News   May 09, 2024
 648     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 492     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 837     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

What makes you think that this is their final word on the subject?

Just because they don't move as fast as you'd like them to doesn't mean that they are not moving.

Dan
What's with the ascerbic response? It is unreasonable to expect people to be aware of GO's internal policy discussions, as you are insinuating.

What's with the ascerbic response? It is unreasonable to expect people to be aware of GO's internal policy discussions, as you are insinuating.
Did you even look at his original response?

To assume that an internal communication will be their final word on the subject - especially when it is something potentially as serious as fires in an enclosed, crowded passenger vehicle - is hasty and unnecessary.

Dan

Well, I believe it would be a hysterical, emotional reaction to ban e-bikes from the train at all, I don't agree with it. I was just trying to offer up some sort of compromise that does less damage than stranding e-bike users does.
Sorry, but E bikes should be ban on all public transit period.

If a fire broke out on a coach, it will be mayhem for riders to exit that car to other cars on each side of it, What will the coach look like by the time it gets to the nearest station or a place where the fire department can get close to it?

It will have an major impact on service for the line that will snowball into a larger mess for the line but not only loosing a train, but delay service from both directions if it is on an all day line.

While riding the Lakeshore West GO train over the holidays, I heard what sounded like a new chime before customer service announcements. Can anyone confirm, or was something in my egg nog?

Sorry, but E bikes should be ban on all public transit period.
Oh, alright, discussion over, then!

If a fire broke out on a coach, it will be mayhem for riders to exit that car to other cars on each side of it, What will the coach look like by the time it gets to the nearest station or a place where the fire department can get close to it?

It will have an major impact on service for the line that will snowball into a larger mess for the line but not only loosing a train, but delay service from both directions if it is on an all day line.
Banning is a feel good, knee jerk reaction, but it doesn't really make the problem go away. There are loads of reasons why someone who uses an e-bike might be compelled to carry it on transit - perhaps they biked into town in the morning but were hit by a torrential rainstorm in the afternoon; perhaps their bike ran out of charge; perhaps they sustained an injury, or their bike got damaged or vandalized; perhaps they had to run an errand after work that involved picking up an oversize package - do we want to exclude them from using the service because we don't want to do the hard thing and solve a problem?

Not surprised there is no change to the rules about ebikes on trains.

If they denied people the ability to bring e-bikes on trains they would lose a large chunk of commuters from Brampton.

It's not uncommon for gig workers to live in Brampton but commute to Toronto.

That's too bad. E bikes don't belong on transit. They take up way too much space, these train cars aren't built for vehicles they are built for people. On the Kitchener line, i have had to move to other cars because the doors are jammed packed with e bikes. There is no space for them to move out of the way so i can get off at my station. What if there was an emergency? Those doors shouldn't be blocked.

If GO transit had designated train cars equipped with sprinkler systems, just in case one of them blows up, i'm fine with that. I don't think motorized bikes should be mixed with us commuters.

Few months ago i witnessed a good 'ole fashion hockey fight break out on the Union GO platform. This e biker idiot cut the line at the elevator, hitting another guys bike, and a fist fight broke out lol. GO staff ran over trying to break up the fight as best they could.

I have also seen these guys cross the live tracks with their bikes, so they don't have to wait for an elevator. Which is incredibly stupid and dangerous. They got screamed at by GO staff on the PA system.

That's too bad. E bikes don't belong on transit. They take up way too much space, these train cars aren't built for vehicles they are built for people. On the Kitchener line, i have had to move to other cars because the doors are jammed packed with e bikes. There is no space for them to move out of the way so i can get off at my station. What if there was an emergency? Those doors shouldn't be blocked.

If GO transit had designated train cars equipped with sprinkler systems, just in case one of them blows up, i'm fine with that. I don't think motorized bikes should be mixed with us commuters.

Few months ago i witnessed a good 'ole fashion hockey fight break out on the Union GO platform. This e biker idiot cut the line at the elevator, hitting another guys bike, and a fist fight broke out lol. GO staff ran over trying to break up the fight as best they could.

I have also seen these guys cross the live tracks with their bikes, so they don't have to wait for an elevator. Which is incredibly stupid and dangerous. They got screamed at by GO staff on the PA system.
If we banned vehicles based on whether inconsiderate people tend to purchase them, we'd have banned BMWs long ago... But we didn't because that wouldn't have accomplished anything. Assholes will be assholes regardless of what vehicles are available to them.

Your issues with bikes getting in the way of other passengers would be solved by providing bike coaches, which is indeed what they do on the Kitchener line and the Lakeshore West Niagara Branch.

However, that does not fully address the core issue with an increasing number of bikes and e-bikes aboard transit vehicles, which is the amount of space they occupy. Even if there's a dedicated bike coach, a person with a bike takes up three times as much space as a person without one, so a train full of people with bikes will only have a third as many paying customers as a train full of just people. That's a huge revenue loss for the transit operator, so some measures need to be implemented to encourage people to seek alternative options rather than bringing their bike on board. At the moment since you can bring a bike on for free there is no incentive for people to consider alternatives, even if those alternatives would be only a minimal inconvenience to them.

Last edited:

Are you actually arguing to ban e-bikes because you saw some people with them behaving badly? I don't think we will see a less impressive argument for or against e-bikes for the duration of the thread.

You are aware people don't need e-bikes to be dickheads, right? In fact, most asshole things done in human history have NOT been done by people with e-bikes. Any other groups of people you'd like to ban from transit because some of them sometimes behave badly? Teenagers? Old people? People with bags? Be serious.

While riding the Lakeshore West GO train over the holidays, I heard what sounded like a new chime before customer service announcements. Can anyone confirm, or was something in my egg nog?
Its a 2 chime sound as I heard it on the Milton Line as well. Sound like something you hear on airplanes

Yep they just added that recently for CSA’s to use on the Long Branch restriction announcements, the only issue with it is they have to manually set it off and then run back to their phone and start talking into it, there’s no way for it to chime automatically:
IMG_0652.jpeg

Its a 2 chime sound as I heard it on the Milton Line as well. Sound like something you hear on airplanes
This isn’t what they’re talking about.

Back