News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 859     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Weekend service will just be hourly all day at all times and just to Mt Pleasant and back, while weekday service has more trains running back and forth. More specifically during peak times and going to further points on top. The Bramalea only trips are for 2 reasons, one because they can pull off non stop express trains from Bramalea to Union for the trains that are coming from Georgetown/Kitchener, and have another train do stops in between. The other reason is we simply have way more capacity currently in general from Union-Bramalea to run more trains as it is obv the priority corridor for the RER type of service on the line.
Thank you for this. We really need Silver Junction to be done.

Do you have a source for these? not that I don't belive you, I just want to see for myself.

I went looking for past studies on grade separations - my dusty memory recalls staff reportson the topic, but can’t seem to find them. A municipal report observed that (as of a few years back) there were 180 level crossings on the GO system. Pretty obvious why Go can’r afford to separate every last one.
The grade separations that are happening do get written up, particularly in reports to municipal councils. The minutes of city councils is a good place to track these down.

- Paul

I went looking for past studies on grade separations - my dusty memory recalls staff reportson the topic, but can’t seem to find them. A municipal report observed that (as of a few years back) there were 180 level crossings on the GO system. Pretty obvious why Go can’r afford to separate every last one.
The grade separations that are happening do get written up, particularly in reports to municipal councils. The minutes of city councils is a good place to track these down.

- Paul

Paul, I believe I may have found your 'master list' of grade separations.........well, its name and the date on which Mx's Board was given it..........but the minutes don't go that far back.

1680873399127.png

Perhaps someone else will find be able to track it down.

Paul, I believe I may have found your 'master list' of grade separations.........well, its name and the date on which Mx's Board was given it..........but the minutes don't go that far back.

View attachment 467055

Perhaps someone else will find be able to track it down.

Thank you. I suspect this is what I was remembering.

ML has purged its web site recently, and numerous documents that were previously available have disappeared. The old minutes and agendas of Board meetings are one such deletion.

Some of us spend a lot of time downloading and saving ML documentation, largely because it will eventually disappear and the history will be rewritten. One really can't express much trust with this organization.

- Paul

Just a random note, but its so relieving to see weekend trains to Mount Pleasant now. The 31 buses were a mess, and they really couldn't handle the capacity of riders that were heading DT or back into Brampton mainly. It was such a struggle, even on just the buses that serve Malton and Bramalea you could witness overflowing loads of passengers. Thankfully that ends after today, and wishing it won't be this way again.

The trains will not only allow people to at least get a seat if they are running 10+ cars, but also approximate their destination better as not everyone has the intent of heading to or near Union. If there was a line that desperately needed weekend train service, its for sure this line. We know it'll get ridership out of the gate, which is why I'm hoping that we can get trips to at least Guelph in the near future if they can't do Kitchener just yet. Kind of like the Allandale runs on the Barrie line which would be just fine for now and better than nothing.

I have not seen the section by section plans (which might change anyway); I know many favour an MCC diversion of GO; I'm not specifically aware of what @drum118 had to say on this recently. But, to my knowledge, that was not what was being looked at, at this time.
I'm pretty sure a MCC diversion would require large amounts of expropriation and other unheard of capital expenses. Personally I don't think it makes too much sense

I'm pretty sure a MCC diversion would require large amounts of expropriation and other unheard of capital expenses. Personally I don't think it makes too much sense
I can’t recall if there was ever *official* word giving passing credence to the idea, but it’s been discussed plenty before. It’s the kind of thing that should be in a/the RTP as a long term target, given that 15-min Milton service is. Although, GO spurs/diversions in general haven’t been given much official thought yet, and this would be the costliest of any I can think of.

Just a random note, but its so relieving to see weekend trains to Mount Pleasant now. The 31 buses were a mess, and they really couldn't handle the capacity of riders that were heading DT or back into Brampton mainly. It was such a struggle, even on just the buses that serve Malton and Bramalea you could witness overflowing loads of passengers. Thankfully that ends after today, and wishing it won't be this way again.
As expected, the train was near full, to the point where it took me until the front of the train to finally get a quad that is free. The number of bikes in each car were massive as well, its really fun to see, but not too much if you factor the strollers as well. Got on at Malton and there were a lot of passengers, even more than the usual bus that comes every hour. Its a possibility that some people just wanted to try the train, but then again maybe not as it was impressively smooth getting into Toronto.

Got on the 12:08 train at Malton, and got off at 12:32 at Union. Idk if its just me but the trip feels faster when you skip Etobicoke North, but of course it would feel that way because of a stop being removed. Speeds were consistent, people felt calm, and most important of all, people weren’t crammed into one space for 30-60 mins hoping they can get there faster. And just as expected, people were getting off just as much at Weston and Bloor. Hopefully their trips got more efficient for them.

I believe it was just a 6 car train which explains why the train felt more full so if they can expand the number of cars in the future that would be recommended as i do see this getting more popular if its already this receptive. Overall good start to the weekend train and wishing service can expand further from here.

Taking the weekend 30 and transferring to a Kitchener line train at Bramalea, the service changes (at least for now) feel like a system that "works". No milk run 25, no Square One (after 10 years of transferring through it, not being physically present at Square One is a major life goal for me), just a straight shot nearly single-seat ride to Toronto at a much cheaper price than Via Rail and only about 15 minutes' longer trip door-to-door than Via would be. The bus was fairly full but not a clown car in the way weekend 25s have been for a full year. It no longer feels like a breaking-point situation. Definitely an improvement.

Back