News   Jul 12, 2024
 899     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 806     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 334     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

At the rate they are going, I expect the secondary station to be underground the existing tracks, between Bay and Union, for the electrified Lakeshore service. So no chance for spectacular train shed architecture.
The option to divert the Kitchener/Milton/Barrie to Bathurst North Yard is substantially cheaper (half a billion or so), and thus more likely to be built first. So there is still a possibility for something spectacular. However, I don't think Toronto lacks for visionaries, only that such remarkable works come with a price tag we've never really been able to stomach.

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but is there a reason that we can't "upgrade" the existing bush shed to install the glass roof that the design originally called for? Respect the heritage element while also allowing light in?
There are a number of reasons, but the overwhelming one is that Parks Canada rejected the initial project to replace the full shed roof, the condition for getting a partial glass atrium is having a green roof. This mixed design also maximizes the clearances for future electrification.

There are a number of reasons, but the overwhelming one is that Parks Canada rejected the initial project to replace the full shed roof, the condition for getting a partial glass atrium is having a green roof. This mixed design also maximizes the clearances for future electrification.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your answer, but I wasn't referring to replacing the entire Bush shed with a roof similar to the one currently being built, I was referring to "updating" the Bush shed to install the glass paneling that I understand the Bush shed design originally called for back when it was built. I guess that would likely preclude the possibility of a green roof, but is that really such an issue? Also, I can't see how that would be any better or worse for clearances for future electrification than keeping the shed as it is.

Anyway, I know it's not going to happen...I was just wondering if it had been considered at some point.

The option to divert the Kitchener/Milton/Barrie to Bathurst North Yard is substantially cheaper (half a billion or so), and thus more likely to be built first. So there is still a possibility for something spectacular.
I really doubt it. I can't imagine anything more asinine than terminating some of the GO Trains west of Spadina.

your right, the next thing done to fix capacity issues at Union will be to underground the Lakeshore lines. If only they could find a way to significantly reduce dwell times..

Anyway, I know it's not going to happen...I was just wondering if it had been considered at some point.

It had been considered briefly, but quickly discarded. Doing so would make cease to make it a "heritage" artifact, as it was not built with the skylights.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It had been considered briefly, but quickly discarded. Doing so would make cease to make it a "heritage" artifact, as it was not built with the skylights.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

We've done a lot worse to our other heritage buildings - compared to just finishing them the way the architect originally intended!

I thought the issue was that there'd be a big problem with climate control, if skylights were inserted into that low-slung roof.

From Saturday night...

IMG_2412.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,050
Last edited:
I don't think Toronto lacks for visionaries, only that such remarkable works come with a price tag we've never really been able to stomach.

I actually think it's the other way around: Toronto doesn't lack money, it lacks vision.

I've lost count, but there is probably about $10-15 billion in funded transit capital expansion either under construction or on the books right now in the GTA. There are an impressive number of projects but, if you list them, you realize that very few of these projects are real "game changers" in how people in the region will move. All of the projects, taken as a cohesive whole, hardly constitute an integrated transit plan. Many will actually put additional stress on the system as it already is!

You might even say that the presence of all this money (and, inevitably, the politics that comes with all this money) has corrupted whatever vision might have come our way had we had less money to play with.

Great pictures, thanks! A couple of those shots from above show the multiple projects going on really well.

I for one find it fascinating to walk through union now, sure its a bit of a pain but short term pain for long term gain!

Great pictures, thanks! A couple of those shots from above show the multiple projects going on really well.

I for one find it fascinating to walk through union now, sure its a bit of a pain but short term pain for long term gain!

We sometimes get lost in the minutiae and complain too much about our transit/infrastructure but there are several projects around that, quite frankly, should amaze us.

One is the multiple projects at Union......we are, literally, building in it, under it, over it and around it at the same time in multiple projects....and we have kept it open and serving the same amount (actually growing amounts) of people as we did before......it is a stunning feat really.

The other is the various GTS projects...again we are lifting/lowering/diverting trains and tracks and keeping (most) of the trains that ran on it before running....just think that we managed to lower trains below a busy street like Strachan and, for the most part, saw only minor inconvenience to cars/pedestrians/trains during the whole thing.

We have a ton of work to do in this city/region but I think it is worthwhile to sit back once in a while and pat our collective selves on the back and say "wow, we did that?"

TOareafan:

While it might be amazing from our perspective (besides the fact that the project is long overdue), it's really not that big deal at an international (or even North American, if you include NYC) level - the project (at a 1B or so) is downright miserly, especially considering the usage we're talking about.

AoD

Back