News   May 13, 2024
 514     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 821     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     2 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

For the record, the news story appeared on Friday, July 20 on page A12 - Greater Toronto Area - Train Station Renovation.

Thank you Louroz, that's all I needed. and thanks for the mailing offer, but there's no need. I don't have a scanner hooked up so it's camera for me too.

shedlc4.jpg

Seems impressive but kinda half-assed that they're only doing one section of the shed. As for the render, where are the stairwells?

I broke my new digital camera while I was down in Australia Cassius! Haven't bothered going in to get it fixed.

Congrats and thanks for finding and posting the rendering CDL!

Louroz

As for the proposed partial new roof. I like it!

Its very Toronto. Better than what is there today, we are only replacing less than half of the roof, and its nothing too splashy. Its perfect.

Louroz

I'm just wondering how the roof would look like after prolonged exposure to exhaust from the GO and VIA locomotives. Perhaps the glass for the roof should be tinted instead of clear as shown in the rendering...

... or maybe Union Station should go for electrification.

Holy sh*t! I had no idea we were talking about something so substantial. I think it's fantastic. If only it covered the whole shed...

Anything would be an improvement but at any rate for the love of god can't they get some students to paint the shed roof as a summer job?

That new roof looks amazing and actually looks better with the Bush shed strangely incorporated. Will the green roof be planted on the parts of the existing Bush shed that they maintain?

I like this approach a lot - cool, sleek and modern on the inside, crispy crunchy Bush shed coating on the outside.

I'm licking my lips.

I like what is being done but I think that Canada's premier train station could do so much better.

This place is ripe for the starchitect treatment.

Not that I'm expecting to get anything close to this, but I just have to put this here, worthy of the eye candy alone...

265446849_292f666810_o.jpg

:eek:

Looks great.

As long as they make sure that there are staircases emerging into the atrium section - I think I see a couple at the edges of the atrium - that's what would creat a sense of arrival into the space for the departing passengers. Otherwise, someone looking down the platform may not even notice the atrium - just a brighter lit section down the platform.

Won't the glass get dirty with the diesel locomotives?

I wish they'd double the length (east/west) so that it went further west. I can understand that they're doing the glass on the east side as that's where most passengers access the GO track level. But from what I recall, they're going to be adding new stairs and elevators on the western side of Union Station relatively soon so passengers will be more evenly distributed when entering track level. In addition to having the glass atrium go further west for that reason, the further west it goes the better the exterior views would be, I'd think. With Telus directly south and the main CBD to the north as well as Royal York, much of which won't be overly visible judging by what that rendering shows.

Unfortunately I can't say I'm thrilled with the render. Does nothing for me. Looks boring and cheap.

Back