News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.6K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 635     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Low hanging fruit is good. But there is so much risk that Ford will add the one Niagara train, declare victory loudly, and never spend another cent on getting Go to Grimsby and beyond. Don’t count on this recent addition as creating much momentum towards that.
It's like buying the curtains and paint for the house that isn't built yet. The claim is that it makes the construction site livable...

Minister Yurek to Make Transit Announcement in Kitchener

Monday at 2 PM. Anyone wanna guess what it's gonna be? More trips? Actual midday two-way service? Metrolinx seems to be on a roll with CN right now.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be weekend service! I live in Guelph and travel often to Toronto after work hours. Having a weekend service means I can head down for a party and consume booze without having to spend the night. Even just weekend service to Mount Pleasant or Bramalea with a bus connection would be nice. The current service is a milk run and I hate it.

Last edited:
Minister Yurek to Make Transit Announcement in Kitchener

Monday at 2 PM. Anyone wanna guess what it's gonna be? More trips? Actual midday two-way service? Metrolinx seems to be on a roll with CN right now.

As much as I want it to be 1-2 weekend trips or a reverse peak trip, I have a strong feeling it's just going to be one of the following:
1. Praise for the work in Guelph and talking about reduced trip times or something
2. Making the 7:10 or 6:47 train an express, likewise, making the 5:20 another express train
3. Taking more control on the future Downtown Kitchener GO transit station
4. Route 30 expansion of service to weekends

Optimistically, I think it'd be an extension of one or two of the current Georgetown trains to Kitchener, but even then, I'm not sure even that will be the case given CN's recent takeover of tracks in the area.

As much as I want it to be 1-2 weekend trips or a reverse peak trip, I have a strong feeling it's just going to be one of the following:
1. Praise for the work in Guelph and talking about reduced trip times or something
2. Making the 7:10 or 6:47 train an express, likewise, making the 5:20 another express train
3. Taking more control on the future Downtown Kitchener GO transit station
4. Route 30 expansion of service to weekends

Optimistically, I think it'd be an extension of one or two of the current Georgetown trains to Kitchener, but even then, I'm not sure even that will be the case given CN's recent takeover of tracks in the area.

CN resumed operations from GEXR on the Guelph Sub (Georgetown-London). It already sold the tracks between Georgetown and Kitchener to GO, but it has taken back the maintenance of tracks between Kitchener and London. GEXR ran that into the ground, so VIA trains crawl at several points on the west end of the route.

I suspect it will be minor. Hopefully it will mean more express and local service on the Kitchener Line, but I'm not too optimistic about that. I can't see weekend train service yet - otherwise I could see the announcement taking place at Mount Pleasant GO.

Since this thread is about GO service, I think that Hamilton should one day have stations at West Harbour, Gage Ave, Parkdale Ave, Centennial Pkwy, and Stoney Creek, in addition to Hamilton GO.
City of Hamilton also owns land at Gage Ave, from the former Lloyd glassworks.

1545030878324.png

I made this image in 2015 , but it's now much more relevant now that allday 2-way service is supposedly headed to West Harbour & Stoney Creek. The Gage GO infill station becomes worthwhile, though it might not become a stop on the Niagara morning route and be expressed past for those trains, but for the allday hourly trains, it makes sense.

Travelling between downtown Hamilton and Stoney Creek in a mere 10 minutes, by catching a GO train, can also be a companion to the B-Line LRT, with two parallel transit routes in the northern/southern parts of Lower City. The Hamilton Relief Line! This would provide some great densification potential for Hamilton over the next 25 years.

Might be needed to placate the city complaining about losing part of the Green Wave (beautifully synchronized traffic lights) when Main Street 2-way conversion probably arrives between Wellington and Delta when LRT begins construction. (Main 1-way will still remain 403 thru downtown initially, but city works is now seriously considering 2-way east of downtown thru Delta according to a submission to council I've read).

As much as I want it to be 1-2 weekend trips or a reverse peak trip, ....

It can't be a reverse-peak trip, in either direction. There simply isn't enough track in place yet to allow it.

While the cynic in me wonders if it has nothing to do with GO, and that they're going to announce the launch date of the LRT, I suspect that they are going to announce that the two remaining trains stabled at Georgetown will be extended to/from Kitchener. Which makes a lot of sense, seeing as how CN is changing the scheduling of the freights along the line in January.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It can't be a reverse-peak trip, in either direction. There simply isn't enough track in place yet to allow it.
Which is unfortunate, as they had the track for a reverse-peak AM train into KW in the 1990s.

Note that there isn't track in place to allow trains to run directly from West Harbourfront to St. Catharines either - and that's not stopping them.

Perhaps they'll route an AM peak KW train through Brantford, London, and then back through St. Marys! :) That would only take 4 hours ... :)

While the cynic in me wonders if it has nothing to do with GO, and that they're going to announce the launch date of the LRT, I suspect that they are going to announce that the two remaining trains stabled at Georgetown will be extended to/from Kitchener. Which makes a lot of sense, seeing as how CN is changing the scheduling of the freights along the line in January.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Are we referring to the ex GEXR line between Georgetown and Kitchener? In terms of a reverse peak trip, I was just referring to a train arriving at Kitchener either really early in the morning from Toronto or really late in the morning. Of course, we'll find out in a few minutes.

Ontario Introduces More GO Train Service on the Kitchener Line
New Morning and Evening GO Trains Will Increase Service to Kitchener by 25 Per Cent
December 17, 2018 2:00 P.M.
Ministry of Transportation

KITCHENER— Ontario's Government for the People continues to deliver on its promise to get people moving faster by bringing more GO train service to Kitchener.
Minister of Transportation, Jeff Yurek visited the Kitchener VIA Station today to make the announcement along with Leslie Woo, Chief Planning and Development Officer, Metrolinx.
"We are now increasing service to Kitchener GO by 25 per cent and there will be more news to come," said Minister Yurek. "This is an important step as we continue working with CN to deliver more service and offer two-way, all-day GO train service for people on the Kitchener line as soon as possible."
Starting on January 7, 2019, people travelling by GO Transit between Kitchener and Toronto's Union Station will benefit from additional GO train service every weekday morning and afternoon, with a new trip option for customers in Kitchener, Guelph and Acton.
A morning trip that currently begins at Georgetown GO Station will now begin at Kitchener GO Station at 5:40 a.m., stopping at Guelph and Acton GO stations before continuing to serve all stops to Union Station, arriving at 7:43 a.m.
The existing trip that currently leaves Union Station at 3:35 p.m. and ends at Georgetown GO Station will extend to Kitchener GO Station, stopping at Acton and Guelph GO stations before arriving in Kitchener at 5:43 p.m.
"Thanks to an enhanced relationship with our rail partner, CN, we are increasing GO train service for people travelling on the Kitchener line without waiting for a costly rail bypass," said Minister Yurek.
"The new service on the Kitchener GO line offers people more flexibility and more choices when planning their commute," said Kitchener—Conestoga MPP Mike Harris.
"Making it easier and more convenient for people commuting between Waterloo Region and Toronto is important to growing our economy and creating good jobs for people through Ontario," said Kitchener South—Hespler MPP Amy Fee.
"Each new transportation link between Waterloo Region and Toronto makes our entire community stronger," said Cambridge MPP Belinda Karahalios.
Commuters will also benefit from an additional morning trip option from Georgetown, Brampton and Mount Pleasant GO stations, and a new afternoon trip from Union Station to Bloor, Weston, Etobicoke North and Malton GO stations.
"We're very excited to push our GO Expansion program forward with new GO train service for commuters in Kitchener and Brampton this January," said Leslie Woo, Chief Planning and Development Officer, Metrolinx. "More service means more freedom and more relief from congested roadways. This is the start of more great things to come for our customers on the Kitchener line."

Back