News   Jul 29, 2024
 641     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 321     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 620     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I was wondering when we'd start getting hints of what was to come in the fall service change. A regular Bramalea bus from Kitchener would be great. It would basically be an expansion of the existing 25F.

Good news! I just hope it isn't years before the Stouffville all-day service is extended north of Unionville, realizing that the track work is underway but won't be finished overnight.

I wonder if the Brampton and Stouffville trains will be the same one so that it will be similar to Lakeshore West and East. Would a train arrive from Brampton at Union and then continue to Stouffville?

I wonder how late into the evening the hourly trains will run and if there will be weekend service.

I'm guessing no. With Stouffville being a single-track causing one train to wait for the other to pass at Scarborough Station, scheduling may be difficult.

Last edited:
I was wondering when we'd start getting hints of what was to come in the fall service change. A regular Bramalea bus from Kitchener would be great. It would basically be an expansion of the existing 25F.

The connection to the Bramalea-Guelph bus, which already exists, either the 39 or 48, would be more useful as well.

+1

In addition to this, IMO the best way to increase GO Service to Cambridge would be for this hypothetical bus to stop at SmartCentres, just like the the 25 currently does, and meet the train at Bramalea. This would be a far more effective way to get downtown than the 25 --> Square One --> 31. Actually has a chance in happening, as opposed to the train service to Cambridge, though it would require GO mixing a "Milton line" stop with a Kitchener line route - we'll see if they are pragmatic about it.

Last edited:
Like others have said, this is very exciting news (assuming it gets confirmed)....also, as others have asked, wonder if this is going to be including hourly weekend service or if off peak is just M - F.

Given the proximity to the 407, Bramalea is an excellent station to have links to express bus routes from a variety of places west of Brampton.

Wonder if a bus link from Malton to Pearson will be included. On the one hand, it might alleviate some of the noise around UP fares to Pearson being too high (giving another option priced between TTC and UP to get to the airport) but on the other hand it might slow progression of UP to its projected ridership (awkward way of saying it may take too many riders off of UP too early in its life).

Wonder if a bus link from Malton to Pearson will be included. On the one hand, it might alleviate some of the noise around UP fares to Pearson being too high (giving another option priced between TTC and UP to get to the airport) but on the other hand it might slow progression of UP to its projected ridership (awkward way of saying it may take too many riders off of UP too early in its life).

TTC 58 already runs this route, but does not enter Malton station.

TTC 58 already runs this route, but does not enter Malton station.
I know, and it does not do the job that I am describing.

All along the various GO lines there are bus connections that extend train trips to various nearby places.....including connections at Malton for various places.

It would make sense (and has been discussed here at length) that one of those bus connections would be be terminals 1 and 3. Not only would this provide an alternative to UP from people approaching Pearson from the east........it would provide a fairly efficient link to Pearson from all points west on the KW line. Just re-deploy a few of the buses displaced by this new train service to meet each train that comes into Malton and run them non-stop to Pearson terminals.

This is definitely good news! It will be interesting to see how much Lakeshore West and East ridership drops once this is implemented, especially if it also includes hourly weekend service. I know quite a few people from Brampton or northern Mississauga who drive down to Clarkson or Port Credit on weekends and hop on the GO train there to head downtown instead of taking the GO bus from a spot closer to their house. Conversely, it will be interesting to see how much ridership jumps compared to the current levels from buses. A solid jump would certainly help bolster the case for hourly service elsewhere.

This is definitely good news! It will be interesting to see how much Lakeshore West and East ridership drops once this is implemented, especially if it also includes hourly weekend service. I know quite a few people from Brampton or northern Mississauga who drive down to Clarkson or Port Credit on weekends and hop on the GO train there to head downtown instead of taking the GO bus from a spot closer to their house. Conversely, it will be interesting to see how much ridership jumps compared to the current levels from buses. A solid jump would certainly help bolster the case for hourly service elsewhere.

We do this for every TFC match....but I never understand why people from Brampton go to PC or Clarkson....Long Branch is far easier to get to. Have discussed this in the past....if you look at the cars and check the names of the dealerships you do see a lot that were bought from locations that indicate the people live closer to the Milton or KW lines.

That said, a local guy in Brampton who is active and "connected" politically is tweeting that it does not include any weekend service.

I wonder how late into the evening the hourly trains will run and if there will be weekend service.

This slide from a Metrolinx presentation earlier this year indicated that during the 2015-2016 period, 18 new weekday trips would be added to the Kitchener line, bringing the total to 33 (16 per direction).

In 2016-2017, Weekend service would be added with 28 trains per day (14 per direction), and an additional 6 trips would be added on weekdays.

In that document, Stouffville line service wouldn't be expanded until 2017-2018.

While introducing off-peak Kitchener service in September is completely consistent with this document, 16 trains per direction is not enough for all-day hourly service. For comparison, the Lakeshore lines currently have around 44 trains per direction with half-hourly off-peak service. So either:
a) there will be more than 16 trains per direction - I seem to recall a Weston community notice recently that promised that very few trains would be added until after electrification, but I can't find it. (It had icons of F59s with poorly shopped pantographs, if anyone else can find it). Depending on the GO train-per-day maximum advertised in that pamphlet, this scenario may or may not be plausible.
b) the frequency will be less than 1 train per hour, like the pre-GTS service (I really hope not)
c) this will be just midday service, and the extra 6 trips mentioned above from the 2016-2017 period are the evening service.

I find also this supposed hourly Stouffville line service slightly odd. According to the current schedule, it takes 18 minutes from Kennedy to Unionville, so presumably around 23 minutes from Scarborough to Unionville. To reduce the risk that a late southbound train delay a northbound train, the meet would likely be scheduled a bit west of the start of single track, let's say by 2 minutes. Which leaves only 10 minutes for the terminal time in Unionville. That may be doable, but is unusually low for GO. It certainly wouldn't include much recovery time, if any. Based on this factor, the service would require a very long layover at Union to prevent cascading delays, which reduces the practicality of interlining with Kitchener services.

Last edited:
Well that's good news! With hourly service to Mt Pleasant, I wonder whether GO will introduce all-day Kitchener train-bus service to Bramalea. Would be very useful for me.

Metrolinx detailed 2015-2016 deliverables from the June board meeting include "Complete Kitchener corridor GO bus service rationalization plan and implementation Q3 2015-16". I'm not sure when their fiscal year is, but I assume that means we should expect some changes along those lines in early 2016.

Metrolinx detailed 2015-2016 deliverables from the June board meeting include "Complete Kitchener corridor GO bus service rationalization plan and implementation Q3 2015-16". I'm not sure when their fiscal year is, but I assume that means we should expect some changes along those lines in early 2016.

Another gem from that report:
  • Merge Routes 40 & 47J providing continuous express GO bus route between Richmond Hill and Hamilton via Pearson Airport and Square One Q3 2015-16

This is great news for accessing Pearson from the West, much needed. I'd like to see what the scheduled time from Square One to Pearson via Transitway would be and how it compares to MiWay 107.

I'm hearing that we will see considerable change in the bus routes concurrent with the trains going into service.

This isn't limited to GO - Labour Day is when the various transit properties all change service patterns, as ridership demand changes when the summer holiday season ends and schools reopen.

There are overlaps/gaps between GO routes and municipal transit routes in Halton/Peel, and we are likely to see changes to address this.

- Paul

Back