News   May 30, 2024
 937     1 
News   May 30, 2024
 539     0 
News   May 30, 2024
 1K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Cn's website (CN.CA) is down.
That doesn't bode well for the scale of this issue.

Some have mentioned it could be a ransomware attack, some quote Occam's razor (simplest reason is the most likely) and point at a failed software upgrade etc. To this I say then why would they have attempted it leading into the evening rush hour?
Yeah it could also be offline from a crash because 50,000 people suddenly tried to access it, up from the normal 50 people per day.

20231003_160247.jpg

It appears the Milton Line was the first to get a platform. Although I did see an UP Express train leave it but not sure if it was revenue service. Barrie was next. 15:53 rescheduled to 16:25 on platform 4 (not pictured because it popped up as I was typing)

20231003_161828.jpg

Attachments

• 20231003_161828.jpg
    20231003_161828.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 31
In a way it's kind of good that the failure happened right before the PM peak, because the single-tracked lines (Stouffville and Barrie) don't have counter-peak service. So they can send out a bunch of trains at arbitrary times without being limited by the location of passing tracks to meet oncoming trains.

The schedules at this point are irrelevant (it sounds like they're just running to headways) but on paper this is the largest delay on a moving train that I've seen to date:
Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 16.43.10.png

This is incredibly vague to the point of being misleading. The tweet should have mentioned that it was only in reference to the PM Peak service today. Here's the actual message from the GO website. 30 minute is the target peak direction headway and counter-peak (where applicable) should be 30-60 minutes
Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 16.58.35.png

The service alert directs you to a link to see current departure information, but when I click it I get a message that there are no departures, which is clearly false because I can see trains departing on GO Tracker.
Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 16.53.48.png

2 train per hour would be brutal for the Lakeshore lines given that they normally run 4 to 6 trains per hour during the PM peak. I would assume that for those lines it's a case of underpromise and overdeliver, since they need to run a lot of trains outbound anyway to get to their layover yards at the ends of the lines in order to start the morning service tomorrow. I hope they wouldn't just send out two local trains per hour and call it a day.

The Milton line is generally running on schedule because it is dispatched entirely by CP and TTR, not CN. The 16:55 departure from Union seems to have disappeared off GO Tracker, but via word of mouth I've heard it is actually running as per schedule.
Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 17.04.10.png

Last edited:
How is it that the entire GO and UP systems go down because of a CN issue when, according to Wikipedia, GO owns 80% of its tracks?

Back