News   Jul 25, 2024
 669     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 509     0 

Going to be in Toronto in Sept.

Ummagumma66

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm going to be visiting Toronto in September, I really wont be there for too long though, I'm just wondering what I should do or where to go, obliviously I will want to take some photos and do the tourist bit but are there any suggestions for things that might be more off the beaten path. any suggestions would be nice! thanks!

Needs more info... How long do you have exactly?
Where will you be staying? Will you have a car or just be getting around by TTC (perhaps your best option)?

I agree you need to refine it a bit more.

Age, interests, money willing to spend etc. would be helpful. I'm sure everyone on here would be more than willing to provide some advice.

I'm going to be visiting Toronto in September, I really wont be there for too long though, I'm just wondering what I should do or where to go ...

you may want to attend the 34th Toronto International Film Festival (Sept 10 - 19, 2009) http://tiff09.ca/default.aspx i recommend advance ticket / voucher purchases which starts in early July.

If you like taking photos, you can go to scarborough bluffs and guildwood park. There's some nice scenery of the bluffs over looking the lake.

Harbourfront is nice to walk around and be sure to check out the wave decks, especially simcoe deck. You won't see those type anywhere in the world. Then you can wander around entertainment district. Queen st (fashion street), King St (clubland and theatres).

If you like birdwatching and/or hiking, there's Tommy Thompson Park downtown.

If you like historic buildings, you can check out distillery district and cabbage town.

- Kensington Market, near Spadina and College is a neat neighbourhood to wander around in. A bit gritty, lots of little cafes, restaurants and shops. Decent cheap eats like empanadas, tacos, burritos, and great coffee at a few places including Moonbean.

- If you come from a place without a Chinatown, definitely check out the strip along Spadina between roughly Queen and College. Lots of places selling Chinese and Vietnamese meats and veg on the street, restaurants, and shops and, uh, unique smells :)

- The Distillery District on the east end of downtown is a fully restored Victorian distillery complex. It's quite touristy and a bit expensive, but definitely worth checking out for photo opportunities. Lots of galleries and sculptures if you're into art. A few restaurants with nice patios. The Mill St. Brewpub has mediocre food but a great variety of unique beers.

- Leslieville is an up-and-coming neighbourhood along Queen St. starting east of the Don River. It has a neat mix of gentrified galleries and restaurants along with some of the older establishments. Lots of character.

- For about $6 roundtrip you can take a short ferry ride from the foot of Yonge St. across to the Toronto Islands. Centre Island is quite touristy, with an amusement park aimed at small kids, but Ward's Island is an interesting place to walk around. On the western end there is a small neighbourhood of quirky little houses, many owned and decorated by artists. It's like a piece of cottage country in the heart of a big city. Great city skyline views from there, too.

Ward's Island.

Wikkid beach. (my favourite in the city)
Interesting neighbourhood.
Beautiful city views.

6.50 ferry ride.

Well worth it.

Accessible from the Ferry Docks at the foot of Bay Street.

you guys forgot the obvious one. The cn tower if you like being high up and taking pics. (kind of expensive thou)

I dunno how long I'll be in Toronto, perhaps a few days, I'm hoping to be crashing on a buddies couch, and money I have no clue as to my hright now. Thanks for the suggestions. I'd love to go to the TIFF but that might be well out of my price range...

If you're on a budget, you're best bet is just to walk around downtown. Walking is free. Bring a bottle of water and some snacks with you. Most places in the downtown area is walkable. Or you can buy some tokens if you need to travel on TTC for longer distances like scarborough or north york.

If you're here Aug 21, CNE has $1.75 admission that day.

Labour Day this year is on Monday, September 7, 2009. Before that date, it is summertime. A lot of tourist venues will be crowded, especially on the Labour Day weekend.

Labour Day is a holiday, so most non-tourist venues are closed.

After that date, school is back in session and summer is "over" but the weather maybe fine. However, a lot of tourist venues maybe open only on weekends. Except for the year round sites such as the zoo and the CN Tower, which should be less crowded.

Back