News   Apr 23, 2024
 925     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 423     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Oy. I wish they could just take a photo of the beaux-arts train shed and get rid of it. Or at least, get rid of most of it and renovate the part they keep to allow for catenary. Of course it's not that simple. And I don't think third rail will work for the reason posted by anaki101 above.

I wonder if there is a heritage loophole based on the southernmost two tracks of the shed were only added in the 1980's.

If the trainshed were pared back to the original 11 tracks, that would make 4 platforms at the south end that could be opened up to the required height. That would allow some limited electrification to begin while the remainder is raised.

My fear is that a new construction project will take so long as to force delays to RER, SmartTrack, etc.

It's also frustrating to think just how long the work on the trainshed has been going on. It's still half-demolished now so probably easier to tear down than to keep trying to alter it.

- Paul

Bombardier TRAXX with Last Mile. Done! This is a conventional locomotive equipped with a battery, for short periods of operation off-catenary. More than sufficient capacity to move in and out of Union - designed exactly for scenarios like this. I can't imagine that Bombardier and Metrolinx haven't already had discussions about this.

Bombardier TRAXX with Last Mile. Done! This is a conventional locomotive equipped with a battery, for short periods of operation off-catenary. More than sufficient capacity to move in and out of Union - designed exactly for scenarios like this. I can't imagine that Bombardier and Metrolinx haven't already had discussions about this.

Given all the issues Bombardier has been experiencing (including its plummeting stock price) I would not risk buying from them. All one needs to do is look at Toronto to see how bad they are at delivering.

The thing is though there is nowhere else to put it AND demolishing it would require a closure of the station... that is not something that can be done quite easily. After the metro centre fiasco of the 70s there are so many layers of protection on Union Station that no significant changes will ever be done to it. The last time someone wanted to make such major changes to the train shed MLSE wanted to put an arena on top of it. They later abandoned the idea rather than risk bankrupting themselves.

I believe that proposal by MLSE turned the train shed into an arena and the great hall into its entrance.

Didn't stop them from building the central glass atrium - the "heritage" bush shed matters to no one except a few Ye olde time rail fans. They are welcome to take a piece of what's left home.

Yeah, having to find an engineering solution to a simple problem because we don't have the foresight to foresee these issues and get all wax nostalgic or otherwise too indifferent to challenge the nonsensical application of rules. For a rusty shed that had been open aired for two years and requiring the platform extensively salted the heritage argument is a sick joke. Keep at it -corrosion might do the trick when decision makers couldn't.

AoD

Last edited:

After the Flexity debacle, I'm inclined to go with Bombardier BombSled technology.....passengers push the train until it's moving, then jump on when it gets under the catenary.....lots of people to help on those crowded platforms !

- Paul

After the Flexity debacle, I'm inclined to go with Bombardier BombSled technology.....passengers push the train until it's moving, then jump on when it gets under the catenary.....lots of people to help on those crowded platforms !

- Paul

Also, does it make sense for us to adopt a somewhat unconventional technology just to get around the issue with one station - which frankly is the bigger problem that should have dealt with in the first place?

AoD

Also, does it make sense for us to adopt a somewhat unconventional technology just to get around the issue with one station - which frankly is the bigger problem that should have dealt with in the first place?

Even if the technology is workable, it will have to be added to every electric-propulsion vehicle - VIA, GO, ST, and who knows what else will come next - that uses the depot. That may actually limit the vehicle choices. So it's a pretty expensive workaround over the longer term.

Seems to me we should just raze the trainshed and start over. I'm sure that a competent architecht could produce a design that alludes to the Bush qualities without replicating its worst or most constraining attributes.

- Paul

-

Best option would be to rip the trainshed out altogether (maybe put some pieces of it in some square near the stations as a tribute), and extend the glass shed over the whole thing.

I can't believe how wonderful the station is when it's uncovered. That dank POS shed needs to go. Heritage or not, it is garbage.

Best option would be to rip the trainshed out altogether (maybe put some pieces of it in some square near the stations as a tribute), and extend the glass shed over the whole thing.

You're too kind - I wouldn't even want to move it anywhere near the station - it'd be an eyesore. Melt it down and recycle it.

AoD

You're too kind - I wouldn't even want to move it anywhere near the station - it'd be an eyesore. Melt it down and recycle it.

AoD
It could look interesting if you put a few of the steel supports and half the arch standing in a square. An abstract art piece if you will...

Actually, it would look great somewhere near the waterfront. In front of Redpath maybe?

It could look interesting if you put a few of the steel supports and half the arch standing in a square. An abstract art piece if you will...

Actually, it would look great somewhere near the waterfront. In front of Redpath maybe?

No thanks! You might be able to make a case for dumping a chunk of it at the Roundhouse, but for the love of gawd, stay away from the waterfront. The latter deserves an Kapoor, a Holzer or an Eliasson, not a Bush trainshed - fragmented or otherwise.

AoD

No thanks! You might be able to make a case for dumping a chunk of it at the Roundhouse, but for the love of gawd, stay away from the waterfront. The latter deserves an Kapoor, a Holzer or an Eliasson, not a Bush trainshed - fragmented or otherwise.

AoD
I'm just trying to placate the heritage freaks...

I'm with you on melting it down.. Actually it would look great to just dynamite the whole thing, but God forbid, it's old therefore it's worth something...

No thanks! You might be able to make a case for dumping a chunk of it at the Roundhouse, but for the love of gawd, stay away from the waterfront.

AoD

I'm sure we'd be able to do something like this with the pieces, which wouldn't be too bad for the waterfront:

3129730_44bf78f6.jpg

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos

Or maybe we can turn it into cute little cubes like this:

Back