be dated, however they don't suffer from the closet sized rooms of today's condos.

If it makes a difference, my parents are in the 5&7 Concorde Place buildings.

Because the building is a bit older, condo fees are relatively low when compared to many of the newer buildings in the area. This in turn means lower rent for those wishing to go this route. Their particular building is also extremely well equipped with indoor pool, tennis courts, squash courts, theatre room, car wash stations, two party rooms, etc.

An older building with a pool has low condo fees? How is that possible?

An older building with a pool has low condo fees? How is that possible?

Not just a pool, but a lot of amenities which would make one assume the fees would be high. The main reason for the relatively low fees is the fact that two towers share the facilities and there are a large number of suites in each. My father actually served as the treasurer for a while and said that the buildings have so much money in the reserve funds they don't know what to do with it all. They are frequently upgrading various items throughout the complex.

Back