News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.1K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 663     1 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

??? They are adjacent. We're not talking Waterloo East here.

This thread is about the Union train shed. At Union, GO and VIA share the same train shed but have separate concourses. At Waterloo, domestic and international services shared a concourse area, but Waterloo International's train shed is a completely separate structure from Waterloo station.

You're the one who brought up concourses. I don't see what it has to do with my point of Waterloo mainline station having a light-filled train shed.

You said intercity. Intercity equipment is used on these runs.

Yes, I said intercity, not InterCity. You seriously think that when I said "intercity long distance trains", I was talking about the model of train equipment used? Seriously? I guess by your definition, Oakville and Brampton are intercity destinations because VIA stops there.

Yes, I said intercity, not InterCity. You seriously think that when I said "intercity long distance trains", I was talking about the model of train equipment used?
... okay, I think we're done here. Clearly when talking about intercity services running from mainline London stations, one is talking about equipment and services. You know the ones branded with intercity on the timetables and trains - or at least used to be before the break-up.

Way to sink a thread #246: get into a pissing match about semantics.

Indeed. I have a rule never to argue about semantics, so I'm out.

Now, if anyone actually feels like discussing the role of the central train station and its associated train shed in the urban landscape...

*cough*

3092876825_532afcb362_o.jpg

3093717396_8f98abe9f6_o.jpg

3092876963_3764f0d3d4_o.jpg

More here.

Mmm... sextacular! I like the Union Plaza at the south end. It will be another city-square, and it will provide an added avenue to Skydome, not to mention rest of the south-side.

Questions:
- Does anyone know about platform/track utilization at Union? Are all of them used at the same time, or could some be removed? From aerial pics, I see that two are bypass, and nine lead to the train-shed.

ETA???? Anyone???

Please start now!

Off topic... but in that pdf file on page 15, it shows 45 Bay as a future development. This is the one place I've been waiting to see what will be put there.

Ok, I have starred at the proposed canopy for quite a while now and don't get it. Am I missing something, or will we only replace ~1/5th of the shed with a newer, better canopy? The proposed canopy itself is okay, but I can't imagine just replacing such a small segment. Outside of glossy renders where everything has a quasi heavenly glow, I can't imagine this looking cogent. The "Union Plaza" part does look good though.

Mmm... sextacular! I like the Union Plaza at the south end. It will be another city-square, and it will provide an added avenue to Skydome, not to mention rest of the south-side.

Questions:
- Does anyone know about platform/track utilization at Union? Are all of them used at the same time, or could some be removed? From aerial pics, I see that two are bypass, and nine lead to the train-shed.

There are 13 tracks right now. GO is adding a new 14th track.

All of GO's tracks, 1-7 (8 to be added later) can be used at the same time in the AM and PM peak. VIA currently has tracks 9-13. They don't use all the tracks, but the trains for VIA lay over longer (they take longer to load and are often serviced). Theoretically, there can be 7 trains in there at any one time, so they need more space than you might think. I believe GO will get an extra track or two.

Track 2 and 3 are almost exclusively for Lakeshore runs, track 1 is used for Georgetown and Richmond Hill boardings, track 4 is often used for Lakeshore express trains, tracks 5, 6, and 7 are for Barrie, Stouffville and Milton and the occasional Lakeshore. AM unloadings can be more random.

Tracks 14 and 15 are by-pass tracks. They are still sometimes used for freights. No tracks will likely be removed.

Ok, I have starred at the proposed canopy for quite a while now and don't get it. Am I missing something, or will we only replace ~1/5th of the shed with a newer, better canopy? The proposed canopy itself is okay, but I can't imagine just replacing such a small segment. Outside of glossy renders where everything has a quasi heavenly glow, I can't imagine this looking cogent. The "Union Plaza" part does look good though.

Even less: the new atrium will replace 1/7th of the original trainshed.

Well, it all reflect a certain powerful sentiment out there that the Bush sheds are a critical part of the station's heritage...

Not only that ... I don't think people even stand under most of the atrium, correct me if I'm wrong ... i.e. it extends passed the loading areas of the train.

Well, it all reflect a certain powerful sentiment out there that the Bush sheds are a critical part of the station's heritage...

Is that a joke, or do people actually consider the shed "heritage" worthy? If so, who?

I'm leaning toward the joke side ... it's a matter of $$ ... I'm sure it would cost a ton to cover the entire thing.

Also, as I said above, if it's not useful to anyone why bother.

Back