News   Jul 15, 2024
 765     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 916     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 638     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

It's not possible for the average middle class person to afford a 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom, double car garage house and two cars to park in that garage in Toronto... but it never was. Some people are just happy to trade away their time in exchange for the American Dream. :D

I've never been to either of those, let alone spent much time there.

I'm surprised though that Geneva is lower than San Francisco.

I don't think they have.

San Francisco is actualy more expensive than NYC according to some surveys it's not shocking.

I think Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto are out of reach. Montreal is still cheap.
It's not possible for the average middle class person to afford a 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom, double car garage house and two cars to park in that garage in Toronto... but it never was. Some people are just happy to trade away their time in exchange for the American Dream. :D

The game's the game. There's a price to be paid for everything.

I think Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto are out of reach. Montreal is still cheap.
Montreal cheap? Look at how high the taxes are there. Most categories are the same. Housing might be cheaper, but overall, Montreal might be slightly lower or similar to Toronto, but I'd hardly call it cheap.

So, what is the planned service pattern to Hamilton Hunter Street after Hamilton James Street station opens? It's not being closed, is it?

So, what is the planned service pattern to Hamilton Hunter Street after Hamilton James Street station opens? It's not being closed, is it?

The 4 trains from Hunter St. will continue, although their timing may change. 2 trains will run from James St. starting in June - one of which will be a brand new train - with 2 more starting at some point next year.

On top of that, most 12 buses will stop at James St. as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Excellent question. I've been wondering that myself. Maybe it will be the case but before trains still go to the James Street Station and the additional train outside of rush hour go to the new station.

Edit: missed the responses to this above because I'm on my phone and didn't see them

Nothing, because the existing trains will continue to use it.
This makes a lot of sense, because this allows the spike of frequency of trains going through Aldershot and the rest of the route, for the morning peak upswing.

Eventually, way more trains will use the JamesNorth station, since Metrolinx's Lewis train layover enables all-day regular service through JamesNorth. JamesNorth (Phase 2) will not be fully completed until 2017, so I would naturally expect a gradual ramp-up of GO service to Hamilton, culiminating in all-day 30 minute service a few years later.

My prediction is that existing service to Hunter Street will continue until the A-Line is built. After that, service will be discontinued. As for the station, I dunno what it would be used for, but it will stay for many decades to come as it is a designated Heritage Railway Station.

Hamilton's proposed BLAST network includes the L-line, which is proposed to go between Waterdown and downtown using Highway 6 and York Boulevard. I always thought the CP ROW might make a nice use out of the GO centre, but I don't see how a) CP will be looking for a different ROW to connect them to Buffalo, b) how it would be economical for CP and HSR to share the tunnel, or c) how using the GO centre makes more sense than letting the B, L and A lines come together at MacNab Terminal.

Maybe someone will come up with a great idea for a renewed use.

The L line is by far the furthest out line in that plan, and has essentially 0% chance of happening. Seriously. Ignore it.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5330290-go-train-extension-to-stoney-creek-will-cost-150-million/

1 hour ago | Vote0 0
[h=1]GO Train extension to Stoney Creek will cost $150 million[/h]
B821858031Z.1_20150209135600_000_GV41DV1SN.2_Content.jpg

[h=2]GO TRAIN[/h]Hamilton SpectatorExtending GO Train service beyond the new James Street station to Stoney Creek will cost $150 million.

Hamilton SpectatorBy Matthew Van Dongen
Extending GO Train service beyond the new James Street station to Stoney Creek will cost $150 million.
City transit director Dave Dixon says he recently learned the cost estimate – which includes $35 million for a basic station – from planners with the provincial rapid transit agency Metrolinx, which runs GO.
But there is still no timeline for such a project, he added, and no defined pot of money set aside for expansion beyond James Street and into Niagara.
Metrolinx is working to finish the first phase of a $58-million GO station at James Street North in time for the Pan Am Games in July.
Dixon surprised councillors on Friday with a 10-year plan for local bus service upgrades that includes an express bus connection between the Mountain and the as-yet unconfirmed east end GO station.
Metrolinx has also purchased property along Centennial Parkway, but the ultimate use of the land is still unclear.
The 1.5 acres is near the Centennial Parkway rail bridge, which is being rebuilt with extra track capacity for the anticipated GO expansion into Niagara.
More to come.

That's a huge chunk of change. How many people are going to use this potential extension? It seems like a waste of money to me.

35 million dollars for a basic Stoney Creek station, probably a basic version of this:
http://gotransitnlb.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/Final_Confederation_Station .pdf

Diagram of Stoney Creek GO Station, named "Confederation GO Station".
confederationGO.png

(I also have photos of the rail overpass reconstruction as well)

I think most of the 150 million is the extra trackage that goes adjacent to the existing CN track, going from JamesNorth, and beyond to Lewis? I wonder if part of the 150 million includes the rail underpass near Hamilton Junction, to more easily permit 30 minute service (probably does not include cost of overpass near Bayview Junction, but am curious)?

Attachments

• confederationGO.png
    confederationGO.png
    257.5 KB · Views: 1,493
Last edited:

Back