News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 438     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I hope this isn't a Lakeshore-only perk like most everything else. :(

I believe there are two train sets, each wired by a different Wi-fi provider.

They’ve been on the Barrie line a few times. I’ve been on-board one such trip (service by Rogers). Couldn’t get the sign-on page to load at Union. 2nd try was past Maple where it did load and let me sign-on.

I believe there are two train sets, each wired by a different Wi-fi provider.

They’ve been on the Barrie line a few times. I’ve been on-board one such trip (service by Rogers). Couldn’t get the sign-on page to load at Union. 2nd try was past Maple where it did load and let me sign-on.
The problem with the Union Station shed is that it is terrible for cell and data services.

The problem with the Union Station shed is that it is terrible for cell and data services.
Except when you're 1 level downstairs in _Union-TD WiFi in the York concourse.

It is REALLY fast for public wifi -- I can download entire Netflix episodes in 5 seconds flat whenever I'm underneath the ceiling antennas in York concourse.

~100Mbps speedtest straight to my iPad.

Probably has a direct gigabit-league fiber link to Canada's center of the Internet (carrier centre at 151 Front Street)

Do your burst-downloads right before going upstairs to the platform. ;)

I took a trip out to Burlington on the revived Lakeshore West Niagara service, and I must say it's a thrill to ride. Having a regular service like that between Toronto and Hamilton would be simply revolutionary - the existing local trains fail to attract many longer-distance trips due to their pathetic average speeds. And increasing the frequency of those local trains wouldn't do much to to change that.

the existing local trains fail to attract many longer-distance trips due to their pathetic average speeds.
I don't have the timetables handy, but long ago noted that travelling between Hamilton and Toronto by the 16 QEW Express bus is way faster than taking bus to Burlington and then the local train, which as you state, crawls.

I got a rush just watching your train pass the buses on the Gardiner just east of the Humber. Yes!

I don't have the timetables handy, but long ago noted that travelling between Hamilton and Toronto by the 16 QEW Express bus is way faster than taking bus to Burlington and then the local train, which as you state, crawls.

I got a rush just watching your train pass the buses on the Gardiner just east of the Humber. Yes!

Very true. The 16 Express is way faster than the local train, hence its existence and popularity.

For example, even during the most congested period on Saturday (11:00 to 15:00):

16 Toronto-Hamilton Express
Every 20 minutes
Travel Time: 70 minutes

18 + 1 Lakeshore West Local
Every 30 minutes
Travel Time: 99 minutes (15 min bus + 15 min transfer + 69 min train)

A Lakeshore West express train with the Niagara stopping pattern (Burlington, Oakville, Port Credit, Exhibition) would do Hamilton to Toronto in under 60 minutes given that the current Niagara trains do Toronto-Burlington in 40 minutes.

A Lakeshore West express train with the Niagara stopping pattern (Burlington, Oakville, Port Credit, Exhibition) would do Hamilton to Toronto in under 60 minutes given that the current Niagara trains do Toronto-Burlington in 40 minutes.
And if you live in the west end, as I do, those express train stops at Exhibition mean I can cycle pretty much straight north to where I live at Dundas West. Going all the way to Union, as is the only choice with the 16 bus means backtracking, or taking the UP to Bloor, a bit defeatist in terms of point to point.

I took a trip out to Burlington on the revived Lakeshore West Niagara service, and I must say it's a thrill to ride. Having a regular service like that between Toronto and Hamilton would be simply revolutionary - the existing local trains fail to attract many longer-distance trips due to their pathetic average speeds. And increasing the frequency of those local trains wouldn't do much to to change that.

what was the travel time to Burlington?

I recall checking travel speeds exactly like you did when I commuted regularly on GO years ago. The stouffville trains, after Kennedy (this was before they stopped at Danforth) would regularly hit 150km/h on their way along the Lakeshore East line.

That said, GO trains rarely reach this speed. I'm hopeful that electrification will make achieving those speeds much easier since the distance required to accelerate to them is much shorter. More express trains would always be nice as well of course.

I've long written about the Niagara train stopping in Hamilton.

Still waiting. From what I know, 2019 seems to be tbe charm.

Even though the QEW Express was originally claimed to do it in 60 mins, it was a wild ride. GO Transit drivers usually err on the side of safety, but I've had more than a couple of trips where they were taking chances and driving far more aggressively than I liked. I'm glad they've given the trip a few more minutes on the schedule.

For the train, it would be a genuine 60 mins, maybe less, and no risks taken to do it.

Even though the QEW Express was originally claimed to do it in 60 mins, it was a wild ride. GO Transit drivers usually err on the side of safety, but I've had more than a couple of trips where they were taking chances and driving far more aggressively than I liked. I'm glad they've given the trip a few more minutes on the schedule.

For the train, it would be a genuine 60 mins, maybe less, and no risks taken to do it.

We need to get the train up to 88 MPH. We will get there in no time. ;)

We need to get the train up to 88 MPH. We will get there in no time. ;)

88 mph is 141 km/h. It was pretty consistently cruising faster than that.

what was the travel time to Burlington?

The travel time to Burlington was 40 minutes, exactly as scheduled. But upon arrival in Burlington the train was delayed several minutes to let the VIA pull in front for some reason.

Back