News   Aug 09, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 812     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.6K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

nah bro, I'm, going to continue holding out hope.

I'll add that the Leaside spur slash rec trail has an at-grade crossing on Lawrence just east of Leslie, which I imagine would cost a lot to convert into a separated crossing in the unlikely event this spur is reactivated

I can only imagine the type of person that does something like that has no care about the others around them, and simply walks the earth seeking out cheap pleasures at everyone else's expense.
What really irritates me about this is often I hear people complain about anti-social behaviour on public transit. It's one of those reasons why some people opt to drive their car instead. Stuff like this only re-enforces those beliefs. Not that the person who did this would even care. They'll do it again.

Arguing that complaining about it reinforces behaviour is like shooting the messenger - the issue here is a complete lack of enforcement of proper etiquette with no punishment that bites. You know certain lines (LSE) /times (late evening/events) are trouble - send a squad in and wring the violators through.

AoD

Arguing that complaining about it reinforces behaviour is like shooting the messenger - the issue here is a complete lack of enforcement of proper etiquette with no punishment that bites. You know certain lines (LSE) /times (late evening/events) are trouble - send a squad in and wring the violators through.

AoD
The current Director of Customer Protective Services has neutered the department so much, the officers are pretty much there to say Stop or I'll say Stop again. Yes we don't need a Gestapo wandering the train arresting every litterer or minor offender, however the pendulum has swung to far to the "hug a thug" side that I think it needs a rebalencing.

The current Director of Customer Protective Services has neutered the department so much, the officers are pretty much there to say Stop or I'll say Stop again. Yes we don't need a Gestapo wandering the train arresting every litterer or minor offender, however the pendulum has swung to far to the "hug a thug" side that I think it needs a rebalencing.

But I guess we can always text Sept-Sept-Sept-Sept-Sept!

AoD

Are GO bylaw (?) infractions, like "littering or minor offences" even arrestable? Honest question. No doubt an offence notice can be issued but, since any violation is most likely 'found committing', you would need a lot of enforcement personnel.

Are GO bylaw (?) infractions, like "littering or minor offences" even arrestable? Honest question.

In most/all cases, I would think the answer would be 'No'.............. however....

GO's page on its officers says this:

1723052722322.png

IF they have the authority to enforce drug laws, the criminal code and the mental health act............ they would almost certainly have 'arrest powers' depending on what it is they choose to charge you with.

They are designated as 'special constables'.

And Mx does indeed assert their powers of arrest:

1723052928093.png

In most/all cases, I would think the answer would be 'No'.............. however....

GO's page on its officers says this:

View attachment 586446

IF they have the authority to enforce drug laws, the criminal code and the mental health act............ they would almost certainly have 'arrest powers' depending on what it is they choose to charge you with.

They are designated as 'special constables'.

And Mx does indeed assert their powers of arrest:

View attachment 586447

Yup, I knew they are Special Constables (a friend used to be the Director). Without digging into the rules, I agree that the bylaws are largely or perhaps completely non-arrestable. Even within the other provincial statutes cited, such as Trespass to Property, LLA, etc., arrest provisions are limited and 'found committing'. In the posted example, sitting approximate to litter doesn't imply that you put it there without evidence to the contrary.

Still waiting for that Milton line to officially be upgraded. Lots of promises. Literally nothing happening. It’s always wait till the next election.

Which election? The municipal one? Nope. The provincial one? Nope? The federal one? Tricked you. Don’t worry the next one.

Last edited:
Still waiting for that Milton line to officially be upgraded. Lots of promises. Literally nothing happening. It’s always wait till the next election.

Which election? The municipal one? Nope. The provincial one? Nope? The federal one? Tricked you. Don’t worry the next one.
AFAIK the Milton line is owned by CPKC, they are unwilling to let GO have more service, as they lease a single track in one direction of travel, and only at certain time slots. The provincial government must negotiate with CP for a bypass track to be built in order to increase service.

AFAIK the Milton line is owned by CPKC, they are unwilling to let GO have more service, as they lease a single track in one direction of travel, and only at certain time slots. The provincial government must negotiate with CP for a bypass track to be built in order to increase service.
OP is referring to the Provincial government's promise made in February? (earlier this year) about the Milton Line's upgrades that will allow for 2WAD GO service at 15? minute frequencies? This promise included over $6 billion, with half of the funding needing to come from the federal government. We haven't heard much more ever since, and I'd imagine it would be a better part of a decade before we get any noticeable improvements, the project itself would be massive.

We know already that this entails a separate rail line ROW to built for MX. I am not sure if this ROW would be a single track or a double track, does anyone have any insight on this? If MX is going to run the Milton Line at higher 15 minute frequencies, there will surely need to be 2 tracks.

We already know how reluctant CPKC is to share the Galt sub with MX, and if they had their way, there would be no passenger traffic. The only way they'll agree with more service is if separate trackage is built, as seen with the Bowmanville extension.

We already know how reluctant CPKC is to share the Galt sub with MX, and if they had their way, there would be no passenger traffic. The only way they'll agree with more service is if separate trackage is built, as seen with the Bowmanville extension.

I really think it's time that we dispense with the hyperbole that CP is working towards a passenger train free world. The Milton line has been in place for over 40 years, as has CP related commuter transit in Montreal, Vancouver, Chicag, and the Twin Cities.... not to mention growing Amtrak presence in various places. I am sure that CP expects all of those services to continue for decades to come.

What is more important is that 2WAD GO toMilton demands an expansion of some sort costing billion dollars.....CP is not a charity and is absolutely within its rights to insist that the full cost of expansion passes to Ontario.

Are they the ones dragging their feet? I doubt it. Are they willing to accept a bad deal? I am sure they are not. Doug Ford can make promises, but he can't print money. When the expensive projects that are under construction have been paid for, Ontario will be able to reach a deal with CP. Right now, the money isn't available.

- Paul

That announcement seemed to have slipped through the cracks, Lakeview GO station will be located between Port Credit and Long Branch GO, here’s a map I made showing it:View attachment 586594

Can you actually track down an announcement?

I did quick search and can't find any reference to it; in fact the only reference I found to Lakeview station was your 'fun facts' on Reddit showing it in the original service plan for GO back in the 60s.

Back