News   Jul 29, 2024
 641     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 322     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 621     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I'm hoping that GO starts taking over the buses within the Guelph-Kitchener-Hamilton triangle. There's nothing right now between Hamilton and Guelph; the Greyhound service isn't great between Kitchener and Guelph, difficult from Cambridge, and only 3-4 buses a day between Kitchener and Hamilton.

I argue for such links on my blog, if you're interested:
http://seanmarshall.ca/2015/11/25/the-golden-horseshoes-missing-links/

I believe the tri-city and Guelph had started discussions with the province on improving transit in the triangle early last year. No idea what has happened after the municipal elections.

GO Transit fares to increase effective Jan 1 by about 5%:
GO Transit Fare Increase
Good grief, they are freezing cash fares for short distances - and actually dropping them by a few cents with the increase in the Presto discount from 10% to 11.15%. That's a first - I'm not sure I've ever had a price drop in my life on any system - other than when TTC got rid of child fares (which certainly reduces the amount of stuff I carry in my wallet!)

It's good they are dropping the prices for short haul routes but that doesn't change the fact thet the system still grossly benefits long haul travel. Someone travelling from Exhibition to Union still pays about quadruple what someone does from Burlington on a per km based fare.

Anyone have any more information about any more track doubling going on with any of the Non-Lakeshore lines?

As much as electrification is important, if we don't lay tracks, there can't be 2 way all day service no matter how many wires we hang up!

Plus we can still have 2 way service now with bi-levels if we add more track, while we wait for electrification.

All we have on the books so far is a small siding on Barrie and Stouffville.

They really need to get on adding more tracks now! I'm actually anticipating this more than electrification.

It's good they are dropping the prices for short haul routes but that doesn't change the fact thet the system still grossly benefits long haul travel. Someone travelling from Exhibition to Union still pays about quadruple what someone does from Burlington on a per km based fare.

Short fares should be around $3, no more.

True ... but it only cost $4.77; compare to a 1-way TTC express bus fare from downtown which is $5.80.

For some trips, GO is already cheaper. If you return in under 3 hours from Exhibition, after starting in Union, it will only costs $2.36 for each leg, compared to $2.90 on TTC.

Long way to go to fare integration, but a TTC token going up a dime, while an equivalent GO fare dropping over a nickel, is a small step in the right direction.

True ... but it only cost $4.77; compare to a 1-way TTC express bus fare from downtown which is $5.80.
If you're using a TTC express bus for more than 7 days in a month (which most people are), you'd just buy an Express Sticker for $40. I doubt many people are paying $5.60 (or soon to be $5.80) for that trip.

Someone headed from Union Station to Brampton (34 kilometres by rail) will pay the same 60-cent fare hike as someone going 101 kilometres to Kitchener Station. Why can't GO Transit implement a percentage-based fare increase?

If you're using a TTC express bus for more than 7 days in a month (which most people are), you'd just buy an Express Sticker for $40. I doubt many people are paying $5.60 (or soon to be $5.80) for that trip.
Well I use a token plus my metro pass to go the same distance the direction - only use it about twice a month, to sticker not worth it. Normally standing-room only when I get on. Normally saves me about 5 minutes on a 25-minute trip ... though when I choose to do it, it's normally because I can see that it's going to be more than a 25-minute trip because of problems.

Someone headed from Union Station to Brampton (34 kilometres by rail) will pay the same 60-cent fare hike as someone going 101 kilometres to Kitchener Station. Why can't GO Transit implement a percentage-based fare increase?

Someone headed to Union Station from King (1.4 km) will pay the same 10-cent fare hike as someone going 22km from STC. Why can't TTC implement a percentage-based fare increase?

Most transit agencies that charge by distance or zones normally have a % of their fare as fixed and a % based on mileage. It's to mimic the cost structure and to encourage certain behaviours.

Someone headed to Union Station from King (1.4 km) will pay the same 10-cent fare hike as someone going 22km from STC. Why can't TTC implement a percentage-based fare increase?

Most transit agencies that charge by distance or zones normally have a % of their fare as fixed and a % based on mileage. It's to mimic the cost structure and to encourage certain behaviours.

That is not how GO's fare hikes work. They are in fact tiered by distance. The issue being raised here is that the distace of the tiers doesn't make sense. The first distace tier doesn't even encompass all of Toronto. Most of the system is in the 'high distance' tier. A percentage based fare increase is what they are trying to do, but they are doing it badly.

Uh, because the TTC charges a flat zone. The rider from Union to King (but why would one take the TTC just for one stop though?) would be paying the same % increase as the rider from STC.

GO Transit's problem is that the tiered fare increases are pretty bad because they aren't in line with the "fare by distance" model that GO pretends to use . And freezing the fares on the a few trip-pairs (like Union-Exhibition, or Union-Danforth) barely makes a dent.

Back