News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Not sure this is the place for this (although it is GO service related) but also not sure it warrants its own thread but has anyone downloaded the new GO mobile app that they developed with Ryerson?

Rarely (ever?) have I downloaded an app that delivered 100% of what I would hope/expect it to do....but this one does. Within 10 minutes of downloading it I had it working slickly on, both, my iPhone and my b'berry and had all my frequently used GO trips loaded into my favourites so that any time I need to know i can very quickly find the next train/bus (that is particularly useful for G-Town line users ;) ) and where to get it.

This thing is slick and kudos to them for working with a local school to develop it. I don't care what this cost to develop this is good and it is the sort of collaberative/productive use of my tax dollars that I expect (how often does a taxpayer get to say that!).

Very cool!

Not sure this is the place for this (although it is GO service related) but also not sure it warrants its own thread but has anyone downloaded the new GO mobile app that they developed with Ryerson?
It's not perfect but it is very good. My only real complaint is that the Favourites display doesn't automatically refresh itself, so if you use that display all the time you have to go in-and-out. But that's a small issue. Overall, it's a great app.

Depends on your route. Even a relatively simple route like 96 has five branches.

31 Georgetown goes from 31 to 31L, due to the combination of peak-hour train-meets, milk runs and expresses.

I downloaded that GO app and was disappointed when I tried to find trips and found none, it seemed like my line didn't even exist outside of rush hour. Then I noticed you have to go to the Bus schedules separately. Personally I don't find this intuitive at all. It's one route. Sometimes it's a bus, sometimes it's a train. And then when you click on the bus, it lists EVERY bloody stop. The train one is much easier to use, but then it doesn't show the bus trips. There must be a better way for them to organize it.

Santa Claus Parade additional GO trains

GO wave to Santa on November 20

On Sunday, November 20, in addition to regular Sunday service, GO Transit will run extra trains along the Lakeshore East and West lines, as well as special train service on the Barrie line for the annual Santa Claus parade in downtown Toronto.
link:
http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx

The first non Lakeshore line to see an special train service finally. Surprise not to see a run on the Milton Line.

The first non Lakeshore line to see an special train service finally. Surprise not to see a run on the Milton Line.

It makes sense though. They own all the tracks on the Barrie line, so it's probably a lot easier to throw in an extra train than on the Milton Line where they would have to fight with CP.

Maybe we'll start seeing Stouffville line specials as well.

It makes sense though. They own all the tracks on the Barrie line, so it's probably a lot easier to throw in an extra train than on the Milton Line where they would have to fight with CP.

Maybe we'll start seeing Stouffville line specials as well.

Given the fact that CP see very few trains on the Milton Line on Sunday, not that hard to throw a train out there without causing problems.

Given what the event is, GO could have extra trains on all the lines without problems, other than having crews for them. This will most likely happen next year.

I am also surprise GO has not sent out a press release on this train at all, as this is something special.

Last edited:
Especially given the connection to the subway.
Well to be fair, there's probably a better connection at Kennedy, all of 3 subway stations away ...

... but I can't think of a single other GO station that off-peak trains skip (I'm assuming that Milton trains can't actually physically stop at at Bloor station, as there is no platform for those tracks).

Well to be fair, there's probably a better connection at Kennedy, all of 3 subway stations away ...

... but I can't think of a single other GO station that off-peak trains skip (I'm assuming that Milton trains can't actually physically stop at at Bloor station, as there is no platform for those tracks).
Give it another 4 years and there will be a connection at Bloor. Since the Milton Train hits Kipling first, the thinking there is no need for a station at Bloor with the Kipling stop.

They forget by stopping at Bloor, riders are down 1/2 trains as well getting ahead of any disruption between Jane and Kipling.

As for Danforth, its a 50-50 split, but riders would loose in the long run with a further walking distance outside.

That raises a question. Peak Stouffville services no longer stop at Danforth (haven't stopped there at years). It would be nice to see off-peak, and particularly weekend services stopping there.

That's a good point. Most of the existing trains are far too crowded to handle Danforth passengers now, but for off-peak and weekend, it probably wouldn't add much time to the trip and would be a useful connection, although, as mentioned above, it might be a but redundant with the stop at Kennedy, and Main and Danforth isn't much of a destination for most people.

Back