News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Had you not said anything, I would not have known that is an exit sign...

Take note then for the next time you leave North America as you will find that sign or something pretty close to it in many other places. It already seems to be the defacto-standard.

Take note then for the next time you leave North America as you will find that sign or something pretty close to it in many other places. It already seems to be the defacto-standard.

That's good to know - but it doesn't change the fact that this sign is NOT well known here, and is easily misunderstood. I agree with them that I would NEVER associate this sign with emergency exits. For one, emergency exits are usually depicted with red in North America, not green.

Clear communications are not achieved by removing signs that people are familiar with and replacing them with signs that are NOT well known. An incremental approach where these signs are placed next to existing signs for a lengthy period of time at a great many places would work - but would obviously be very hard to arrange.

Informationsskylt-N%c3%b6dutg%c3%a5ng-pil-h%c3%b6ger-300x150mm.jpg
It's interesting that they want you to run to the exit, instead of walking.

It still varies from place to place. In England for example, they've solved the lack of clarity on what the sign is for by adding a few words:

fireexitleft.gif

Not sure what happens if you need an emergency exit, and there's no fire ... and why Europeans are supposed to run rather than walk.

Some places in North America require green instead of red for emergency exit signs, Maryland for one. Green is actually superior because green means go, and lit green is more visible in smokey conditions than lit red is.

In Toronto the City demands GREEN painted exit doors in parking garages:

G. A safe-exit door, the frame of a safe-exit door and the wall adjacent to the safe-exit
door to a distance of one metre on both sides of the frame and to a height of three
metres above the floor or to the soffit above the bulkhead over the door, shall be
coloured green to match the colour indicated by number 14193 in Federal Standard
595B COLORS, dated July 1994, 7690-01-162-2210 Fan Deck. [Amended 2004-
06-24 by By-law No. 559-2004]

For one, emergency exits are usually depicted with red in North America, not green.

Some places in North America require green instead of red for emergency exit signs, Maryland for one. Green is actually superior because green means go, and lit green is more visible in smokey conditions than lit red is.

Green editions of the text-based EXIT sign is quite common in the U.S. and virtually absent here. As ShonTron noted, in some jurisdictions, it's actually required over red. Here's a breakdown put together by one vendor.

In any event, this (off-topic) conversation is basically moot because changes to start phasing in the green international running man symbol across Canada came as part of the 2010 National Building Code that are expected to propagate down to the various provincial codes. The CSA is now in a transition mode where both styles are compliant, according to this Canadian sign catalogue.

It's interesting that they want you to run to the exit, instead of walking.

It still varies from place to place. In England for example, they've solved the lack of clarity on what the sign is for by adding a few words:

fireexitleft.gif

If a picture is unclear and cannot be understood without text, then the picture is pointless. If that picture is supposed to depict a fire exit, then I expect to see some fire somewhere. Show the guy engulfed in flames or something. Otherwise, just get rid of the stupid pictures altogether.

I can tell you from the 8 cities I have visited so far on my Europe Trip, that sign is used without the word fire exit. It is even used to exits train and tubes stations. Running and walking figures are used also.

If a picture is unclear and cannot be understood without text, then the picture is pointless. If that picture is supposed to depict a fire exit, then I expect to see some fire somewhere. Show the guy engulfed in flames or something. Otherwise, just get rid of the stupid pictures altogether.

Reading Phantom27's links, it looks like this sign is NOT an emergency exit sign, it's an exit sign. As such, it's reasonable enough, although I do think that supplying text along with the pictogram would be superior.

Is there a separate emergency exit pictogram, perhaps with a fire, then?

The hotel I am staying at in Nice has those signs with arrows point either left or right as well down. They are emergency signs as well fire and exits.

I have no problem understanding what is going on with these signs. Words get in the way of what is to happen and cause people to slow down to understand the sign.

Signs over here are clear than at home as to what is require of you.

Reading Phantom27's links, it looks like this sign is NOT an emergency exit sign, it's an exit sign. As such, it's reasonable enough, although I do think that supplying text along with the pictogram would be superior.

Is there a separate emergency exit pictogram, perhaps with a fire, then?

But the current emergency exit signs only say "EXIT"?

Back