News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

were you going for the sarcasm of 2105, or was that just a typo of 2015 (the actual date when service can start to increase)?

I would say sarcasm.

Metrolinx has stated a few times over the past year that no new service was going to be added during the day until 2015 when the construction is completed.

There maybe some service sooner depending on a few things, most of all, not having an impact on the work. Once crews start to work, there is to be no interfering with it or stopping it as one of these new service starts.

You may get an extra train in the early am and late pm, if there are crews for them. Lack of crews is the big issue for more service across the system.

I noticed a KW train a few days ago with both power at the south end of the train, not at each ends.

I would say sarcasm.

Metrolinx has stated a few times over the past year that no new service was going to be added during the day until 2015 when the construction is completed.

There maybe some service sooner depending on a few things, most of all, not having an impact on the work. Once crews start to work, there is to be no interfering with it or stopping it as one of these new service starts.

You may get an extra train in the early am and late pm, if there are crews for them. Lack of crews is the big issue for more service across the system.

I noticed a KW train a few days ago with both power at the south end of the train, not at each ends.

I know, and accept, that there can be no new trains until 2015......not sure how making existing trains (some or all) 12 cars or extending the western reach of the 9:40 a.m. Train would affect the construction though.

One new Afternoon Train for Richmond Hill at 3:10pm, departing Union

Richmond Hill service is starting to get pretty asymmetrical.

4 trains to Union in the morning, 6 home in the evening.

Bus service from Richmond Hill to Union from 5:10am to 2:15pm.

Bus service from Union to Richmond Hill from 9:40am to 12:40am (all day).

It's easier to get from downtown to Richmond Hill than the other way around. Are there a large number of people taking GO out of town and coming back via VIVA/TTC?

I am at a loss as to why they're adding the early afternoon Stouffville run instead of one at 7pm which would seem much more useful.....

This was discussed earlier, and it seems that GO would require a new train set and crew for this run. The afternoon runs, now 14:18 and 15:18, just uses one of the existing train sets, which is why it only has time to go to Unionville. A train later than 18:30 really is needed though! There are 10 buses between 19:00 and 20:00.

Three new trains on Lakeshore West; I haven't figured out which are the added runs yet.
There's a new 9:34 AM eastbound from Aldershot, making all stops arriving Union 10:41 AM, which starts to fill in a bit more 30-minute service; though really they need to put an 8:34 AM eastbound making all stops first.

And there's a new 8:15 AM westbound from Union making all stops to Aldershot arriving 9:20 am (presumably the same train that returns at 9:34). Again a 7:15/7:20 AM westbound seems woefully missing.

And the 3rd train is a 5:23 pm express to Clarkson, which then makes all stops to Aldershot. There's already a 5:13 local to Oakville, a 5:15 express to Oakville (that proceeds to Aldershot) and a 5:34 express to Clarkson (that then proceeds to Aldershot and Hamilton). So we are starting to approach an express train every 10 minutes now ... which I assume it a testament to just how busy service is that time of day.

It's progress, even it's not as aggressive as some of us would like. These shoulder trip Lakeshore trains seem to be fairly well used. I ended up on the Lakeshore East arriving at 19:05 train at Union a few weeks ago that they added last year, and I figured it would be relatively empty, but I was surprised just how many seats were taken arriving at Union.

BTW, be careful with the new Easy-read schedules for station pairs. I'm finding mistakes in the new ones.

And the 3rd train is a 5:23 pm express to Clarkson, which then makes all stops to Aldershot. There's already a 5:13 local to Oakville, a 5:15 express to Oakville (that proceeds to Aldershot) and a 5:34 express to Clarkson (that then proceeds to Aldershot and Hamilton). So we are starting to approach an express train every 10 minutes now ... which I assume it a testament to just how busy service is that time of day.

The 5:23 trip will help a lot. The 5:34 is usually jammed right to the doors particularly with Clarkson passengers since the 5:15 doesn't serve Clarkson and the previous express train serving Clarkson is at 5:02 so there's a half-hour gap in express service to Clarkson. This should take quite a burden off the 5:34 train. Also, the 5:15 is tough to catch for those who finish at 5 and aren't in walking distance of Union.

An extra morning trip doing skip stops at Aldershot, Burlington and Oakville would also help distribute some of the heavy crowds on the second and third Hamilton trains.

I didn't realize that GO is running special late night trains from Union tomorrow night on all corridors except Richmond Hill.

Aldershot: 1:30 and 2:30 (with bus to Hamilton for both runs, no extra 16 QEW buses)
Oshawa: 1:30 and 2:30 (with bus to Newcastle for both runs)
Milton: 1:20
Georgetown: 1:30
Allandale Waterfront: 1:25
Lincolnville: 1:10

I remember not long ago GO's extra NYE service to Brampton was just an extra late night run on the local bus from York Mills/Yorkdale.

There's lots that still frustrates me about GO, but all the special train runs this year on the secondary rail corridors is a really nice touch.

There's lots that still frustrates me about GO, but all the special train runs this year on the secondary rail corridors is a really nice touch.

Now hopefully there's going to be some extra service for weekend Jays games this year! Especially given the increased attention (and hopefully attendance) they're going to have.

A lot of the schedules really don't work with a 1pm start time (Lakeshore West for example gets in at 12:10 and 1:10, which sucks). If they're likely to get 40K+ for most weekend home games, having dedicated Jays trains getting into Union around 12:40 would be perfect.

Outbound trains are a bit harder because the finish time isn't always the same, but if it's a dedicated train for the Jays games, can they have them wait until game end +15 mins? Or do they need to leave exactly when scheduled?

Now hopefully there's going to be some extra service for weekend Jays games this year! Especially given the increased attention (and hopefully attendance) they're going to have.

A lot of the schedules really don't work with a 1pm start time (Lakeshore West for example gets in at 12:10 and 1:10, which sucks). If they're likely to get 40K+ for most weekend home games, having dedicated Jays trains getting into Union around 12:40 would be perfect.

Outbound trains are a bit harder because the finish time isn't always the same, but if it's a dedicated train for the Jays games, can they have them wait until game end +15 mins? Or do they need to leave exactly when scheduled?

Oh god, I hope so. I have tickets for 15 games, and the thought of standing on the bus on the way back (or waiting for a later bus) is not very appealing.

Oh god, I hope so. I have tickets for 15 games, and the thought of standing on the bus on the way back (or waiting for a later bus) is not very appealing.

I can't speak for the GO buses, but I would imagine they would be even worse than the trains. The 12:10 arrival Lakeshore West train is full by the time it reaches Oakville most game days. I'm sure if it was advertised, a 12:40 arrival train would take a lot of that load off, but would still be reasonably full.

http://www.therecord.com/opinion/letters/article/862312--numbers-growing

Numbers growing
Re: Make trains faster: GO riders — Dec. 19

Dec. 19 marked the one-year anniversary of GO Train service between Kitchener and downtown Toronto.

This service began operation the year after the province requested GO Transit, a division of Metrolinx, to offer it as part of the expansion of the GO system.

When we launched the service, the daily average ridership from the Kitchener GO station was approximately 85 passengers, and the daily average ridership from Guelph GO station was approximately 65 passengers.

By last spring, those numbers grew to about 100 passengers from Kitchener GO and about 110 passengers from Guelph GO. These numbers are consistent with our expectations. Early this month, we will also open the new Acton GO station, adding even more ridership to this expanded service area.

Metrolinx is working to provide residents and businesses in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton areas with a transportation system that is modern, efficient and integrated, as shown in the transit plan The Big Move. As we move into our second year of train service to the Region of Waterloo, we look forward to further growth.

GO Transit’s number 1 goal is customer satisfaction, and we continue to do our best to provide our customers with an enjoyable and comfortable travel experience.

Gary McNeil

president, GO Transit

Toronto

Back