News   May 16, 2024
 580     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 801     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 594     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Quick question that someone in the know might have some insight on. I was crossing the Don on 505 on Sunday afternoon around 2.15 or so, and noted a GO consist stopped on the Richmond Hill line. I couldn't tell if it was parked or merely holding for a signal because I didn't have the time to judge the difference. It seems odd that a GO consist would need to be parked there on a Sunday... is the more logical answer that it was deadheading from Willowbrook to Gormley Layover?

Quick question that someone in the know might have some insight on. I was crossing the Don on 505 on Sunday afternoon around 2.15 or so, and noted a GO consist stopped on the Richmond Hill line. I couldn't tell if it was parked or merely holding for a signal because I didn't have the time to judge the difference. It seems odd that a GO consist would need to be parked there on a Sunday... is the more logical answer that it was deadheading from Willowbrook to Gormley Layover?

They were doing testing with the level crossings at Pottery and Beechwood on Sunday. Apparently some equipment had been replaced recently and there was some concern about it activating reliably.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

A car hopped off the DVP and into the Don south of Queen Sun morn. Perhaps TPS had the train on standby in case they needed to get personnel or a tow line over the tracks from the west side of the river.

zerZoIr.jpg

A car hopped off the DVP and into the Don south of Queen Sun morn. Perhaps TPS had the train on standby in case they needed to get personnel or a tow line over the tracks from the west side of the river.

zerZoIr.jpg

How did that car get there? :eek:

I atttended the Town Hall meeting with Minister Del Duca this evening in Etobicoke.

Main topics raised were the proposed Park Lawn GO Station (very strong support); Eglinton Crosstown extension through Etobicoke (much resident concern about doing it badly and screwing up Eglinton); UPX high fares and low ridership.

No startling new announcements - they did state that Long Branch GO station is not being relocated (contrary to rumour).

- Paul

Who started that rumour? First I heard of it, unless you're referring to the rumour of relocating Mimico, which is completely baseless.

Indeed, I've never heard of anyone talking about moving Long Branch Station at head office. What had been talked about was shifting the platforms closer to Browns Line, in order to allow for wider platforms and to get them off of the curve, but even those rumours seem to have quieted down.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I atttended the Town Hall meeting with Minister Del Duca this evening in Etobicoke.

Main topics raised were the proposed Park Lawn GO Station (very strong support); Eglinton Crosstown extension through Etobicoke (much resident concern about doing it badly and screwing up Eglinton); UPX high fares and low ridership.

No startling new announcements - they did state that Long Branch GO station is not being relocated (contrary to rumour).

- Paul
Anything you can add to the strong support for Park Lawn GO? Did this come from Metrolinx or the politicians? I know there is strong political support, given the Liberals owning that part of Etobicoke, but what is Metrolinx saying? They have historically taken a very adversarial stance to a station there.

One of their main route planning guys (forgot his name, had a very German last name) basically told a crowd 2 years ago, that Mimico is too close, it's either one or the other, and that it's not his problem development occurred 'at the wrong spot'.

Anything you can add to the strong support for Park Lawn GO? Did this come from Metrolinx or the politicians? I know there is strong political support, given the Liberals owning that part of Etobicoke, but what is Metrolinx saying? They have historically taken a very adversarial stance to a station there.

One of their main route planning guys (forgot his name, had a very German last name) basically told a crowd 2 years ago, that Mimico is too close, it's either one or the other, and that it's not his problem development occurred 'at the wrong spot'.

GO has moved stations before.

Unionville Station used to be in the historic village. It was moved because GO (and many of its customers) wanted a giant parking lot (in the long run, it makes a lot of sense; Highway 407 buses can serve the new Unionville Station easily; Markham is urbanizing the area, including a new university campus). Trains that stopped at Lorne Park were moved to Clarkson soon after GO's launch in 1967. Weston and Miliken Stations were moved across the street (Lawrence and Steeles Avenues, respectively). And of course, GO moved its Downtown Hamilton station in 1996.

But there's room for both Mimico and Park Lawn, even with GO's current model of 10 and 12-car diesel trains. Other stations in close proximity include Centennial-Markham-Mount Joy, and Maple and Rutherford.

Back