News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.9K     4 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 743     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Um what? Haha
Did you have a location in mind?

No. I don't care where it goes. It can go in a landfill for all I care.

No. And it's not even close to being finished, the historical part is due to be refurbished. If anyone thinks there's no difference, no matter where you're standing, you have a short memory. It was much worse.

As others have said, if you're not near the middle of the platform, there's very little difference. I was standing on one of the platforms and I had to walk all the way to the middle to even be sure the roof was removed there. It was. But it's so hard to tell, that's when I realized this shed replacement barely affects the station at all.

Honestly, as stated above, unless you happen to get off in the middle 3-4 cars of the train, you don't notice much of a difference in natural light. It's just as dank and dark as ever. :-(

Honestly, I've been through there many times before and after the new roof has started to go up, and I think the new central portion has made a tremendous difference to the feeling of the old shed. Short of taking ambient light readings I don't see how else to convince you of this.

Honestly, as stated above, unless you happen to get off in the middle 3-4 cars of the train, you don't notice much of a difference in natural light. It's just as dank and dark as ever. :-(

They have only completed the bulk of renovations of platform 24 and 25, and parts of platform 21. Every other platform hasn't been anywhere near completed so of course unaltered platforms with no repairs and cleanup look the same as before.

They have only completed the bulk of renovations of platform 24 and 25, and parts of platform 21. Every other platform hasn't been anywhere near completed so of course unaltered platforms with no repairs and cleanup look the same as before.

I have a feeling we're going to regret spending so much money on such a tiny canopy instead of further track upgrades, track twinning, etc., but I'll wait until it's finished before passing final judgement.

Um what? Haha
Did you have a location in mind?

Now that we have the rail museum at Roundhouse Park couldn't a portion of it be moved there??? Just something that popped into my head. It would retain some of the structure for historical relevance while allowing the station to fully upgrade.

Though I know I am going to be slammed by adma for suggesting we move the structure away from it's home as it removes some of the historical aspect.

Even if Parks Canada allows that, there isn't the budget for a full redo - and the latter is probably more of a limiting factor IMO than the designation argument.

AoD

Before we get all self-absorbed with this project, look at what Melbourne is up to:

http://vote.majorprojects.vic.gov.au/

Sorry, the Zaha proposal alone make our Union Station project look like child's play - and this is their second hub revitalization (first is the Southern Cross project by Grimshaw) - we can barely manage one.

AoD

Last edited:
wow.... def shows that whoever designed that thing at union either graduated with a C- in architectural design or was just to preoccupied watching hockey.....

Those are nice design competition images, sure, but they may remain fantasy for all we know. I did a quick look and couldn't find any mention of a budget for actually implementing any of the designs. Toronto had a lot of very expensive work to do at union. We're lucky the shed got as much priority as it did.

Before we get all self-absorbed with this project, look at what Melbourne is up to:

Sorry, the Zaha proposal alone make our Union Station project look like child's play - and this is their second hub revitalization (first is the Southern Cross project by Grimshaw) - we can barely manage one.

AoD

This can not be built in Toronto, we are too cheap for something grand like this. Imagine Ford nation seeing the price tag for something like this...

AoD

No need to look so far from home, with Calatrava's WTC project taking shape to be larger than Grand Central Terminal. Though at $4 billion for that project, maybe we should some virtues in Toronto thinking small. (Though it looks like a mistake we did not reconfigure the tracks in the shed.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/18/n...to-be-the-grandest.html?ref=santiagocalatrava

July 23rd:

ZP7blUT.jpg

I noticed that they are tearing down the roof of the shed over the first platform directly abutting the station building. Is the roof not going to be original on the restored portion?

If the shed weren't historic, we'd probably be looking at doing something just as spectacular as Melbourne. But then we'd probably consider cheapening the starchitecture that won our competition to the point of near banality.

Back