News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 407     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I didn't deny the existence of people who drive, I denied the existence of someone who's so fickle and awful at judging situations that they would turn to driving, itself a possible source of immense disruptions, after an immense disruption on GO.
I actually started driving to a previous job after three TTC service suspensions in a week during rush hour. It's not only because of that but it was the last straw for me, passengers playing music out loud on every single trip, junkies smoking crack on the platform, and having to stand the whole way were the contributing factors but having to wait in the cold for several shuttle busses to pass got me to stop riding for work.

I actually started driving to a previous job after three TTC service suspensions in a week during rush hour. It's not only because of that but it was the last straw for me, passengers playing music out loud on every single trip, junkies smoking crack on the platform, and having to stand the whole way were the contributing factors but having to wait in the cold for several shuttle busses to pass got me to stop riding for work.
I have never seen someone smoking crack in my life yet alone on a subway platform. You have some eventful commuting stories to tell.

I have never seen someone smoking crack in my life yet alone on a subway platform. You have some eventful commuting stories to tell.
You probably haven't seen people running around on the tracks which I've posted here. Old article but "At least half a dozen of the written complaints reviewed by CP24 for the week of March 24 pertained to people consuming drugs on TTC property, including one report for a male seen smoking what appeared to be crack cocaine on the subway."

I’ve seen (and smelt it) on the 505 streetcar, and I’ve seen someone shooting up at Queen Station. I’m not blaming the TTC per se – the pandemic and housing crisis have certainly made these issues much more noticeable in Toronto and elsewhere – but it’s enough to turn some people off.

Me reading this thread after being away for a couple of days:
community-donald-glover.gif

"...Abecassis said. GO and Via Rail trains need to connect to CN’s servers to navigate safely in and out of Union Station."

This part is pure and utter BS. In CTC and the USRC interlocking which operates under the same pretense, trains are able to move from one block through to another strictly by their physical presence within a block. Whenever there is a train in a block, a length of track between signals, it triggers the track circuit and causes a block occupancy. This in turn downgrades the signals entering into that block to a "stop" which is how a physical separation is safetly maintained between each train. "Train connectivity to servers" has absolutely nothing to do with that part of the system.

"...Abecassis said. GO and Via Rail trains need to connect to CN’s servers to navigate safely in and out of Union Station."

This part is pure and utter BS. In CTC and the USRC interlocking which operates under the same pretense, trains are able to move from one block through to another strictly by their physical presence within a block. Whenever there is a train in a block, a length of track between signals, it triggers the track circuit and causes a block occupancy. This in turn downgrades the signals entering into that block to a "stop" which is how a physical separation is safetly maintained between each train. "Train connectivity to servers" has absolutely nothing to do with that part of the system.
And even then, why would the USRC depend on CN equipment at all? It is and has always been dispatched by the Toronto Terminals Railway, not CN.

And even then, why would the USRC depend on CN equipment at all? It is and has always been dispatched by the Toronto Terminals Railway, not CN.
Very true, I suppose they were probably referring to the transition from the USRC to the other subs the coordination for which would have to go through servers to connect the broader network from the locally dispatched USRC. In the least it's worded poorly, has nothing to do with some wireless link to the trains(other than perhaps being used identify what specific train is occupying the block)and implied that trains weren't even able to get out of the station itself.

Back