News   Apr 25, 2024
 580     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 501     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 744     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

European (non North American more accurately) trains would be premised on Positive Train Control being implemented to ensure separation from VIA, freight and heavier GO equipment. This would either restrict such trains to territory where freights would not enter or require all locomotives including CN and CP which would use the same track to fit PTC equipment. This is already a problem in the US because even if you get past the wireless spectrum issues, PTC gear is not cheap and the freight roads will not want to pay (VIA won't want to either and will be looking for Metrolinx or the Feds to fit their locos out)

The York U fuss is likely by students who use the GO to commute. Now they will be forced to get off at Downsview Park, and take the subway two stops north.

I don't think the extra distance is much to gripe about, but I can understand that these students may be upset at the extra cost. I was a student, I know what it's like when things get tight, and people chuck extra costs at you. I'm assuming the TYSSE stations will be equipped with Presto from opening day, so if anything, this is more onus on the City of Toronto to get its ass in gear and set up co-fares (for all of Toronto, not just certain areas).

Something needs to be done. Students who arrive by GO bus to York U (many, many times more than those who arrive via York University Station) will also be forced to transfer to the subway at Highway 407 as York doesn't want buses on campus anymore. Same with Viva Purple and Zum 501/501A. (It's rather silly as York is THE trip generator, but I digress.) It would be ridiculous to not only force a new transfer to bus passengers for a short distance, but to also charge an extra fare to do so.

There would have to be a "tap-off" option for PRESTO for passengers transferring to York University or Pioneer Village (which is closer to parts of York's campus) stations, say after exiting the turnstiles, from Downsview Park, Highway 407 or Vaughan stations from GO, YRT/Viva or Zum to refund the TTC fare paid when card was tapped at either of those stations and vice-versa (say a refund of the TTC fare charged at those two stations upon tapping on at GO's Downsview Park Station, or a GO, YRT or Brampton Transit bus.

Last edited:
European (non North American more accurately) trains would be premised on Positive Train Control being implemented to ensure separation from VIA, freight and heavier GO equipment. This would either restrict such trains to territory where freights would not enter or require all locomotives including CN and CP which would use the same track to fit PTC equipment. This is already a problem in the US because even if you get past the wireless spectrum issues, PTC gear is not cheap and the freight roads will not want to pay (VIA won't want to either and will be looking for Metrolinx or the Feds to fit their locos out)

I guess a good question to find out is can trains be built to FRA (and Canadian) standards that do not compromise speed and acceleration as well as capacity and boarding.

Perhaps if they can, and without significant cost, why wouldn't you just go that route?

Something needs to be done. Students who arrive by GO bus to York U (many, many times more than those who arrive via York University Station) will also be forced to transfer to the subway at Highway 407 as York doesn't want buses on campus anymore. Same with Viva Purple and Zum 501/501A. (It's rather silly as York is THE trip generator, but I digress.) It would be ridiculous to not only force a new transfer to bus passengers for a short distance, but to also charge an extra fare to do so.

There would have to be a "tap-off" option for PRESTO for passengers transferring to York University or Pioneer Village (which is closer to parts of York's campus) stations, say after exiting the turnstiles, from Downsview Park, Highway 407 or Vaughan stations from GO, YRT/Viva or Zum to refund the TTC fare paid when card was tapped at either of those stations and vice-versa (say a refund of the TTC fare charged at those two stations upon tapping on at GO's Downsview Park Station, or a GO, YRT or Brampton Transit bus.

This is the huge elephant in the room that none of the stakeholders involved with the Spadina project want to divulge until as late as they can. It would be a tragedy to see a forced, paid transfer for York U students.

This is the huge elephant in the room that none of the stakeholders involved with the Spadina project want to divulge until as late as they can. It would be a tragedy to see a forced, paid transfer for York U students.

I think it has already been revealed.....the fact that York wants no buses on campus after the YUS extension opens is no secret......I think the various transit agencies that currently go to York (GO, BT/Zum, Viva) just have to announce/formalize where they are connecting to the subway....but it won't be on campus.

the bus route changes have already been announced, and have been around for a while actually. It has always been presumed however that students wouldn't have to pay an additional $2.70 to get to York U however, and BMO is worried that an agreement to prevent that may not occur and York U students will be left with the bill.

the bus route changes have already been announced, and have been around for a while actually. It has always been presumed however that students wouldn't have to pay an additional $2.70 to get to York U however, and BMO is worried that an agreement to prevent that may not occur and York U students will be left with the bill.

I never understand this fascination with students (and before you all jump....I am paying for one of them now).....if a student at York and, say, a maintenance guy at york both live in Brampton and both take the Zum to campus...they are both going to see a fair increase because the change in the way transit to school works.

Why should the student not have to pay the equal cost of the resources they are using just as the maintenance guy will? If the student isn't paying....who covers that cost for them? Should the TTC just eat that? Should York somehow pay that? Should the taxpayers just do it?

I never understand this fascination with students (and before you all jump....I am paying for one of them now).....if a student at York and, say, a maintenance guy at york both live in Brampton and both take the Zum to campus...they are both going to see a fair increase because the change in the way transit to school works.

Why should the student not have to pay the equal cost of the resources they are using just as the maintenance guy will? If the student isn't paying....who covers that cost for them? Should the TTC just eat that? Should York somehow pay that? Should the taxpayers just do it?
Because the student is not working I guess.

I would presume that the Maintenance guy would not have to pay the $2.70 either.

Unless you are now discussing student fares, which are rather unrelated to whether or not someone (student or not) would have to pay $2.70 to go 1 or 2 stops.

Students also tend to get discounts on a lot of things already, clothes, food (in some places), etc. Not government subsidized, private industry initiative.

I would presume that the Maintenance guy would not have to pay the $2.70 either.

Unless you are now discussing student fares, which are rather unrelated to whether or not someone (student or not) would have to pay $2.70 to go 1 or 2 stops.

Students also tend to get discounts on a lot of things already, clothes, food (in some places), etc. Not government subsidized, private industry initiative.

I was simply responding to the notion that a forced paid transfer for York U students was the elephant in the room.

Anyone going to York ...students, workers, people going to the Tennis event, etc. will be facing the same "forced transfer"

I think you are reading a bit too much into it. Using the word student was largely because the destination is a university and students tend to consist of the majority of users travelling to a university. its not some meaning where "regular" users don't get the discount, but a more general comment about access to the university. I don't think anyone was suggesting that your PRESTO card would have to be registered as a student card to not have to pay the fare.

I think you are reading a bit too much into it. Using the word student was largely because the destination is a university and students tend to consist of the majority of users travelling to a university. its not some meaning where "regular" users don't get the discount, but a more general comment about access to the university. I don't think anyone was suggesting that your PRESTO card would have to be registered as a student card to not have to pay the fare.

Just not sure how you would avoid it.

Someone arriving at the one of the subway stations via either GO or Zum or Viva would have to tap their presto card to get onto the subway.......there is no tap off so how would the system know the person got off at York U or Osgoode?

There is talk of providing "tap off" locations at York Univeristy station, and provided you "tapped on" at Steeles West, highway 407, Downsview park, or Vaughan Centre immediately after transferring from another carrier (meaning a tap on another bus service in the last 2 hours or something), you would have your TTC fare placed back on your PRESTO card.

Back