News   May 28, 2024
 772     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 441     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 796     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

In light of the discussion of Milton, I do think there’s room to argue that a second phase of GO expansion could be announced shortly after electrification is complete. To keep all those construction workers moving, Milton would be the centrepiece project, along with extending from Bramalea-Mount Pleasant, Unionville-Mount Joy, and Burlington-West Harbour/Confederation/ Ham Centre. All of these are to see 15-min service by 2041, so they’d have to get there somehow.

They've gone from nothing to a full six day system so they are. Halton Hills could learn a thing or two. I think this is just about pushing MX on paying CP. That's it. As long as MX is being cheap, that's the end of that.

I mean we saw this with the subway. The Bloor Danforth should have gone to Square One long Before Vaughan and Markham but here we are. This is a Mississauga leadership issue.
Line 2 should never go to Sq One. Every dollar that could go toward that folly should go toward Milton Line improvements and/or a Dundas BRT (which is coming).

Reactions: T3G
Line 2 should never go to Sq One. Every dollar that could go toward that folly should go toward Milton Line improvements and/or a Dundas BRT (which is coming).
Kipling is not a great terminal at all IMO. The same money could have been used on an extension and taken more drivers off the road. But I do agree with you, just that people are dragging their feet on the Milton Line.

Kipling is not a great terminal at all IMO. The same money could have been used on an extension and taken more drivers off the road. But I do agree with you, just that people are dragging their feet on the Milton Line.
An extension to 427 could be justified, but only if we start tolling highways so that GO buses can use them in a more free-flowing state.

You call that over-building? Scarborough's subway extension is long overdue, and a much needed Sheppard East extension is being planned. A much better alternative to that transit city garbage.
It is really hard to describe Sheppard East as 'much needed'.

You call that over-building? Scarborough's subway extension is long overdue, and a much needed Sheppard East extension is being planned. A much better alternative to that transit city garbage.
I'm sure the people who were supposed to get higher order transit under Transit City, but won't, because all of the funds are being misappropriated on megalomaniacal subway expansion, would disagree that Transit City was garbage.

Ok..........I deleted a comment I was going to make, but now I'm going to try again with a variation.

Can we please, not revisit every transit project that has or has not happened in any thread; let alone TTC projects in a GO transit thread.

I get it, we all have tangential exchanges...... (myself included)

But this is running way off topic, because people read one person's take as a swipe or less than meritorious and off we go down a very bad road.

Can we please bring this back to GO Transit Service?

Last edited:
You know what's REALLY overdue? More grade separation on the GO lines. Every time I pass by East Gwillimbury GO, I can't help but wonder what would prevent a Green Lane East overpass from being built. The road practically dives down to meet the tracks and then climbs back up again. Is it just because of the Nokiidaa Trail being there?

The Lakeshore lines also need to get on some of the easier ones like Morningside Avenue, or one of the bajillion in Halton.

I'm sure the people who were supposed to get higher order transit under Transit City, but won't, because all of the funds are being misappropriated on megalomaniacal subway expansion, would disagree that Transit City was garbage.
Right because subway extensions don't classify as higher-order transit? But wow Go LRT's, lets spend 4 billion dollars for one slower than the 905 with bus lanes. Downtowners fail to realize Scarborough wants these subway extensions, a lot more than we ever wanted transit city. a clean, transfer-less connection to the rest of the system, on the Mccowan corridor, right at the center of Scarborough north to sheppard, with potential for even more expansion north. As for line 4, a clean connection straight to north york center, fairview, agincourt Go, and the rest of Line 1 with potential for eastward expansion to MTC

Downtowners fail to realize Scarborough wants these subway extensions, a lot more than we ever wanted transit city.
If Scarberians want these subway extensions so much, they should pay for them entirely out of their own pockets. Why should the rest of the province bankroll these vanity projects when LRTs would have delivered adequate quality transit for a fraction of the cost?

There's a lot of transit starved communities in Ontario. Every pointless subway built means a BRT or LRT or new track that doesn't get built somewhere else. I hardly think that's fair, do you? That other communities shouldn't get anything because Scarborough wants to pretend it's dense enough to have a sprawling subway network?

If Scarberians want these subway extensions so much, they should pay for them entirely out of their own pockets. Why should the rest of the province bankroll these vanity projects when LRTs would have delivered adequate quality transit for a fraction of the cost?

There's a lot of transit starved communities in Ontario. Every pointless subway built means a BRT or LRT or new track that doesn't get built somewhere else. I hardly think that's fair, do you? That other communities shouldn't get anything because Scarborough wants to pretend it's dense enough to have a sprawling subway network?
Because that is how politics works. Ford proposes/promises our three-stop subway extension and line 4 extension and that is what we want. What business do we have to care about what BRT or LRT Kingston, Ontario, or wherever should get? The problem you have is with the politicians themselves who are proposing these for Scarborough, which we will gladly take, but why should we have a problem with that?

I have no problem paying my share. I’m not saying we deserve something and we shouldn’t have to pay for it. Neither am I saying we must over build like Scarborough’s subway over lrts. I’m saying I’m willing to pay for what it appropriate for our city.

Scarborough residents had a RT line for decades, but has terribly aged and now wanted an actual subway. There's actual demand for it. And its not like its a completely new line, its just a literal extension of Line 2.

Don't forget that there's also LSE and Stouffville lines and not to mention some of the Eglinton crosstown. All of this will carry Scarbs from currently just having a crappy aged RT, only 3 stop subway coverage in southwest Scarborough, a GO line that doesn't even run counter peak yet now let alone on weekends anymore, and an actual all day GO line but is overcrowded and too far off for most Scarb residents. To soon be a transit covered borough with all these projects mentioned being upgraded and/or new lines and extensions with subway like frequency to all. The GO and TTC projects will complement each other on this. So we're actually getting multiple things done in Scarborough and not just the one thing that you think will be over built and useless as a Subway because this extension is the centerpiece as to what is coming all around in the borough.

Back