News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 396     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Anyhow,
The hot rumor going around is that 1/2 hr service is coming in the fall, that is if they have the man-power for it...

Word is GO is under a lot of pressure from the general public to provide this service. Which is quite obvious, but somewhat surprising to hear that that they are in a sense 'giving in' to the general consensus rather than implementing the plan at perhaps a more practical time... Than again, it is something that was originally promised years ago as we're all well aware, but had to be continually postponed(for a variety of reasons).

Question is, is it logistically possible?
Barrie & Niagara weekend service will both be ending in the fall, but that will only amount to 11 days worth of work per week (2 Barrie crews on Sat, 2 on Sun & 1 NF crew on Fri, 3 on Sat and 3 on Sun). Mid-day 1/2 hour service would mean doubling the trains out there at one time, from 5 to 10. Allocating those 11 days per week would only result in 2 of the 5 required crews.

The key is to re-arrange and re-distribute the jobs. One idea is to change several split shifts into 'long hauls'(split shift crews generally do fewer revenue runs, because they usually have to 'prep' their trains twice a day instead of once and because of additional equipment runs) and another would be to extend the service times of individual jobs( but that would result in more OT and higher operational costs, something that was curtailed only recently. By doing so, the required additional manpower requirements may be meet with the current work force.

The current engineer training class won't be qualified by the fall since they are continuously being taken out of training to cover other positions as the spare board is currently not sufficiently staffed to do so. There has recently been an unprecedented amount of staff currently off (for a multitude of reasons).
It's hard to plan for the unplanned. i.e. fatalities, health issues(heart attacks, illnesses), rule violation, etc.

GO has also really tightened the purse strings and is only allocating for a certain preset budget to go towards new hires. Seemingly without any leeway for any further degradation of available crews.

In defense of GO, its understandable that in the current economic climate the government is hard pressed to increase spending in any area. Also, it is the contractors responsibility to manage its own work force as efficiently as possible. But taking a look at the current circumstances, I think its entirely unreasonable to just demand for something to happen when an entity is just physically incapable of providing for such, at least not without potentially degrading the current quality of service.

Therefor, despite rumors to the contrary, my personal conclusion (based on the current situation) is that 1/2 hr service is unlike to begin in the fall(Sept) - 33% yay 67% nay.
Imo some time around the New Year would be more realistic since the throttle trainees will have been qualified by then as well as more CTO's (conductors). Either way, the fall or new years, seems like we're finally on the verge of a new era :)

Last edited:
Maybe they're planning to cut the layovers at Aldershot/Oshawa to 9 minutes each so that only 9 trainsets are needed? That would take care of one of the three "missing" crews. And I would think that moving from split to straight shifts would naturally follow from levelling out peak and off-peak service levels, but I don't know to what extent that's possible with the current safety regulations and union rules.

From what I understand the weekend Barrie trains are heavily enforced by the "GO-PO". I suppose the thinking is to curtail new users from abusing the system or to contradict the thought that because its a lightly used weekend service, it won't be heavily enforced.

Same is true for Ottawa. They don't seem to enforce POP during rush hour but they check fairly frequently (roughly 1 in 3 trips for me) during off-peak periods.

From what I understand the weekend Barrie trains are heavily enforced by the "GO-PO". I suppose the thinking is to curtail new users from abusing the system or to contradict the thought that because its a lightly used weekend service, it won't be heavily enforced.

Three enforcement crews are allocated to the Barrie line each Saturday and Sunday (on top of the two allocated to Niagara Falls trains), and they have been specifically told to minimize the number of tickets they give out (although they will certainly write one up if they find that the customer is a repeat offender or should have known better). They are also there to deal with any questions about the service, its schedule and also to provide customer counts back to Customer Service.

Anyhow,
The hot rumor going around is that 1/2 hr service is coming in the fall, that is if they have the man-power for it...

Word is GO is under a lot of pressure from the general public to provide this service.

As much pressure as the public may be providing, even more is coming from the Government. They would have liked to have had the half-hour service up and running by now, but that hasn't happened as yet for a variety of reasons. They keep pushing for it, but haven't provided for an increase in (or an indication that they would increase) funding to match the added costs of the service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As much pressure as the public may be providing, even more is coming from the Government.
I can't be the only one who is complaining directly to the Minister and Liberal MPs about repeated broken promises regarding this, and other transit initiatives.

The only reason we seem to have gotten GO to Kitchener, and the current plans to extend to Hamilton Centennial Parkway, has been political pressure.

Good news it would seem. Even if it doesn't start in September, it's clearly up their in the priorities. Perhaps we could see a partial implementation? Maybe mid-day and weekends, which would seem to have higher demands.

Last edited:
Three enforcement crews are allocated to the Barrie line each Saturday and Sunday (on top of the two allocated to Niagara Falls trains), and they have been specifically told to minimize the number of tickets they give out (although they will certainly write one up if they find that the customer is a repeat offender or should have known better). They are also there to deal with any questions about the service, its schedule and also to provide customer counts back to Customer Service.

Which is interesting because the Lakeshore Line (which I have been riding more than usual in the last few months as well) has been rather under-enforced weekends lately.

Anyhow,

Word is GO is under a lot of pressure from the general public to provide this service. Which is quite obvious, but somewhat surprising to hear that that they are in a sense 'giving in' to the general consensus rather than implementing the plan at perhaps a more practical time... Than again, it is something that was originally promised years ago as we're all well aware, but had to be continually postponed(for a variety of reasons).

Question is, is it logistically possible?
Barrie & Niagara weekend service will both be ending in the fall, but that will only amount to 11 days worth of work per week (2 Barrie crews on Sat, 2 on Sun & 1 NF crew on Fri, 3 on Sat and 3 on Sun). Mid-day 1/2 hour service would mean doubling the trains out there at one time, from 5 to 10. Allocating those 11 days per week would only result in 2 of the 5 required crews.

The key is to re-arrange and re-distribute the jobs. One idea is to change several split shifts into 'long hauls'(split shift crews generally do fewer revenue runs, because they usually have to 'prep' their trains twice a day instead of once and because of additional equipment runs) and another would be to extend the service times of individual jobs( but that would result in more OT and higher operational costs, something that was curtailed only recently. By doing so, the required additional manpower requirements may be meet with the current work force.

The current engineer training class won't be qualified by the fall since they are continuously being taken out of training to cover other positions as the spare board is currently not sufficiently staffed to do so. There has recently been an unprecedented amount of staff currently off (for a multitude of reasons).
It's hard to plan for the unplanned. i.e. fatalities, health issues(heart attacks, illnesses), rule violation, etc.

GO has also really tightened the purse strings and is only allocating for a certain preset budget to go towards new hires. Seemingly without any leeway for any further degradation of available crews.

In defense of GO, its understandable that in the current economic climate the government is hard pressed to increase spending in any area. Also, it is the contractors responsibility to manage its own work force as efficiently as possible. But taking a look at the current circumstances, I think its entirely unreasonable to just demand for something to happen when an entity is just physically incapable of providing for such, at least not without potentially degrading the current quality of service.

Therefor, despite rumors to the contrary, my personal conclusion (based on the current situation) is that 1/2 hr service is unlike to begin in the fall(Sept) - 33% yay 67% nay.
Imo some time around the New Year would be more realistic since the throttle trainees will have been qualified by then as well as more CTO's (conductors). Either way, the fall or new years, seems like we're finally on the verge of a new era :)

About time!!!

Half-hour service on Lakeshore is kinda bittersweet for customers of all the other lines...

Updates from the Kitchener Line

Construction of Acton GO Station is starting. They have fenced off part of the Old Hide House Parking lot and have a trailer office and tractor out.

Construction of the tunnel to the new Park and Ride at Guelph GO Station is on schedule and should be done by fall. The park and ride part should be done shortly after. GO is also looking at having some GO parking along/near Farquhar Street where the Park and Ride will be.

Guelph Transit and GO Transit Fare integration is doing well. About 30-40 people use Guelph Transit to get to / from Guelph Central Station.

The number of Guelph/Kitchener riders using the 4:45pm train are outnumbering the number of riders using the 5:45pm train.

Half-hour service on Lakeshore is kinda bittersweet for customers of all the other lines...

Yes, we'll all be very pleased that our jammed-packed trains and buses will subsidize quarter-full runs to Durham Region, the least populous region of the GTA. Between this and expansions out to new area codes, anyone in York Region or Brampton can't help but feel cheated. :-(

Yes, we'll all be very pleased that our jammed-packed trains and buses will subsidize quarter-full runs to Durham Region, the least populous region of the GTA. Between this and expansions out to new area codes, anyone in York Region or Brampton can't help but feel cheated. :-(

Especially when some of us in Brampton have received emails that state, very clearly, that even after the massive spend on the line (which is the 25+ year excuse for there not being off peak service) that "there has never been any plans to introduce all-day, two-way service on the Kitchener line".

I used to wonder what would come first, Brampton reaching 1/2 million people or full GO train service......now I wonder if it will happen before 3/4 million.

The "subsidy" you refer to extends further than the at capacity trains on the other lines....factoring in all the at/over capacity services on all lines (including the peak Lakeshore lines)....GO gets to 85% fair recovery....the rest comes from general provincial tax revenue.....fairly confident there is a larger contribution to that from the 524k in Brampton than the 122k in Whitby!

I am encourage to see that I am not alone in thinking that 30 minute off peak service on two lines (while nice for them) should not be anywhere near the top of GO's priority list.

The "subsidy" you refer to extends further than the at capacity trains on the other lines....factoring in all the at/over capacity services on all lines (including the peak Lakeshore lines)....GO gets to 85% fair recovery....the rest comes from general provincial tax revenue.....fairly confident there is a larger contribution to that from the 524k in Brampton than the 122k in Whitby!

As political parties continue to court the "ethnic vote," sooner or later someone is going to look at a map of GO service and a map like this and figure out where political points can be scored:

0cf7cf6644e1b11485de8da60e61.jpg

I'm not suggesting for a minute that this was planned, but by focusing on increasing Lakeshore service, it's mostly appealing to one type of voter.

The mixed vote where the riding is 20% South Asian, 20% Chinese, 20% Jewish, and 20% Black?

Obviously my point was more that Burlington is 91.04% white, Oakville 81.2%, Whitby 83%, Oshawa 91.9%, etc. Places along Lakeshore like Pickering or Ajax are the exception. Politics is all about who gets what and how, and an unintended consequence of a "Lakeshore first, Barrie/Kitchener/etc second, and everyone else last" expansion policy is that communities/neighbourhoods/ridings with a high proportion of visible minorities are going to get shafted and eventually the electorate will take notice.

Back