News   May 06, 2024
 279     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 714     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Uh, Mississauga does have all day GO train service.

And Blue 22 haunts us still. Will someone please drive the stake into its heart?

If Blue 22 died (or has it already?) would it still be a good idea to build a Woodbine Station on the Georgetown GO line that would connect with the Airport's people mover?

If the Georgetown line ever got every day, all day, two way service, would that not be a viable way for folks to get from downtown to the airport? Without any express service or track improvments at all, the Georgetown trains make to Etobicoke North in 22 minutes and make it to Malton in 28 minutes......so, presumably, they would make it to a new Woodbine/airport station in, say, 25 minutes.......was/is the expenditure on Blue 22 and the fares folks would have to pay worth saving those 3 minutes?

I am new to these boards and sense a lot of "hatred" for Blue 22....perhaps I have just figured out why?

If Blue 22 died (or has it already?) would it still be a good idea to build a Woodbine Station on the Georgetown GO line that would connect with the Airport's people mover?

If the Georgetown line ever got every day, all day, two way service, would that not be a viable way for folks to get from downtown to the airport? Without any express service or track improvments at all, the Georgetown trains make to Etobicoke North in 22 minutes and make it to Malton in 28 minutes......so, presumably, they would make it to a new Woodbine/airport station in, say, 25 minutes.......was/is the expenditure on Blue 22 and the fares folks would have to pay worth saving those 3 minutes?

I am new to these boards and sense a lot of "hatred" for Blue 22....perhaps I have just figured out why?

Toss in the fact that Blue 22 would bring a great, expensive benefit to hundreds of daily airline travellers but completely ignore the million or so people in Brampton, Malton and western Toronto who need rapid transit and you've pretty much got it.

Toss in the fact that Blue 22 would bring a great, expensive benefit to hundreds of daily airline travellers but completely ignore the million or so people in Brampton, Malton and western Toronto who need rapid transit and you've pretty much got it.

plus the fact that a much more usefull plan for this corridor could have been ready by now if the Blue 22 proposal was shot down a long time ago

I am pro Blue 22. Toronto desperately needs a rail link to the airport.

I agree with you. We do need link to the airport. But, would you rather:

Have one that costs $20, takes 22 minutes to get from Union to Pearson, makes only one stop, and runs every 20 minutes.

or

Have one that costs around $5, take 30 minutes to get from Union to Pearson, makes all regular stops, and runs every 20 minutes.

I think most people could handle the 8 minutes extra for 75% off. The public, GO-based option is the better option.

Better for the Georgetown GO Line and Airport Cable car to interface at Malton, and skip the idea of a Woodbine station. This way the Finch West LRT could eventually meet it, creating a nice transportation hub to downtown, Brampton, and North York. And with walk in ridership.

Have one that costs $20, takes 22 minutes to get from Union to Pearson, makes only one stop, and runs every 20 minutes.

or

Have one that costs around $5, take 30 minutes to get from Union to Pearson, makes all regular stops, and runs every 20 minutes.

I think most people could handle the 8 minutes extra for 75% off. The public, GO-based option is the better option.

I wasn't aware of a GO based option being real. I had only heard people suggesting it here.

I wasn't aware of a GO based option being real. I had only heard people suggesting it here.

With Blue 22, everything has been declared upfront so we know what we're going to get. The RTP still hasn't been finalized, but it gives us to opportunity to plan for a public line which could be cheaper to ride, more frequent and more useful to the entire transit network.

Better for the Georgetown GO Line and Airport Cable car to interface at Malton, and skip the idea of a Woodbine station. This way the Finch West LRT could eventually meet it, creating a nice transportation hub to downtown, Brampton, and North York. And with walk in ridership.

It might be better but how feesible is it? Wouldn't it be much harder to link the people mover to Malton than a new Woodbine station?

FYI, I travel for business often and when I hear traffic is bad I use the Malton GO train station as a quick route to afternoon flights from Pearson. I just jump on the GO train and call and pre-arrange a cab to meet me at the station and take me to T1........gets me to the Airport in about half the time and half the cost of just hopping on a cab downtown! Imagine how much better it would be with more frequent service and a more efficient link up at the airport end of it.

Wouldn't it be much harder to link the people mover to Malton than a new Woodbine station?

The GTAA set aside room along the 409 for the Blue 22 tracks. THis space can be used, and then the cable car can go parallel on the Weston sub to a loop at Malton. In the far future it could be extended south to Renforth. The cable car can be converted to self-propelled vehicles (probably ICTS).

or

Or it would make a logical route for the western arm of a DRL.

If all of the above ideas for serving Pearson also included 'temporary', 'inadequate but necessary in the meantime', or another phrase like that I would not have a problem with these ideas. But there is only one way to properly serve Pearson and that is a proper station on site, integrated into the airport so that most people can simply walk to their pre-departure location and not have to take shuttles in every case. It is not cheap, and is a large project that will also require resolving issues with GO, VIA, and any privately owned Union-Pearson shuttle service that wants to operate. But this is what needs to be done in the not too distant future, and that it is not even being discussed is rather disheartening.

I am glad that Metrolinx has formed and it is nice to see progress on transit projects and attitudes towards investing in it. But Blue 22 and the whole debate around serving Pearson unfortunately illustrates just how far there still is to go.

The current people mover can't be extended that far. There's the ability for a small extension, intended to be a second station further into Terminal 1, but that's it. You'd have to completely replace it, or put in a second system (though the existing Terminal 1 station is designed and constructed to have a second set of platforms - for the Airport train to downtown.

Back