News   May 06, 2024
 304     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 873     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 621     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

This is a glorious occasion!

There were rumours that rail projects were excluded from the new process, so this is a pleasant surprise

If places like Oshawa and Burlington get all day service, places like Mississauga and Brampton should get it.

Every line will get all day service, the qestion is when.

Barrie Line to Newmarket and Stouffville Line to Markham will get all day service in 2010.

Milton is held up by CP Rail's demands for additional tracks, and Georgetown is held up by the Blue 22 EA, which i believe is going to be sent back to the start when the RTP comes out.

REX is the ultimate goal, but all day service now doesn't mean that REX gets pushed back, since they are both compatible.

And Blue 22 haunts us still. Will someone please drive the stake into its heart?

what a false dichotomy that whole issue is.

Uh, Mississauga does have all day GO train service.

And Blue 22 haunts us still. Will someone please drive the stake into its heart?

Most Mississaugans live nowhere near Clarkson or Port Credit, Mississauga's only two stations with all day GO Train service (plus Long Branch I suppose).

He was referring to the Milton line, which may as well be the Mississauga line given all the stops it has within Mississauga (Dixie, Cooksville, Erindale, Streetsville, Lisgar, Meadowvale; versus non-Mississauga stops: Kipling and Milton).

I for one am very pleased that Milton is getting a 6 month EA for all-day service. It's about damn time!

It will take pressure off the Lake Shore line. It will open up a greater market for transit.

I can hear the NIMBY now. Soooooooorry.........NIMBY.

Long overdue.

If the Lakeshore people can live with all-day service (which is really only once an hour anyway) then Milton can live with it too. Sometimes the greater good has to take precedence.

Perhaps there should be a Lakeshore Express GO Line, which stops only at the major stops between Hamilton and Oshawa. It would coexist with the existing Lakeshore lines and provide faster service along the most important of the region's corridors.

So let me get this straight.
The EA will only be 6 months, but it will take 3 years before the service can come into effect?

ALSO can someone please tell me what the hell REX is? I keep seeing that used everywhere!

So let me get this straight.
The EA will only be 6 months, but it will take 3 years before the service can come into effect?

Six months of EA, plus 2-3 years of construction for the entire project from Milton to Union. Of course, its possible to extend all day service station-by-station as they complete the upgrades.

ALSO can someone please tell me what the hell REX is? I keep seeing that used everywhere!

REX, or Regional Express is an evolution of the GO Rail service. Instead of large trains operating every hour, smaller trains (subway sized) would operate every 10 to 15 minutes. Stations would be located every 4-6 km (GO spacing), and it would be possible to build branch lines which could take these trains to destinations which are just off the railway corridor like Square One and Pearson Airport. Full sized GO trains could continue to run alongside these REX trains if necessary.

The best comparisons are to the RER service in Paris and the London Overground & National Rail networks in London.

REX is testing very well with the general public - possibly with more support than any other proposed transit line.

For more information, read the Metrolinx Green & White papers at http://www.metrolinx.com/

Six months of EA, plus 2-3 years of construction for the entire project from Milton to Union. Of course, its possible to extend all day service station-by-station as they complete the upgrades

You really think they'll start construction as soon as the EA is done?

Back