News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.3K     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 2.7K     4 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 724     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

[...]
May 2019 — At a May 2 townhall meeting Metrolinx senior staff stated that they had explored four potential extension options as part of an update to the original 2015 business case and that these options would be reviewed with the Region and local communities. It was the first the Region of Durham, Municipality of Clarington, City of Oshawa and the Town of Whitby were made aware that new route options were being considered.

As of May 13, Clarington council and municipal staff were still not informed by Metrolinx on the details of the four routes being considered to bring the GO train east. Council members passed a motion stating the Municipality of Clarington continues to support the 2011 approved route along the CP Rail line as it would result in the greatest long-term community and economic development benefits; the creation of jobs and increased assessment growth; connectivity, walkability and opportunities for transit oriented development; and development on and around the Courtice and Bowmanville station sites.
[...]
https://www.durhamregion.com/news-s...ngton/?source=newsdurham#.XOMeKNxQ0zg.twitter

And the Engage page still doesn't have any answers up. Gosh...I'm just so shocked, shocked I tell you..
https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/content/ask-metrolinx-may-2-2019

Let's look on the upside though, as Yurek, Ford et al would tell you: (in so many words) : "The Bowmanville Extension is moving ahead as fast as the Davenport Diamond is...For The People My Friends!"

Regional and municipal governments in Durham confirm their preference for the original alignment

- Paul
“This route, north of Highway 401, became a key component of future land use and transportation network plans in Durham Region,” said Henry. “It will help to deliver economic revitalization of our downtown areas; address the needs of our growing community; open new catchment areas for GO ridership; stimulate job creation and mixed-use development around the stations; and drive an increase in land value in the rail corridor.”
Well doubtless Ford won't be offering to pay for "Audits" to find "Efficiencies" in the budgets of these municipalities since they're the victims of the Ford regime's bungling.

Too bad Metrolinx aren't live-streaming these meetings.

And still not a sign of answers at: https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/content/ask-metrolinx-may-2-2019

Meantime:
Ford comes to Durham to promote fiscal responsibility
Protesters on hand to show displeasure with government's actions
[...]
https://www.durhamregion.com/news-s...s-to-durham-to-promote-fiscal-responsibility/

Last edited:
In googling old docs, it’s clear that Oshawa in particular has made a number of planning decisions in anticipation of the original alignment - and there may have been investors/developers who have done the same. To say nothing of political capital invested at the city level. I am wondering if ML is tone deaf to all this, or they are so far behind the 8-ball moneywise that it is a case of the (cheaper) new route or nothing. Or Ford is so bloody minded about not spending money that he will even piss off developers?
The premise of a more central GO hub in Oshawa would be a hard thing for local pols to walk away from.
The 2018 consultation alludes to a change in CP’s position such that the 2011 track alignment is no longer viable - hints at placing GO tracks further south on the CP ROW which could mean added expense to acquire land or add grading and/or civil works that weren’t in the original cost estimate. So the original option could be even more pricey than previously assumed, which sets the cat among the pigeons unless ML is willing to walk away from other projects on other lines.
This could be shaping up to be a very interesting debate politically - I wonder how bad the PCs want seats in Durham.
- Paul

Last edited:
^ All excellent points, and there may be some basis to a counter argument from Metrolinx/QP, but what is unforgivable is this:
The 2018 consultation alludes to a change in CP’s position such that the 2011 track alignment is no longer viable
Then why was no 'heads-up' given to the municipalities on this, and no opportunity for discussion and input for alternatives?

I'd posted a letter to Yurek from Lindsey Park (MPP Durham) earlier in this string that predates the information she released to the press later, expressing in the press her outrage at being 'left in the dark' on the developments, except the letter details that knowledge at least a week prior to her comments in the press.

I erased it when I realized I couldn't exactly prove the timeline, as the news-source didn't state when she'd made her statement to them. The inference was the same day as publication, but I can't prove that.

The point is clear, this is a *massive* bungle, but one of the up-sides is the local municipalities standing together and standing hard. As to how this breaks and exactly where in the course of events remains to be seen, but break it will, and it could well be a turning point for this government. 'Inept' is too short a word to describe it.

And when does Verster quit in disgust? His word is worth less than a South African Rand at this point in time.

Addendum: An alternative scenario: This may or may not be a 'purposeful' bungle. It might be a convenient cover for slashing any costs to the bone. This project isn't going to happen not because of any change in design/planning details, but because it will 'save money', no matter the cost...pun fully intended. They'll just send their 'boy' Verster out to take the heat, and act as pitch person to the story of...well...there is no story, just have Phil make it up as well as he can. He's a paid useful idiot as far as they're concerned.

Last edited:
The irony of the situation is that while the CN alignment might allow for all-day service over the CP one, there is no point in doing so, because the CN alignment is so far away from density, that it will have to be a "commuter parking lot" style setup. Which negates the advantages of all day service.

The 2018 consultation alludes to a change in CP’s position such that the 2011 track alignment is no longer viable - hints at placing GO tracks further south on the CP ROW which could mean added expense to acquire land or add grading and/or civil works that weren’t in the original cost estimate.
- Paul

Is there any sense or can one tell from Google Maps how much further south CP wants/would have wanted the GO tracks to be located? Is there another room to create a distance similar to what the CN/VIA-GO tracks distance is between the flyover at Pickering and Oshawa Station (I realize the separation distance varies).

Is there any sense or can one tell from Google Maps how much further south CP wants/would have wanted the GO tracks to be located? Is there another room to create a distance similar to what the CN/VIA-GO tracks distance is between the flyover at Pickering and Oshawa Station (I realize the separation distance varies).

CP's corridor through Oshawa is wide enough for several tracks, but certainly not wide enough to install a second set of tracks with any sort of meaningful separation between the two adjacent lines.

Dan

This morning I had a chance to see off peak ridership at Unionville station for the 9:49 train. There were 50 or so people on the platform. Quite impressive. There is definitely solid demand for off peak GO service. Now, if only we could get midrise office and residential density within walking distance of all GO stations, that would be greaaat. Genuine TOD can't come soon enough.

Back