News   Jun 12, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 12, 2024
 508     1 
News   Jun 12, 2024
 571     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The route for the Peterborough line uses the CP tracks from Peterborough to Leaside and the GO Don Branch to Union. There is a separate thread for that and you can Google Shining Waters Railway for more details.

I'd be nice to see GO use Allandale as a regional hub for simcoe country, such as traveling to the ski resorts or just improving bus service in barrie.

How cool would that be, a ski train here in Ontario? I know the tracks don't run that deep into Collingwood on the BCRY as ShonTron noted...but in an ideal train-dreamer world, GO service could extend to Collingwood on winter weekends, as the Lakeshore West service extends to Niagara in the summer. Just a pipedream, I know...

How cool would that be, a ski train here in Ontario? I know the tracks don't run that deep into Collingwood on the BCRY as ShonTron noted...but in an ideal train-dreamer world, GO service could extend to Collingwood on winter weekends, as the Lakeshore West service extends to Niagara in the summer. Just a pipedream, I know...

Even though the tracks do not go into downtown Collingwood anymore, the right-of-way is largely intact. One of the Ryerson University client-based studio projects last year was a feasibility study on passenger rail service between Toronto and Collingwood. The study was commissioned by Collingwood, Wasaga Beach and Town of the Blue Mountains, so there's interest from the municipalities at a concept level.

passenger rail to Peterborough - such a good idea! but how do you get it to union in toronto? last time i google mapped the train line from Pbo to To it goes on the track that goes between dupont and davenport. also what other stops would you add to make it profitable?

Public transit isn't going to be profitable in this environment. The question should be "what will it take to get the line to the point where the losses are easy to subsidize?"

At which point such luxuries such as weekend ski trips and cottages are likely to only be reachable by those who can still afford to drive with $2/litre gas.

...and those who can't and still want to will be clamouring for rail transit. They'll always outnumber the 1%.

As an avid skier, I've dreamt of rail service to Collingwood/Blue Mountain for years. It would be so much more civilized, almost European! If anything, being forced to drive up there only discourages me from going, so if a cozy train option were available, I would go far more often.

Ugh. We are already pushing the limits of a commuter rail network with Barrie(Allendale), it's a 1 hr train ride!!!!!

It's 1 hour 43 minutes, almost as long as the commute to Kitchener! This is an insanely long commute, GO is basically becoming like VIA on these routes. I would not be surprised if a large fraction of the customers on this route are not daily commuters, but rather intercity travellers who might take the bus back the other direction.

It's 1 hour 43 minutes, almost as long as the commute to Kitchener! This is an insanely long commute, GO is basically becoming like VIA on these routes. I would not be surprised if a large fraction of the customers on this route are not daily commuters, but rather intercity travellers who might take the bus back the other direction.

I find it fascinating that the Barrie GO train service actually existed twenty years ago (EDIT: Damn, it was actually thirty!). And there was even talk of extending the line to Orillia. Guelph had GO train service back then too, and Kitchener was asking for it. It boggles the mind what the GO network would look like today if funding was never cut back. We might have some kind of GO service to Sudbury by now.

Last edited:
Update on the GO train to Guelph/Kitchener. I had a nice discussion with the VIA attendant (who doubles as a GO ticket counter for now) is what kinda numbers they are getting on the GO train. They did mention they bring in about $2000 a day. My rough estimate using the current 10 ride ticket fare, it would be an average of about 185 people.

They also mentioned that, with the Government tight on money, that the future expansion of this GO service is being carefully looked at based on the ridership numbers. Basdically a 'wait and see' approach until money becomes available.

Update on ridership numbers for KW/Guelph: http://swo.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/...region-ridership-120206/20120206/?hub=SWOHome

I think that's just betwen Kitchener and Guelph stations: it's expected to rise.

That line itself has a daily ridership of over 15,000.

No...I think that is the number of people using it daily from those stations to Toronto....this is the quote "On average, 150 people take the new weekday round-trip train service into Toronto"

No...I think that is the number of people using it daily from those stations to Toronto....this is the quote "On average, 150 people take the new weekday round-trip train service into Toronto"
From Waterloo Region. Therefore it doesn't include people who board in Guelph heading to Toronto.

Therefore, that's just the traffic between Kitchener and Guelph.

From Waterloo Region. Therefore it doesn't include people who board in Guelph heading to Toronto.

Therefore, that's just the traffic between Kitchener and Guelph.

Honestly, I can see how it could be read both ways now.....so not sure.

Back