News   May 15, 2024
 766     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 823     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Okay... but there's a maximum amount that each crew can work in a day. 3 hours of work at 4AM is 3 hours that they can't do later in the day. Currently the morning and afternoon London trains are run by two different crews because it would be too long of a shift otherwise.
Even if that's true, and if we assume that that crew is willing to work anywhere in the system, 1 extra crew is probably not enough to add substantial service to any existing line. Where exactly would we put them to make a needed service improvement?

Even if that's true, and if we assume that that crew is willing to work anywhere in the system, 1 extra crew is probably not enough to add substantial service to any existing line. Where exactly would we put them to make a needed service improvement?
I don't know the details of where that crew could potentially be deployed, but any other services they could provide would be more useful than providing one daily round trip between London and Kitchener.

The Niagara weekday train may also be a candidate for temporary cuts (starting at West Harbour instead of Niagara Falls) depending on how much useful staff time that would unlock. St Catharines station is closed anyway (that was roughly 50% of the weekday ridership from Niagara in my 2019 count), and GO route 12 is just as fast from Niagara Falls to Union due to the weekday train's reverse move into West Harbour.

It looks like this was an error. The schedules have been updated with the missing trips and there is no reduction in service. I suspected it was an error since the buses holding for nonexistent trains didn't make any sense.
Thank heavens that the Stouffille and Barrie weekend cuts didn't happen. Those timetables would have been brutal. Odd that they made such timetables in the first place - it wasn't just an accident. As I noted earlier, the trips they deleted on the Barrie timetable were specifically the trips which had a time-consuming deadhead movement between Aurora and King City. Perhaps it was a backup in case of more extreme operator shortages.

Last edited:
Thank heavens that the Stouffille and Barrie weekend cuts didn't happen. Those timetables would have been brutal. Odd that they made such timetables in the first place - it wasn't just an accident. As I noted earlier, the trips they deleted on the Barrie timetable were specifically the trips which had a time-consuming deadhead movement between Aurora and King City. Perhaps it was a backup in case of more extreme operator shortages.

You know................my recollection is that Phil's contract expires next year............

I have someone in mind who should apply for his job....... Ahem, Reaper!

You know................my recollection is that Phil's contract expires next year............

I have someone in mind who should apply for his job....... Ahem, Reaper!
Yeah nah. That's a political job. I'd rather keep playing with my blinking lights and coloured pencils, thanks.

Yeah nah. That's a political job. I'd rather keep playing with my blinking lights and coloured pencils, thanks.

The Steve Munro excuse, LOL (said with affection).

Always good to have someone knowledgeable be an outsider; and/or a do-er; but there is value in shaking up the system by having it be accountable to someone who actually knows what they are talking about;
won't be taken in by bafflegab, and isn't prone to speaking same.

Personally, I think it would be a good fit for you for awhile; I also think it would set an interesting precedent if the CEO actually directly worked on some projects, with some teams, because they were capable of doing so......

🙂

But it is once again Ontario's loss......as you turn down another job here........ LOL

The Steve Munro excuse, LOL (said with affection).

Always good to have someone knowledgeable be an outsider; and/or a do-er; but there is value in shaking up the system by having it be accountable to someone who actually knows what they are talking about;
won't be taken in by bafflegab, and isn't prone to speaking same.

Personally, I think it would be a good fit for you for awhile; I also think it would set an interesting precedent if the CEO actually directly worked on some projects, with some teams, because they were capable of doing so......

🙂

But it is once again Ontario's loss......as you turn down another job here........ LOL
The CEO doesn't spend their time solving technical challenges. They spend their time dealing with intra-organisational issues, financial issues and dealing with other organisations, etc.

If I had a management position I would actually get a lot less accomplished. There is no need for me to be the one making decisions, I merely need to convince those who do. Then someone with functioning inter-personal skills can deal with organising implementation.

Do we have any updates for the park lawn go station? 2025? 2030?

Its tied to phase 1, of Mr. Christie site. It will be delivered at the same time. Which should be between the two dates above, I think, though a bit closer to the former, than the latter.

The crew is based in Kitchener so you need to also add an hour each way to drive to London in the morning, and back to Kitchener in the evening. It adds over 6h/day compared to just starting in Kitchener.
I'm 90% sure the evening crew is based in Toronto... I'll have to ask the engineer later if that is still the case

Back