News   Jul 16, 2024
 378     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 487     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

a bit OT here but I recall GO reacquiring some of its old rolling stock for their anniversary celebrations this year. Is there any more news on that?

a bit OT here but I recall GO reacquiring some of its old rolling stock for their anniversary celebrations this year. Is there any more news on that?
upload_2017-4-25_15-10-11.png

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=GO_Transit_Single-Level_cars

CRS-1026 (Paul) mentioned a few weeks back seeing it sitting at the VIA Mimico Yard, others had referred to it as a "surprise"? It's a good question as to its status...

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-25_15-10-11.png
    upload_2017-4-25_15-10-11.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 266

View attachment 106643
https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=GO_Transit_Single-Level_cars

CRS-1026 (Paul) mentioned a few weeks back seeing it sitting at the VIA Mimico Yard, others had referred to it as a "surprise"? It's a good question as to its status...

This is its current status, I believe .

Really?! The province/Mx are so tight for funds they can't afford to refurbish a single coach to commemorate their history?!

Get your shit together. Keep the scope tight and simple, and pay up. And tell The Sun and Ford supporters that raise a fuss to f- off.

It's great that excess will go to THRA, that's super thoughtful, but yeesh...

Has GO or a local MPP ever officially said when it might happen? Seems like a pretty simple change. Is it unfunded? Are they waiting for Confederation and the new layover to open?

This Niagara GO train still pases centimeters away from Hamilton West Harbor GO station.

They still need to connect the track.

Recent article here on the seasonal GO train service to Niagara Falls.
In the whole damn season they are expecting 25 thou people? The first time I read that I thought, maybe per day.

Someone from Niagara region exhorted people to take the train to make the business case stronger. Too true.

I took th strain last summer with my bike. Cost a pretty penny for the day, but I have no other way to get a bike from Toronto to Niagara.

25,000 people for 11 weekends sounds like decent ridership to me.

That's approximately 1000 per day on average for 11 weekends, and keep in mind that 1) there are only a few trips per day, it isn't hourly, and 2) while they are semi-express, the Niagara trains still do make a few other stops, so there needs to be some room aboard for local passengers. 1000 St Catharines/Niagara Falls passengers per day for this non-commuter, limited-frequency service does indeed seem fairly reasonable.

The weekend trains also charge a higher fare than the regular GO tariff; it's cheaper to take the usual train service to Burlington and transfer to the GO bus there.

The Niagara special trains have respectable ridership despite very limited schedules.

Has GO or a local MPP ever officially said when it might happen? Seems like a pretty simple change. Is it unfunded? Are they waiting for Confederation and the new layover to open?
Funded. But delayed. And as part of Confederation GO station funding, not West Harbour GO station funding.

The Niagara special trains have respectable ridership despite very limited schedules.
They can easily bump ridership by 10% just by stopping in Hamilton. The biggest intermediate city between the destinations. Squarely in the middle of the route.

Toronto-Hamilton weekend 2-way train service AND Hamilton-Niagara weekend 2-way train service!

Percy can put more "bums in seats" quicker this way.

**Tapping feet - giddyup, Metrolinx - nudge, nudge**

Last edited:

Back