News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 378     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Hmm, might be right. Though CTV Kitchener is very Kitchener-centric ... hard to say.

You can count the number of people boarding at a station, and you can count the number of people getting off, but it's very difficult to figure out if those are the same people. That's why I believe they are talking about the count of people boarding in Kitchener, fullstop.

Hmm, might be right. Though CTV Kitchener is very Kitchener-centric ... hard to say.

In the video of the report they say "Between Toronto and Kitchener". The writeup of the report is a bit sloppy.

So to be clear, 150 daily riders by train from Kitchener.

From Waterloo Region. Therefore it doesn't include people who board in Guelph heading to Toronto.

Therefore, that's just the traffic between Kitchener and Guelph.

I can't make sense of what you're saying. It is 150 boardings per day on the new service. I would guess it is boardings at all the new stations west of Georgetown. Perhaps you are saying you think it is only boardings at Kitchener? I doubt it. The Metrolinx flack in the article sounds so embarrassed about the number, I am sure he would have reported a higher number if he could.

Certainly there is no indication that it is the number of people travelling from Kitchener to Guelph. The very opposite - the article says Toronto.

I can't make sense of what you're saying. It is 150 boardings per day on the new service. I would guess it is boardings at all the new stations west of Georgetown. Perhaps you are saying you think it is only boardings at Kitchener? I doubt it. The Metrolinx flack in the article sounds so embarrassed about the number, I am sure he would have reported a higher number if he could.
The CTV written report is talking about Waterloo Region. Clearly that doesn't include Guelph, as it's not in Waterloo Region - it's in Wellington County.

The video itself explicity refers to boarding at Kitchener station. Not suprising given it's a CTV Kitchener (CKCO) report.

Certainly there is no indication that it is the number of people travelling from Kitchener to Guelph. The very opposite - the article says Toronto.
Right ... the people who get on at Kitchener to Guelph, and presumably almost without exception are still on the train as they get to Georgetown.

How is this complicated? It's a report about boardings at Kitchener station.

Whether or not CTV got the figures from Metrolinx is another question.

The CTV written report is talking about Waterloo Region. Clearly that doesn't include Guelph, as it's not in Waterloo Region - it's in Wellington County.

The video itself explicity refers to boarding at Kitchener station. Not suprising given it's a CTV Kitchener (CKCO) report.

Right ... the people who get on at Kitchener to Guelph, and presumably almost without exception are still on the train as they get to Georgetown.

How is this complicated? It's a report about boardings at Kitchener station.

Whether or not CTV got the figures from Metrolinx is another question.

It's complicated because you keep distorting the facts buddy. The video does not refer to boardings at Kitchener station, explicitly or implicitly or in Pig Latin either. And since the story says "Metrolinx has released ridership numbers for the new commuter train service in Waterloo Region launched in December. " I conclude that whether they got the figures from Metrolinx is really NOT another question.

Whether it's 150 from Kitchener and Guelph, or 150 from Kitchener and (as we guessed before) 185 from Guelph, this is a very disappointing beginning.

(Technically, it isn't - the City of Guelph is a separate municipality.)

Whether it's 150 from Kitchener and Guelph, or 150 from Kitchener and (as we guessed before) 185 from Guelph, this is a very disappointing beginning.

Is it disappointing? 150 is 75 per round-trip train since there's only two trains a day. How many board at stations with non-"disappointing" performance?

(Technically, it isn't - the City of Guelph is a separate municipality.)
Well, it used to be in Wellington. It's certainly not part of Region of Waterloo. Hmm, Wellington County's office is still in Guelph ... but it does appear Guelph is no longer part of Wellington County - how bizarre. It's like having the Region of York HQ in downtown Toronto. I guess it was cheaper than moving.

Frankly, 150 sounds pretty good. I used to commute (briefly) from Waterloo to downtown Toronto (GO bus to Milton, GO train to Union). On the 5:25am bus from UW, I was usually the only person getting on. By the time the bus got to Milton, on average, I'd say there were maybe 5-7 people getting off.

The County system in Ontario has cities separate from the county for most intents and purposes. Guelph is in Wellington County (hence it counted in the Wellington Census Division and the is the seat of the Wellington judicial district), but not part of it's administrative responsibility. There are no county roads in Guelph itself, for example.

Other non-county cities include Peterborough, Owen Sound, Sarnia, London, Windsor, Belleville, St. Thomas, Stratford, etc. All of these cities are the county seat, and have the courthouse. Most also have the headquarters of the counties they are within, but not administered by, such as Guelph and London. Barrie is one exception where the county offices moved out of the city.

Last edited:
Frankly, 150 sounds pretty good. I used to commute (briefly) from Waterloo to downtown Toronto (GO bus to Milton, GO train to Union). On the 5:25am bus from UW, I was usually the only person getting on. By the time the bus got to Milton, on average, I'd say there were maybe 5-7 people getting off.

I guess what some might be asking, though, is if 75 people per round trip is "good" for the market is it necessary to run 10 (or one day 12) car trains out there to serve those people or have some sort of enhanced bus service?

Both have merit(s) but no one should shy away from the question. In the specific case of this line, getting those 150 people train service brought a pretty significant service enhancement to the rest of the line (in the form of an additional rush hour morning train) so the performance of the overall/total service improvement should not be judged (IMO) by a simple morning headcount at the Kitchener station. Others, though, might argue that the additional train could have been parked somewhere else and that the enhancements should be judged on their individual merits and not on the sum of the parts.

The County system in Ontario has cities separate from the county for most intents and purposes. Guelph is in Wellington County (hence it counted in the Wellington Census Division and the is the seat of the Wellington judicial district), but not part of it's administrative responsibility. There are no county roads in Guelph itself, for example.

Other non-county cities include Peterborough, Owen Sound, Sarnia, London, Windsor, Belleville, St. Thomas, Stratford, etc. All of these cities are the county seat, and have the courthouse. Most also have the headquarters of the counties they are within, but not administered by, such as Guelph and London. Barrie is one exception where the county offices moved out of the city.
We change it so frequently, I can't keep track. Kingston is another example; it's not in Frontenac County any more. It certainly was when I lived there in the 1970s.

I guess what some might be asking, though, is if 75 people per round trip is "good" for the market is it necessary to run 10 (or one day 12) car trains out there to serve those people or have some sort of enhanced bus service?

Personally, I think 75 people per round trip is pretty good for the end of a 2 hour commuter line. As tracks are improved and added, signalling is improved, and service is increased in frequency and speed, the nature of the line will change. Once Kitchener is a legitimate terminal of a regional rail line, the number of people getting on and off will be much higher than at intermediate stops. Starting with some train service probably helps to build the demand faster than does any enhanced bus service -- though the barrier to the latter is more likely that GO doesn't want to deal with Greyhound's concession.

Back