News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Should have clarified but I won't be disembarking at every station, I simply have to ride through every station. I think that should be doable. I will likely utilize the TTC somewhat when possible as well.
then you definitely confused people with your wording....

next up planning to visit every GO/Mlinx Station on the AD2W Network in one day

passing through a station is not what most people pictured when you said you would visit every station.

Wow.

Never seen York get this crowded.

C4027331-35D9-440F-A05A-CBC41BB958DE.jpeg

F35325EB-C0C6-4480-AFF9-087FD3E1222B.jpeg

D60A422D-FA19-4943-8F48-1FE545223125.png

Silver linings:

+ Kudos to air conditioning (refreshing-to-slighly-coldish but fully comfortable) managing to keep up -- despite crowd
+ Kudos to speedtests of _Union_TD WiFi more than fast enough to watch 4K Netflix episodes -- despite crowd

It's a torture test of Union York concourse capacity now. AC and WiFi passes with flying colors. That proximity to 151 front Street (Toronto'a biggest Internet convergence point; terabit Internet connections) probably helps a lot.

That lightning-zapped signal shutdown is inconvenient, though.

Now time to do more work on upgrading, bulletproofing, and electrifying GO RER.

Attachments

• C4027331-35D9-440F-A05A-CBC41BB958DE.jpeg
    C4027331-35D9-440F-A05A-CBC41BB958DE.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 451
  • F35325EB-C0C6-4480-AFF9-087FD3E1222B.jpeg
    F35325EB-C0C6-4480-AFF9-087FD3E1222B.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 461
  • D60A422D-FA19-4943-8F48-1FE545223125.png
    D60A422D-FA19-4943-8F48-1FE545223125.png
    248.6 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
passing through a station is not what most people pictured when you said you would visit every station.
Most people?

When they do these tube challenge things, I've never heard of people getting out at each station before. I think it was pretty clear from the context.

So as some may know a while back I visited every TTC station in the span of a few hours, next up planning to visit every GO/Mlinx Station on the AD2W Network in one day i.e.

LSW -> Aldershot
LSE -> Oshawa
STO -> Unionville
BAR -> Aurora
UPX -> Pearson

If anyone is interested in participating/helping to plan send me a message.
I'm in. Let me know when.

AC and WiFi passes with flying colors. That proximity to 151 front Street (Toronto'a biggest Internet convergence point; terabit Internet connections) probably helps a lot.
I don't think the backhaul fibre and TorIX being just down the street has as much of a bearing on those speed tests as the strength of those routers. Are the routers they use really that powerful, or were most of the passengers just unaware that there's wifi in the concourse?

Today?

A lightening strike has damaged a signal.

Specifically, a lightning strike hit the plant at Mimico East at about 3.30 and took down the whole plant. On top of that while dealing with the issues there, there was an problem with one of the trains travelling through the plant and a potential rules issue. It took several hours to get everything back up and running, but in the interim a lot of trains were stranded in Willowbrook and Mimico South as they tried to sort it out.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don't think the backhaul fibre and TorIX being just down the street has as much of a bearing on those speed tests as the strength of those routers. Are the routers they use really that powerful, or were most of the passengers just unaware that there's wifi in the concourse?
Agreed. I rarely bother to connect to wifi since I have a good data plan. And I'm nowhere near TorIX but have a gigabit connection to my home.

That's pretty much a logistical impossibility even on the TTC if I have to get off at every station and wait on average 5 minutes for the next train then that would add 5 hours to a 3 hour run.
sure but the word visiting suggests something.....if I drive through a town on the 401 have I actually visited it? Anyway, good luck riding all the GO lines end to end in one day...even without stopping at each station it will be tough!

sure but the word visiting suggests something.....if I drive through a town on the 401 have I actually visited it? Anyway, good luck riding all the GO lines end to end in one day...even without stopping at each station it will be tough!
Visit all GO stations in one day?

That's a toughie.
Let me have a crack at a theoretical journey:

The Grand GO Transit Journey

Kitchener Train 5:24am
This is your starting point, so you should book a hotel or friend there and be well-rested.
Kitchener First Morning Peak: 05:24 - 07:27 .... Catch that first.

59 Minute Self-Repositioning: Quickly go from Union station to Milton GO station:
Get an expert trusted taxi driver pre-waiting for you at Union, ready to take you immediately to Milton GO expeditiously (offpeak is doable, but peak traffic will make this a big challenge to fight your way to Milton from Union station. Use historical traffic statistics to time the best days of the week / best days of the years to do this attempt. Alternatively, a helicoptor ride would be prudent if one can be arranged -- e.g. publicity stunt!)

Milton Train 8:26am
Catch the last morning Milton train towards Union
Milton Last Morning Peak: 08:26 - 09:30

Lakeshore East train
Lakeshore West train

This is what you will do to kill time between morning/evening peaks.
Catch the first "through train" (~9:45am) and bounce to Aldershot (10min layover), then Oshawa (10min layover), and then back to Union. Nearly 5 hours single seat ride! Catch some Z's because you got up early, and you will be staying up very late.

Stoufville train 3:11pm
Catch the first peak Stoufville train going north to Lincolnville. Arrives there at 4:24pm.

2 hour 11 min Self-Repositioning: Quickly go from Lincolnville GO to Union Station
Go back to Union station immediately: Have a driver pre-waiting for you at Lincolnville (or a pre-positioned car of your own), ready to take you immediately back to Union to be on time for your next train ride.

Barrie train 6:35pm
Catch the last train going from Union to Allandale Waterfront station. You'll arrive at 8:21pm.
Then immediately return to Union Station via GO bus #68 from Allandale. A painfully long ride with a transfer taking 2.5 hours to return to Union.

Richmond Hill
Tough luck for the trains, but you can catch the GO Bus #61 to tour all stations thru Gormley. That bus runs rather late (last bus 2:40am) so you didn't have to rush back to Union from Allandale Waterfront. Plan to crash for the night at a motel near Gormley GO, there's no return service.

---

So a pretty tough Grand GO Transit Journey "Around The World In 80 Stations", but barely doable, though that means skipping Hamilton GO stations and the Niagara GO train service. Any GO delays will screw this attempt up, requiring you to re-attempt this another day.

Last edited:
Not that they have anything useful to say. Gave up and took the 509 back to Union from the Ex.

AoD
The funny thing about yesterday (and I am not finding humour in the ordeal people had but, rather, in the GO communications area) was that AMA is on holidays and the job of informing the public fell to Suniya Kukaswadia. A bit awkward when your orgnaization has built up twitter as it's go to "instant" communicator and the person you hand off the job to is a "communications professional" with a protected twitter account. ;)

upload_2018-7-17_16-5-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-17_16-5-36.png
    upload_2018-7-17_16-5-36.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 710
The funny thing about yesterday (and I am not finding humour in the ordeal people had but, rather, in the GO communications area) was that AMA is on holidays and the job of informing the public fell to Suniya Kukaswadia. A bit awkward when your orgnaization has built up twitter as it's go to "instant" communicator and the person you hand off the job to is a "communications professional" with a protected twitter account. ;)

View attachment 150379

To be fair, if they have anything important and official to say, I'd look for it at the official org and route accounts - but of course, there is a paucity of info there. Yes, I know there is a signal issue - I am sitting in my train not moving for the past 30 minutes. Tell me something *useful* that will inform my next decision.

Crickets.

Make a damn call and announce it. Shut the line down indefinitely, arrange for alternate transportation. Not making riders stuck in some sort of decisions purgatory. As to the *instant* part - well, they are consistently 20 minutes behind - you are on your train experiencing whatever it is by the time you find out anything about your particular delay coming out of Union.

AoD

To be fair, if they have anything important and official to say, I'd look for it at the official org and route accounts - but of course, there is a paucity of info there.

Yes but the way they have used AMA they have created a situation where people do look to her personal Twitter account for information....so handing her duties off to a "protected account seems daft.

Yes, I know there is a signal issue - I am sitting in my train not moving for the past 30 minutes. Tell me something *useful* that will inform my next decision.

Crickets.

Make a damn call and announce it. Shut the line down indefinitely, arrange for alternate transportation. Not making riders stuck in some sort of decisions purgatory. As to the *instant* part - well, they are consistently 20 minutes behind - you are on your train experiencing whatever it is by the time you find out anything about your particular delay coming out of Union.

AoD
What shocks me is the total "off the cuff" nature of their responses....which leads (according the to disaster recovery guys we hire in our business) to failed responses.

They really should have a whole bunch of scenarios mapped out......service gets interrupted by "X" at "Y" location at "Z" time....see page 345 for appropriate response......all they could come out with was "people going to Mimico, LB, or Exhibition can use TTC services".....i think people going to those places pretty much know that TTC is an alternative....it is the people going somewhere else that need help......and they seldom (ever?) get the kind of useful information about "what do I do now" that they really need.

It also points to another reason why we need all the lines to be all the time and bi-directional.....getting people on the lakeshore line to a station on the Milton line is not ideal....but in an emergency it is better than leaving them stranded and telling them how to get to Mimico.

Back