News   Jun 11, 2024
 474     1 
News   Jun 11, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jun 11, 2024
 632     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The mayor and council loudly objected to rumours that Metrolinx wanted to take over the TTC back when it was first created.

Very interesting points, ShonTron. It's a good example of how different authorities can be seamless, even on this side of the Atlantic. I should probably throw in that I disagree with any service having a premium fare for a comparable distance. People shouldn't be punished for taking the most efficient route. Obviously if it's a commuter service that's a different matter, but if you're going to have real regional rail it has to be integrated with the rest of the transit system. Imagine if you had to pay an extra fare to ride the subway.

Last edited:
I was going to bring up Translink as well, having spent two weeks in Vancouver last month.

I'm not going to lie: I was envious of the pan-regional transit system....and of the text message bus stop next bus times!

I was just in Washington and their SmarTrip fare card was good for travel on about two dozen suburban transit agencies in addition to DC Metro bus and rail. It doesn't matter who own the system or what colour the buses are - it's how it feels like to the customer. Fare integration is one of the best ways to do that, and it doesn't have to mean flat fare from here to Newmarket or zone fare from Parliament to Jarvis.

We definitely have far too many transit systems in the GTA: HSR, OT, BT, BT, MT, TTC, YRT, DRT, GO. I have no objections to Metrolinx taking them over, as much as I don't like Metrolinx.

You forgot the other MT, Milton Transit :p

Hahaha. I didn't realize they had a transit system. I apologize to Milton and its transit system and its esteemed residents. I'd also like to take this opportunity to officially thank the Town of Milton and the Regional Municipality of Halton for allowing the City of Mississauga and the Regional Municipality of Peel to annex a sliver of Milton. (Although if Milton thinks a few acres of land will quench Mississauga's appetite, they'll be in for a big surprise ;))

Anyway, back on topic. If Metrolinx takes over, we can plaster their pretty M on all the buses in Toronto. Although I'd rather have a T for Toronto.

The mayor and council loudly objected to rumours that Metrolinx wanted to take over the TTC back when it was first created.
So we're talking about rumours from two years ago, then. This doesn't mean it won't happen but until we see provincial legislation to enable a forced takeover *or* a move from the City to upload the TTC, it can be safely ignored.

Frankly, the bigger problem we have is the lack of provincial support for local operations.

Last edited:
Anyway, back on topic. If Metrolinx takes over, we can plaster their pretty M on all the buses in Toronto. Although I'd rather have a T for Toronto.
Yep, pretty much all I want. I think if you have the "TTC, YRT, MT" all with a Metrolinx M on the side, it'd make things really easy. And it'd just be a super-easy decal anyways, nothing at the level of changing colour schemes or logos.

I do hope that Mississauga doesn't eat up too much of Milton. Focus on your downtown, for god's sake! :p

I understand they:

1) are upgrading to 45mph switches (30mph with current signalling)
2) improving the location of the switches in some cases to reduce congestion points
3) improving storage area to store 12 car trains and possibly more trains than before

It is bound to improve things a little bit.

Excellent and long overdue. I do wish they'd spend a little more time and money on increasing frequency rather than lengthening platforms. When are the signalling upgrades going to come?

I understand they:

1) are upgrading to 45mph switches (30mph with current signalling)
2) improving the location of the switches in some cases to reduce congestion points
3) improving storage area to store 12 car trains and possibly more trains than before

It is bound to improve things a little bit.

Yes the 45mph switches have been installed in the east end of the corridor between miles 1.4 & 1.7 of the Eastern USRC limits (mile 0.0 being the center of Union staion) replacing the old 15mph turnouts at Cherry st. (at mile 1.0 east limits), which have since been removed.

The current signaling only allows for 30mph at these new turnouts, but also the entire Eastern corridor is speed restricted to 30mph anyways (starting from mile 1.7, were the line crosses over the Don river). Both those aspects will have to be modified before any speed increase occurs. The intent is to upgrade it to 60mph between 1.7 and 0.6 once the signal system is upgraded, though there may be a problem with the degree of curvature at mile 1.2. Though even if they have to reconstruct the track there I’m sure they will to accommodated the increase.

Currently it takes almost 3 minutes to cross this area, the speed increase will cut that almost in half. It may not seem like much but it'll make a huge difference in terms of reducing congestion and accommodating more trains in this section of track.

However the final approach to Union (eastern limits mile 0.6 to 0.0), the area where they have been working on over the past couple of weekends, will always only be 15mph as there is simply not enough space to accommodate longer/higher speed turnouts . The tracks are being reconfigured and decade old switches are being replaced to accommodate the new electronic signal/switching system.

The current system is manually operated from 3 different control towers. An operator has to pull a small lever/handle to cause a switch to move, in a room that has dozens of these little handles sticking out of a large machine. The operators are pretty quick with using this machine to line trains through the area. But as the number of trains increases, coordinating train movements in this way will become less and less efficient. The new system will no doubt be completely computerized and be operated from one location to coordinate all movements.

Also we have recently been further speed restricted to 10mph inside the train depot itself. Apparently there was some structure integrity concerns as heavy vibrations were noted in some tunnels underneath the shed while trains were passing above at 15mph. This is why the arrival time for the hourly was moved back by 1 minute - from 37 to 38 going west and 07 to 08 going east, past the hour. Hopefully the necessary repairs are made and this speed restriction is lifted. It only adds 45 seconds but again it makes a big difference capacity wise.

Very interesting information, as always. Thanks so much for enlightening us! Those 1.5 minutes of time saved work out to 13 hours a year for a regular commuter, so it's not bad at all.

Last time I caught a GO train, I noticed that some of the ballast in the station was in very bad shape. At one point, the track dipped several inches each time a wheel passed over. That can't be good...

CN doesn't have a line from Thunder Bay over the top of Lake Superior any more. They have to send it back to Winnipeg and then either through the US or over top of Lake Nipigon.

Back