News   Jun 25, 2024
 820     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 790     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I'll be amazed if the DRT proposal goes any further west than University Ave, and I very much hope there'll be more GO stations downtown before a hypothetical DRT starts getting extensions.
I'd be amazed if anything more than that (or maybe one stop further to Spadina) is built in my lifetime ... but I wouldn't be surprised if when they do propose a route, they have an extension, so that they can protect it.

I think a new station in Liberty Village serving Milton, Georgetown and Barrie trains would be pretty awesome, especially if it was a DRL station as well!

I'll be amazed if the DRT proposal goes any further west than University Ave, and I very much hope there'll be more GO stations downtown before a hypothetical DRT starts getting extensions.

The west end needs rapid transit expansion. It's going to get politicized too; west-enders aren't going to want see all their money going to east end transit projects.

From the GO Website:

There will then be five trips between Barrie and Union during weekday peak-hours:

Barrie to Union - 5:30 a.m., 6:00 a.m., 6:30 a.m., 7:00 a.m. and 7:30 a.m.
Union to Barrie - 4:10 p.m., 4:40 p.m., 5:05 p.m., 5:35 p.m. and 6:05 p.m.

Full schedule

I think a new station in Liberty Village serving Milton, Georgetown and Barrie trains would be pretty awesome, especially if it was a DRL station as well!
Agreed. GO needs a boot up their arse, and needs direction to figure out how to build a GO station there, instead of simply whether it's feasible or not.

Simply saying it can't be done because there are curves is BS, given that other stations have curves. No, it's not perfect - and maybe it's not the standard these days. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. Let's see how much curvature is on that new platform they want to build on the south side of Union station!

Agreed. GO needs a boot up their arse, and needs direction to figure out how to build a GO station there, instead of simply whether it's feasible or not.

Simply saying it can't be done because there are curves is BS, given that other stations have curves. No, it's not perfect - and maybe it's not the standard these days. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. Let's see how much curvature is on that new platform they want to build on the south side of Union station!

I agree with you 100% on this. It seems like we sometimes too easily give up and say something can't be done. If we decide we want a station here, we can make it happen.

I know some disagree with me, but it's similar to the DRL having a station at Union. It's easy to say it can't be done, but if we decide it's necessary, we can find a way to do it.

These aren't intractable problems. Every problem has a solution. (Although I admit, fixing problems can be expensive--hello Boston Big Dig).

Canada Allied Diesel has won the GO coach refurbishment contract.

It's a surprising and quite a large loss for Ontario Northland.

The coaches will now be sent to Montreal to be refurbished. CAD's bid was about $2M lower.

A lot seems to have been made of the griping coming from North Bay and ONR. Surely they knew that there was a chance that they wouldn't win the next contract.

On the bright side, they are very well positioned now to become one of the few full-service maintenance/rebuild/paint shops in North America and bid on other projects. At least until Hudak takes power and sells ONR to his buddies at CN.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

For suburbanites heading to LV or LV residents heading to the suburbs? I don't know what the actual numbers are, but taking the train on Lakeshore West, there don't seem to be a whole lot of people getting on/off at Exhibition.

I used to take the GO train from Port Credit to Exhibition (arriving 9:04am) and the number getting off was quite large. Not a whole train's worth naturally but at least one coach's worth, maybe two depending on the day.

For suburbanites heading to LV or LV residents heading to the suburbs? I don't know what the actual numbers are, but taking the train on Lakeshore West, there don't seem to be a whole lot of people getting on/off at Exhibition.

The point is, really, that GO is gradually expanding their off-peak rail service from just being a lakeshore service to other lines. People don't always go to the same places on nights and weekends....so the service needs to go where they want to go or it ill have trouble attracting riders.

Take a look at usage before and after TFC matches.....at those times I would bet you th Ex stop serves more people than any other stop on those trains.......a LV stop would do the same thing for people on three more lines.

I don't think GO is interested in expanding off-peak service very much or that quickly unless the parking is expanded significantly first. Otherwise most of new riders will be pedestrians and transit-users and GO doesn't really seems interested in serving those kinds of people. Hence, the really slow or non-existent expansion of off-peak service on Lakeshore and other lines.

I don't think GO is interested in expanding off-peak service very much or that quickly unless the parking is expanded significantly first. Otherwise most of new riders will be pedestrians and transit-users and GO doesn't really seems interested in serving those kinds of people. Hence, the really slow or non-existent expansion of off-peak service on Lakeshore and other lines.

That is untrue. They have made policy statements on their desire to move towards having more dense modal hubs. They are putting the new stations in Kitchener and Guelph downtown in support of that. That said, they need to be realistic as well in that if the parking lots for the morning commute are jam packed they need to add parking because more then than any other period they need those cars off the road as fast as possible. People who own a car to have it sit in a GO parking lot all day aren't that likely to catch a bus to get to the GO station.

Back