News   Jul 16, 2024
 6     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 241     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 998     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

It will be interesting to see if GO will start using Erin Mills Mississauga Tranistway Station in Jan/Feb 2016 to match the opening of the next phase then as well use it.

Erin Mill Station is 99% complete and in the process of being wiring up and installing the nextbus system. No Washrooms.

If GO does use the station early 2016, it will have to use the Erin Mill interchange since Winston Churchill will not be ready until Spring 2016. Still got to built the road off Winston Churchill to the road as well the new off ramp to 403. Starting to fill the gap between the 2 bridges with most of the east road in place.

If you park your bike there, don't use the east shelter when it rain or snow as there this no drain there and it is at a bottom of a slop. Poor thinking and construction for it.

I wonder how much the padding has increased since the GO guarantee that refunds passengers.

Not a lot, really. The 1967 inaugural timing was for GO trains to depart Oakville at X:30 and arrive at Pickering at X+1:49. Today the departure is at :26, and arrival is the same, but Exhibition is now a regular stop which it wasn't back then.

It would be interesting to compare the acceleration and deceleration of an original GP40TC and a set of "tin cans" with an MP40 and a set of bilevels. Sure feels like a slower ride these days.

- Paul

Yes. 1.75 km at track speed (50 mph / 8o km/h) takes 1min 20sec. So if the trains are scheduled to meet in the centre of the siding, one of them being more than 40 seconds late would cause a delay to the other.

So, build that time into the schedule. They do it on the Barrie Line on weekends, and elsewhere around the planet. There's no need to precisely schedule a rolling meet there, because realistically it will never be done. Nevermind the timing of the trains themselves - the RTC needs to line switches in and out of the double track. If you are expecting a flying meet through there than it isn't an exaggeration to say that a sneeze would be enough to cause a delay.

Not a lot, really. The 1967 inaugural timing was for GO trains to depart Oakville at X:30 and arrive at Pickering at X+1:49. Today the departure is at :26, and arrival is the same, but Exhibition is now a regular stop which it wasn't back then.

It would be interesting to compare the acceleration and deceleration of an original GP40TC and a set of "tin cans" with an MP40 and a set of bilevels. Sure feels like a slower ride these days.

- Paul

To the contrary Paul, there has been a ton of padding added just in the past 15 years. In 2000, an off-peak train to/from Oakville was scheduled to take 37 minutes eastbound and 36 minutes westbound. That same train today is scheduled to take 45 minutes eastbound and 41 minutes westbound. Lakeshore East trains have had a similar amount of padding added to their schedules, although not quite as extreme.

And when looking at the rush hour trains the amount of padding added is just as pronounced, with some expresses taking 5 and 6 minutes longer than they did 15 years ago.

For the record, the off-peak schedules remained fairly constant, with the same arrivals and departures from the ends and Union, from 1967 until about 2010.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Last edited:
GO Transit has dropped the ball lately. Major delay on lakeshore west now followed by major delays on all lakeshore and kitchener trains.
How can they drop the ball when they have no control over the signaling system not under there control. Same for switches, track work and train movements.

When Metrolinx has full control of these items, then you can say the ball has been drop.

Still? They own those tracks.
Owning them and having control over them are 2 different things under CN control.

Until Metrolinx has full control over everything, they are subject to CN & CP Control.

After the new GO Control Centre gets built in 2016, maybe on-time reliability can improve a bit, despite some things still being out of control (e.g. CN signalling systems on Metrolinx corridor).

From what I'm hearing elsewhere, there's going to be some major changes to GO Transit's bus routes, especially routes servicing Brampton. GO will start using the west Mississauga Transitway as well.

Route 35 - the Brampton via Highway 27/Humber College route - will be eliminated. I wondered what took so long! Brampton Route 11/511 (and 50) serve Humber College; the only passengers affected are those who use the route in between - mostly to access the industrial areas of north Etobicoke and southeast Brampton. Route 36 - the Bramalea to York Mills express, will see more service.

Route 33 and 34 - the Guelph/Brampton/Highway 410 semi-express bus and the Brampton Local via Pearson are also to be revamped. Brampton operates the 115 to the airport, of course.

From what I'm hearing elsewhere, there's going to be some major changes to GO Transit's bus routes, especially routes servicing Brampton. GO will start using the west Mississauga Transitway as well.

Route 35 - the Brampton via Highway 27/Humber College route - will be eliminated. I wondered what took so long! Brampton Route 11/511 (and 50) serve Humber College; the only passengers affected are those who use the route in between - mostly to access the industrial areas of north Etobicoke and southeast Brampton. Route 36 - the Bramalea to York Mills express, will see more service.

Route 33 and 34 - the Guelph/Brampton/Highway 410 semi-express bus and the Brampton Local via Pearson are also to be revamped. Brampton operates the 115 to the airport, of course.
Given the fact that Erin Mills Station is ready to go, they could start using it as well Dixie starting in Sept, but more likely Jan/Feb when the next phase with access to Etobicoke Station and a short run to Renforth.

Given the fact that Erin Mills Station is ready to go, they could start using it as well Dixie starting in Sept, but more likely Jan/Feb when the next phase with access to Etobicoke Station and a short run to Renforth.

Erin Mills is ready?! Holy that was fast, from the last time I'd seen it. But I doubt it will be used until that entire stretch is opened next year.

So I had to do some calcs. With two-way all-day on the Kitchener line, I was pondering what would be the best way of providing Train-Bus service between Guelph and Toronto. So I looked at 2 options: from Bramalea or Mt Pleasant. I also compared it to running out of Square One and rush-hour train trips, as per current. This was only for Guelph, as numbers for Kitchener would be comparable.

2SFPSys.png

It's pretty stark how extending trains to Guelph save you half an hour still. But looks like Bramalea is comparable to Square One service, if they keep it like the 39 and don't stop at Milton P&R, mind you. I'd think they would run the 39 as the train-bus service, but keep the 29 to Square One, albeit probably less frequently.

Metrolinx has been going at it again with more interesting train-horn tooting of upcoming RER improvements.

Earlier fun train horn tootings of GO RER here, for observers of GO/Metrolinx.

New PowerPoint slides I haven't seen before.

https://twitter.com/Metrolinx/status/631906711641698304
Metrolinx‏@Metrolinx: With RER service, some journey times will be reduced by as much as 50% http://bit.ly/1FktWwK

https://twitter.com/Metrolinx/status/629732773385908225
Metrolinx ‏@Metrolinx: GO RER will mean more frequent service for all stops between Kitchener-Waterloo/Toronto: http://bit.ly/1FktWwK
---

Pictograms:

RER-FasterJourney.jpg

Commentary: A fairly big claim, I'd say. I presume peak-period electrified express trains, could reduce the famous GO padding. A recent West Harbour PanAm express GO train in a hurry, zoomed past Burlington in a mere 30 minutes, instead of the usual 1 hour, so the 50% journey reduction claim is certainly doable.​

RER-kitchener.jpg

Commentary: Nice improvement. But no morning service towards Kitchener-Waterloo? Boo. I understand there are rail capacity limitations, and the timetable quirk forced by the CN sub through Brampton. But there should be enough counter-commuter demand within 10 years to have one or two trains with Kitchener-Waterloo as the workday destination.​

Attachments

• RER-FasterJourney.jpg
    RER-FasterJourney.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 534
  • RER-kitchener.jpg
    RER-kitchener.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:

Back