News   Jul 16, 2024
 197     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 949     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Hmm, interesting. I wonder what the train I saw did between 8:30 and 9:39. I'm pretty sure it was 6 cars, and this is supported by the fact that it had a single F59 locomotive, a configuration I don't see with 10 or 12 packs anymore.

Full disclosure...like I said, I am seldom there and haven't been on that 9:39 since November(ish) so things may have changed...but it certainly was a 12 car train (with, as I said, the two westerly cars taken out of service but dragged...or pusedh, I don't know...along).

Jeez, talk about unfair reporting. The 124 minute travel time is based on all-stops service on a railway plagued with construction-related slowdowns. Local trains did the trip in 119 minutes before construction started, and the project itself should cut around 20 minutes off that (speed increases plus limited-stop pattern). And then there's the fact that we just bought the Kitchener-Georgetown segment and will be heavily investing in that too, which would bring the travel time well below 90 minutes.
Even today, VIA Rail is running Kitchener-Toronto in 100 minutes with 4 stops, and they ran it in 90 minutes a few years ago before the construction.

JBesides, the Milton line currently takes 57 minutes. Based on a typical 10 minute transfer, this implies that the Cambridge-Milton shuttle could cover the 43 km in 23 minutes. That's an average speed of 112 km/h, which is way beyond what is reasonable to expect on a busy freight line with sharp curves.
CP was doing the 57.2 miles from Toronto to Cambridge (Galt) as fast as 66 minutes in 1950. Though those fast trains didn't stop in Milton, only stopping in Parkdale, West Toronto and Guelph Junction (in 49 minutes). The best time to Milton in 1950 was 51 minutes (stopping in the same and Streetsville). Though one train (originating in Chicago) got from Galt to Milton in 35 minutes.

Even today, VIA Rail is running Kitchener-Toronto in 100 minutes with 4 stops, and they ran it in 90 minutes a few years ago before the construction.

CP was doing the 57.2 miles from Toronto to Cambridge (Galt) as fast as 66 minutes in 1950. Though those fast trains didn't stop in Milton, only stopping in Parkdale, West Toronto and Guelph Junction (in 49 minutes). The best time to Milton in 1950 was 51 minutes (stopping in the same and Streetsville). Though one train (originating in Chicago) got from Galt to Milton in 35 minutes.

With Milton trains every 10 minutes, I'm not sure how much potential there is for express service. It's possible that there are places where overtaking could be possible, but I'm not very familiar with operations on the Galt sub.

Full disclosure...like I said, I am seldom there and haven't been on that 9:39 since November(ish) so things may have changed...but it certainly was a 12 car train (with, as I said, the two westerly cars taken out of service but dragged...or pusedh, I don't know...along).

The last I checked, the 09:39 is a train from Lincolnville that deadheads west from Union to Bramalea after its inbound run, then turns back as the Bramalea train.

I ride it frequently, and have never seen the last two cars left out of service. What has been the case for a couple of years now is that the 12-car train is too long for the temporary platform at Bloor. Only some cars open doors at Bloor. There are PA announcements telling passengers in the other cars to move to the Accessibility (middle) coach if they want to disembark at Bloor. They always read the exact car numbers, which minimises passengers not getting off.

- Paul

With Milton trains every 10 minutes, I'm not sure how much potential there is for express service. It's possible that there are places where overtaking could be possible, but I'm not very familiar with operations on the Galt sub.

That's one reason why there is an EA for expansion to four-track service on this route. Until that happens, both 2-way service and express service is not likely to happen, especially given freight activity on this line.

- Paul

While I was at Bramalea at 08:28 on Thursday, a six-car GO train pulled into the platform westbound. I can guess that it's the southbound Barrie Line run that arrived at Union at 7:47, but is this a daily occurrence?

The last I checked, the 09:39 is a train from Lincolnville that deadheads west from Union to Bramalea after its inbound run, then turns back as the Bramalea train.

I ride it frequently, and have never seen the last two cars left out of service. What has been the case for a couple of years now is that the 12-car train is too long for the temporary platform at Bloor. Only some cars open doors at Bloor. There are PA announcements telling passengers in the other cars to move to the Accessibility (middle) coach if they want to disembark at Bloor. They always read the exact car numbers, which minimises passengers not getting off.

- Paul

That used to be the case Paul. As of Monday the 9th, however, they have changed the cycling on that crew.

They were finding that the train was frequently getting delayed by the second inbound Kitchener train, as it had to wait at Parkdale rather than somewhere further up the line. What they have done instead is put together another L6 trainset that would run north early in the morning and sit at Bramalea for most of the morning rush hour. The Lincolnville train now sits at Union as a spare until a little before the Georgetown train arrives at Union, and then deadheads to Willowbrook.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Dan - that's a hoot - I always pick the lead car, and hadn't noticed the shorter train......although it seemed much more crowded all of a sudden!

- Paul

I ride it frequently, and have never seen the last two cars left out of service.

Like I said, it has been a few months and I never ride that train with any great frequency....but the last two times I rode it the last two cars were "dark" (ie. no lights on in the cabins and the doors did not open at Bramalea.

What has been the case for a couple of years now is that the 12-car train is too long for the temporary platform at Bloor. Only some cars open doors at Bloor. There are PA announcements telling passengers in the other cars to move to the Accessibility (middle) coach if they want to disembark at Bloor. They always read the exact car numbers, which minimises passengers not getting off.

- Paul

This is not just an issue with the 12 car train that, it seems, used to serve that 9:39 run......the 10 car trains that serve the rest of the runs have the same announcements at Bloor (and for a short while they also did at Etobicoke North).

Until Bloor New Platform now schedule to opens this spring that was schedule too open in Dec, the last few cars are closed off at that station until then.

Etobicoke can handle 12 car trains now and had close off cars due to platform work or length before then.

Bronte South Platform has close cars due to rebuilding that platform now for the next year. Only happens at Peak time, as trains use track 2 off peak.

PA announcements are made stops before the station as while nearing the station as to what cars are close for a station. You have to walk to X car to get off if you are in one of them.

Don't why some people get all upset if they see close cars on a train when they don't use the system that much in the first place. If there is a reason, then there is a reason and accept it as things do happen on line daily.

Could be a door problem and those cars were taken out of service. Someone could been sick in those cars. So many reasons, but few answers. Live with it.

As an after thought, tracks 3 & 4 were to be move this past weekend and connected to the tunnel tracks, that the Bloor Stations is almost ready to see trains on track 4 while track 2 and the east platform is rebuilt. This will allow riders to gain access to the platform from the RailPath current access points..

Last edited:
Bronte South Platform has close cars due to rebuilding that platform now for the next year. Only happens at Peak time, as trains use track 2 off peak.

Backwards, drum. Track 2 is used during the peak, Track 3 with the restriction west of the accessible car is used off-peak.

Backwards, drum. Track 2 is used during the peak, Track 3 with the restriction west of the accessible car is used off-peak.
To be correct for Bronte Only, all trains use track 2 from peak time to peak time. Track 3 is not use between Peak time to Peak time for weekday service in the Bronte Area.

Since I don't use the line at night or weekend, not sure about track 3 for service then. The access ramp is at the very west end and will require 4 cars being out of service in either direction. It would be in GO best interest to use track 2 all the time since all cars will be service at the station for off peak service as well weekends.

Was additional service recently added to the Barrie line? I noticed there is a train that now leaves at 18:45 from Union...

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere in this thread

To be correct for Bronte Only, all trains use track 2 from peak time to peak time. Track 3 is not use between Peak time to Peak time for weekday service in the Bronte Area.

Since I don't use the line at night or weekend, not sure about track 3 for service then. The access ramp is at the very west end and will require 4 cars being out of service in either direction. It would be in GO best interest to use track 2 all the time since all cars will be service at the station for off peak service as well weekends.

Track 3 is used at night and all day on weekends. Much less convenient especially for non-regular riders who go to the station at the east end to buy tickets and then have to walk all the way down the track 1/2 platform and down the stairs to get to track 3. I've seen many people running desperately down the platform as an eastbound train is stopping. I hope the engine crews alert the CSAs to hold for them. Track 2 is sometimes used for westbound service in the offpeak as CN freight movements between Aldershot and Oakville run on Track 1.

Back