News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Yeah it doesn't really make sense why they went for such a drastic change. Slightly shifting the shade of green from older highway-sign to something a bit crisper, ok. But completely tossing an iconic style to a linear array - black, phlegm, white, sludge? Doesn't add up. Was around the same time the Libs switched the iconic trillium logo too.

And then Metrolinx ended up changing their green-on-green logo to black/white anyways, so the GO colour change decision makes even less sense.
Admittedly, with mixed feelings about the Metrolinx new logo, I have to say the new Metrolinx logo does look good on the brand new TTC fare machines. Machines are snappy-instant too [VIDEO] -- so it's a good Metrolinx rep. I can turn a Presto card into a TTC Metropass in 15 seconds flat. Or slap some funds. Etc.

9572f881-4b2f-4092-a94d-708d6fa7f18d-jpeg.148387

TTC Yonge-Bloor station -- where they replaced all TTC metropass machines with these.

If Metrolinx is to continue rebranding, these machines has made a good impression of the logo on me from its apparent convenience and fast performance.

(Hopefully they will keep running more reliably than older machines).

I still like the old Metrolinx logo better, but if Metrolinx keeps this up, the new logo will grow on me. Good application of attaching the new logo to a machine of proper snappy performance standards.

GO Train Passengers: According to Environment Canada, we will be experiencing some extreme heat over the next few days. Because these temperatures can affect the rails, as a safety precaution, GO Transit, along with CN, CP Rail and our other railway partners may apply speed restrictions in some areas; this could result in a longer than normal commute.

For more information on how the heat can affect train service, please visit our How Weather Affects GO Service<https://www.gotransit.com/en/travelling-with-us/how-weather-affects-service/whatgives> page.

This 29% increase in service is great and makes GO more convenient but is no guarantee it will result in more riders. GO has introduced significant service improvements over the last 2 years and built new & improved stations, tons of new parking spots, more track, and grade separations and yet to no one`s surprise except the mandarins at Metrolinx and the QP politicians, it has had very little effect. In fact despite all these improvements per-capita GO ridership hasn`t budged as growth of 2% only keep up with population growth.

Does this mean Torontonians don`t want better GO service? Of course not. They are dying for more transit of all types and particularly the faster and more comfortable service that GO provides...……...there is massive latent demand. The problem is not that there are no passengers but rather no passengers who can afford exorbitant GO prices backed up by most having no full fare integration. This is the little issue that Metrolinx and QP refuse to accept although you would think they would have learnt their lesson with the UPX...……...people can't afford to take GO.

QP has offered $1.50 off GO fares with a TTC ticket. Big deal. That`s like comparing a BMW to a Chevy Cruze. You can have a 50% off sale on a Beemer but if you still can`t afford the BMW , you still have to buy the Chevy. All this improved frequency means to most Torontonians is being able to watch more trains go by that they can`t afford as they wait in the rain for their packed and slow bus or waiting for your 3rd subway train until you can finally squeeze on. Building $500k condos isn`t going to help the homeless regardless of what the developers say.

`Build it and they will come` is a phrase only construction companies believe.

^I agree that fare integration should be improved, but “lower GO fares” is not that different a pitch from “buck a beer”. Sure, one gets economies of scale from mass transit, but if you are losing a buck a customer, you can’t make it up on volume. As a commuter network bringing people to downtown Toronto, GO is a premium service that expands lifestyle options and encourages commuting distances. Apart from the truly poor and specific demographics, eg students, price needs to retain a supply/demand impact, with cost tied to value.

I see logic in leveraging GO as part of the local transit network, effectively becoming an extension of subway and LRT. That’s a fertile topic, but this isn’t the Fare Integration thread, so I will stop here.

In the 905, the biggest disincentive to GO 2WAD use is not fares, as you suggest, but poor service coverage (eg Unionville trains stop in Unionville, when they could continue to Mt Joy, reducing the time spent on bus connections) and lack of first-mile options. It’s time for paid parking, not lower fares.

- Paul

The GO trains I occasionally use for my 50 minute trip to Union are standing room only with ~40 minutes still to go to Union......it never dawned on me that no one can afford GO fares......who knew?

^ I predict the reduced fares for GO trips for short distances will not go through under this government. They'll need the revenue/need to maintain GO's operating cost ratio.

^ I predict the reduced fares for GO trips for short distances will not go through under this government. They'll need the revenue/need to maintain GO's operating cost ratio.
You may be right, but the revenue lost for reduced short distance GO fares (if any was actually lost) is a pittance compared to the revenue holes that scrapping cap and trade/reducing gas tax/subsidizing cheaper hydro will cause.

Phil Verster did a video blog yesterday, here. In it he said they are increasing service by 29% by early 2019, and 55% by 2020. Wonder what these services will be.. That is a pretty significant ramp up.

I imagine we will see the rumored 15 minute service on the Lakeshore lines, as well as the rounding out of the missing service periods for Barrie, Kitchener, and Stouffville (Stouffville getting all day weekend service).
How will they fix Kitchener without the bypass? That's the new excuse now.

They'd probably cut service off in Mt Pleasant, which would suck for people like me in KW. Can we at least get 1 weekend roundtrip train to Toronto on saturdays, sundays, and holidays?
There's more than one now with VIA Rail.

I'd assume that funding for most of the expansion of current operations are dead now, with the new government.

How will they fix Kitchener without the bypass? That's the new excuse now.

they would cut it at Bramalea. Mount Pleasant is already far into CN territory.

There's no indication yet they won't do the bypass, but I would agree that they've made the situation harder for themselves by cutting revenue. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

They'd probably cut service off in Mt Pleasant, which would suck for people like me in KW. Can we at least get 1 weekend roundtrip train to Toronto on saturdays, sundays, and holidays?

they would cut it at Bramalea. Mount Pleasant is already far into CN territory.
There's no indication yet they won't do the bypass, but I would agree that they've made the situation harder for themselves by cutting revenue. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Doug should pay the 500 or so million to get service there and then do the bypass. Cutting it off at Bramalea is lazy and would hurt ridership.

They should serious look at doing something for Milton, and Richmond Hill as well, until the DRL comes on line at least.

Back