News   Jul 19, 2024
 465     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 722     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Interpreted verbatim:
Hamilton: Upgrade to hourly, All-Day 2-Way (AD2W) service, using diesel trains
Aldershot: Downgrade to hourly, AD2W service (uses Hamilton diesel trains trains)
Burlington: Upgrade to 15-minute subway-like convenience, "don't even need to peek timetable".
I think you are reading too much into a brief table. If the ten-year plan, the service is 15 minutes to Burlington and 60-minute (or better) to Hamilton, it doesn't preclude them for running half of the 15-minute Burlington trains to Aldershot. The table also doesn't mention the extension to Centennial, which is planned in the ten-year timeframe.

I think you are reading too much into a brief table. If the ten-year plan, the service is 15 minutes to Burlington and 60-minute (or better) to Hamilton, it doesn't preclude them for running half of the 15-minute Burlington trains to Aldershot. The table also doesn't mention the extension to Centennial, which is planned in the ten-year timeframe.
The Aldershot leg is not owned by Metrolinx. That is why it was left out today. How will the 15-min electric trains reach unelectricified Aldershot?

If they succesfully negotiate rail in the freight corridors and electricify, they will run all of them to Aldershot, might as well - easier to sync the trains. They leave at the :01 and :31 at Aldershot, all day long, all stations on Lakeshore East/West have equally memorizable departure times like that. But if they send every other train, the schedules start to diverge on the return trip. Better to keep terminus consistent, or use farther away terminuses such as Oakville for the next-higher-frequency level. Like they do today at peak (more frequent at Oakville than Aldershot).

Last edited:
Which train on KW is currently considered "off peak" is it the 9:40 a.m. eastbound out of Bramalea or the 6:50 pm westbound out of Union?

9:40am. Anything between 9am and 4pm, and after (i think) 8pm is considered off peak. Stouffville currently has 3 off peak trips, 9:58am union arrival (9:15 departure from Unionville), then 2:18 and 3:18 pm departures to Unionville.

9:40am. Anything between 9am and 4pm, and after (i think) 8pm is considered off peak. Stouffville currently has 3 off peak trips, 9:58am union arrival (9:15 departure from Unionville), then 2:18 and 3:18 pm departures to Unionville.

9 to 4 and after 7 pm, everyday.

Btw, Great Job today. Excited to take the train to Brampton, Vaughan and Markham in the near future.

Agreed. Milton is getting more peak trains, which it doesn't even need.

They aren't adding a single non-peak train, so we still haven't gotten back the service that Harris cut.

The platform paper itself was worded something like "$14 billion for transportation projects in the GTA which could possibly contribute to things such as the DRL or Waterfront east LRT"

It wasn't a full funding announcement for specific projects, more of an announcement for the transit fund with actual project announcements to come later.

Ahh I see. Thanks.

The Aldershot leg is not owned by Metrolinx. That is why it was left out today. How will the 15-min electric trains reach unelectricified Aldershot?
Presumably the same way that some trains will be providing all-day hourly service to Hamilton Centre.

"Opportunities to increase the number of revenue trips (e.g., counterpeak) are being explored."

Any ideas what this is likely referring to?

i bet you this will all be done and we still won't have a DRL.

Of course not..

This is a 10 year plan, with a lot of incremental improvements in service happening before 10 years, every year. That chart shows massive off-peak service improvements later this year or next year for Georgetown line, then Stouffville and Barrie a few years later.

DRL is 12-15 years away (optimistically, if it even happens).

Of course not..

This is a 10 year plan, with a lot of incremental improvements in service happening before 10 years, every year. That chart shows massive off-peak service improvements later this year or next year for Georgetown line, then Stouffville and Barrie a few years later.

DRL is 12-15 years away (optimistically, if it even happens).

It makes me sad Ehlow. And if this all happens, it means go will be taking needed pressure of the subway and they'll push the DRL back to 2050 or whatever.

Back