News   Jul 16, 2024
 335     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 444     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

So, it was indeed the two trains reference on the Munro chart below. Except that it's coming in Sept 2016 which is the 2016-2017 fiscal year, not 2015-2016 as protected in the chart. I think someone has posted here that the evening and weekend see for the Kitchener Corridor to Mount Pleasant will come in April 2017, one month after the 2016-2017 fiscal year. Perhaps I'll update chart to help keep track.

Some kind of service announcement is coming tomorrow. Via twitter:

I would assume it's for the Milton Corridor. Looking at the Steve Munro chart here with the blog article here (based off of information from Metrolinx), there were only two new trains scheduled for 2015-2016. Has that already happened? There's no new service projected between 2016-17 and beyond. Maybe CP Rail allowed for more service.

From the government news release:
Metrolinx is working with the Town of Milton, through a multi-stakeholder advisory group, to explore a full range of solutions that address Milton's unique transit and congestion challenges. As well, Metrolinx is looking at rail capacity opportunities to accommodate future growth and development in the area.

Very vague and non-commital. But maybe an indication that Metrolinx is still trying to hammer out how to get CP as part of the Missing Link.

The earlier Big Move plans included the Milton Line, but RER seems to have put it on the back burner. I don't believe an EA exists for this route?

The original "triple tracking" from Royal York to Dixie really wasn't - it preserved two-track routing when the south main track was converted to a switching zone for the Intermodal terminal, and resolved conflict between the intermodal switching and access to the Canpa Sub. More recently, closure of the Intermodal yard, and rerouting/cancellation of trains to the Canpa Sub, have freed up that capacity for other uses.

The gap between Dixie and Confederation Parkway is about 6 km long. West of Erindale, it would take 22 km's of new track to reach Milton. There are some level crossings to consider in both gaps. It's a fair sized project.

It's puzzling that this line would get such low priority for all-day service given its current ridership and future potential. CP has far fewer freight trains using that line these days and one would think they would welcome the opportunity to get GO to assume some of the costs for the line.

- Paul

The earlier Big Move plans included the Milton Line, but RER seems to have put it on the back burner. I don't believe an EA exists for this route?

The Big Move was amended on February 14, 2013. As part of the amendments, Milton improvements between Meadowvale and Milton were moved from the 15-year to the 25-year plan. So yes, put on the backburner. Same went for Kitchener line between Mt Pleasant and Georgetown, Barrie line between East Gwillimbury and Bradford, and the Bolton and Havelock lines.

It's puzzling that this line would get such low priority for all-day service given its current ridership and future potential. CP has far fewer freight trains using that line these days and one would think they would welcome the opportunity to get GO to assume some of the costs for the line.

They're probably protecting future capacity.

Once Metrolinx starts running trains, it'll be really hard (politically) to kick them off in 20 years when CP traffic picks up.

Del Duca has to be the worst transport minister in some time. Even Murray had an idea (london-toronto highspeed)

He said as much when he was put into place; his job was to execute on existing ideas/projects and not create additional ones.

I expect to see a ton of additional tendering over the next 18 months or his oversight of that folio may indeed be a failure. If we see tenders (and contract close) Finch, Union & corridor electrification, RER rolling stock, and various corridor modifications agreements in place before the next election then I'll probably consider it a success.

In short, if the Conservatives (or NDP) can't afford to cancel RER because all the contracts are locked in, then I'll be very happy.

I doubt very much either the NDP or Cons will cancel GO expansion.

The Conservatives in particular would never cancel it and in fact I could see them expanding on the program and pushing the time schedule up. GO primarily serves suburban voters which is where the Tories need to pick up seats/votes if thy are to regain power and cancelling projects that serve those voters specifically would cost them big time in the 905.......it's not going to happen. I could see them shunning some Toronto projects as they will never get any support in the city itself but GO expansion is assured regardless of who is in power and with the Tories even more so. If anybody would cut back on GO it would be the NDP.

Under Wynn written transit plan for 2014, the EA was to start 2015/16 for a 4 track corridor with a flyunder from the south side to the north side at the Humber River, with the whole corridor in operation by 2022 for the Milton Line.

If I remember correctly, the cost was about $1.2-$1.5 Billion. This included electrifying the line 100%.

The service changes - apart, perhaps, from the new Brantford and Cambridge routes - are minor and unexciting. One new train trip to Milton, extension of existing trains to Kitchener, and maybe one more new trip on that corridor. One press conference can do, flanked by all the Liberal MPPs you want. Del Duca is milking it, and people will stop paying attention.

But the role now is getting the approved projects started. Not coming up with new plans out of left field, like Glen Murray liked to do. They're both bad, but for different reasons.

At least it was something.
seriously, I am no fan of all these pressers....but having a Ministry of Transportation that is actually delivering on previous plans rather than coming up with never ending new plans is somewhat refreshing. For too many years the GTHA has led the world in transit plans....but lagged most similar places in actual transit.

Back