News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.2K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 572     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Milton already has the infrastructure required for all-day service to Erindale, because there was already all-day service to Erindale in the past, so there is already a third track between Erindale and Cooksville, which allows the trains to layover between trips without impeding freight traffic. Erindale and Cooksville have the best local transit connections on the Milton Line, so why not? Only GO's cheapness is the problem, which is also probably why Lakeshore doesn't have 30 minute off-peak service.

The off-peak service to Erindale would probably have a frequency of 40 or 45 minutes.

Mt. Pleasant already has a third track also, judging from the satellite images...

Off-peak service to Erindale would be amazing.

What if it meant trading a bus every 20 minutes for a train every hour?

I'm not sure when Erindale gets a bus every 20 minutes. Whenever I've taken it, it's every half-hour.

Ideally, off-peak Erindale service would be every 30 minutes. Although I wouldn't object to more frequent service.

The Milton bus is pretty convenient. My biggest problem with it is the long tour of the Square One parking lot.

Agreed.

The feasibility study (summer 2009) was for 2 additional running tracks, a fly under at Humber river, and additional bays and storage tracks. This was the minimum necessary to provide all day hourly service because CP isn't willing to share their existing infrastructure (they're using it).

An EA was scheduled for early 2010 (according to 2009 capital budget) but I cannot find any trace of it occurring. Can only assume that the feasibility study determined the cost was going to be significant (I.e. more expensive than Georgetown). Haven't see anything about the Cambridge extension of the Milton line either which was to be done at roughly the same time.
The Milton EA got pushed back with the Electrication Study and the Cambridge extension impacting the design. Metrolinx tendered the survey and grading work (for specific property aquisition requirements) this spring. It's still in the top 15 projects, but they are keeping it quieter due to less money around this year and uncertainty for next year.

Milton already has the infrastructure required for all-day service to Erindale, because there was already all-day service to Erindale in the past, so there is already a third track between Erindale and Cooksville, which allows the trains to layover between trips without impeding freight traffic. Erindale and Cooksville have the best local transit connections on the Milton Line, so why not? Only GO's cheapness is the problem, which is also probably why Lakeshore doesn't have 30 minute off-peak service.

The off-peak service to Erindale would probably have a frequency of 40 or 45 minutes.

Mt. Pleasant already has a third track also, judging from the satellite images...
GO isn't cheap, they have to work with the budget given and fees raised. The Humber River crossing is the choke point for this line (2 tracks) as it leads directly into Lambton Yard area. While all-day service was possible in the pass, the increase in rail traffic means that CP limits GO to 14 daily slots (7 roundtrips), even when Milton Yard can hold 8 trains. They only got the 7th due to the downturn in the economy.

I believe you'd find that CP has more freight traffic on the Milton line to skirt around today compared to back when those off-peak trains last ran... they were a Rae-era cut, right? That could mean the amount of triple-tracking that was adequate from CP's perspective then is inadequate now.

It was only two midday trains a day. There's a big difference between slipping in two extra trains and regular all-day service.

I'm not sure when Erindale gets a bus every 20 minutes. Whenever I've taken it, it's every half-hour.

Ideally, off-peak Erindale service would be every 30 minutes. Although I wouldn't object to more frequent service.
In 2015, the GO2020 Plan requires hourly off-peak service between Union Station and Milton while the 2020 horizon increases the off-peak service frequency to twice hourly departures. The GO2020 plan defines the service limit requirements as between Union Station and Meadowvale with service between Meadowvale and Milton to be provided by bus service.

From the 2009 MMM Feasibility Study, 2015 would see twice hourly counter-flow during peak hours (6am-9am, 4pm-7pm) and hourly off-peak; 2020 would see 30 minute off-peak headways to Meadowvale with a bus connection to Milton.

The 2011-2012 Metrolinx business plan has a section on upcoming service extensions:
Georgetown rail: two trips each peak extended to Kitchener/Waterloo (December 2011)
Barrie rail: one additional trip each peak (September 2011); extension to a new Allandale Waterfront station in Barrie (December 2011)
Lakeshore East and West rail service improvements, trips extended to serve Aldershot (11), Oakville (1), Exhibition (1),
and Ajax/Whitby/Oshawa (2) stations
Lakeshore East and West rail service improvement, providing 4 additional shoulder-peak trips (September 2011)
Stouffville and Barrie rail service capacity increase, with two cars added to a crowded train each morning and
afternoon on each corridor (Fall 2011)
• Special event service increase, responding to demand for additional trips and services to these activities
• Additional trips on Union Station off-peak rail corridor buses, Hwy 407 services, the QEW Toronto-Hamilton Express
to accommodate customer volume at peak times (April and September 2011)
• Hwy 403 Oakville-North Toronto bus service enhancement adding trips during the peak and shoulder periods (April 2011)

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20110623/Business_Plan.pdf

Somehow not surprising there's still no mention of all day off-peak service on Lakeshore.

Last edited:
The 2011-2012 Metrolinx business plan has a section on upcoming service extensions:

Somehow not surprising there's still no mention of all day off-peak service on Lakeshore.

Actually, there is on page 21. It appears to be a work in progress.

Four additional Lakeshore east and west shoulder-peak trips will be introduced, increasing service during periods of healthy demand, and beginning to infill the current hourly off-peak and evening service with a trip every 30 minutes (September, 2011).

Thanks for the link to that document. Lots of good information in it.

There was one note of an expected doubling GO ridership by 2020. If a majority go to Union, that means an additional ~100,000 workers in downtown (car/subway traffic will not be reduced in actual use). I believe there are about 10,000 people working in FCP.

Add in another 20,000 units of downtown condos and you've got a ton of additional downtown employees looking for work. It will be interesting to see if a dozen new medium sized office towers (RBC sized) sprout up over the next 10 years.

Last edited:
Increased service (including pilot service on limited service corridors) to special events, including the Indy Auto Race, Caribana, CNE, and the Santa Claus Parade, will respond to demand for travel to these activities.

That sounds like they are considering some weekend train test runs this year on the non-Lakeshore lines during special events.
Running a few trains back and forth for the Civic Holiday would be a good idea too.

Last edited:

Great link! Thanks. It's from the agenda for tomorrow's meeting. This was up on Monday - but they've added this and some other reports since then!

Not a surprise, given all you just listed was in the 2011-2012 budget that came out earlier this year - though without the dates.

In the 2010-2011 Annual Report from tomorrow's meeting is a throw-away line that Presto comes part of Metrolinx (from Ministry of Transport) on June 30th.

There seems to be a bit of inconsistency in Metrolinx documents with respect to the Crosstown. Most of the documents I've read have it going from Black Creek to STC, however the document quoted above says this: "This project, amalgamating the Eglinton LRT and Scarborough RT projects, will provide a single LRT line from McCowan Avenue in the East to Jane St in the West." (Page 11)

Just thought that was interesting.

There seems to be a bit of inconsistency in Metrolinx documents with respect to the Crosstown. Most of the documents I've read have it going from Black Creek to STC, however the document quoted above says this: "This project, amalgamating the Eglinton LRT and Scarborough RT projects, will provide a single LRT line from McCowan Avenue in the East to Jane St in the West." (Page 11)

Just thought that was interesting.
The more recent Metrolinx/TTC Crosstown presentations (on the TTC site), have been altered to show the line extending a bit east of Scarborough Centre ... and also show Jane in the west.

Doesn't Lakeshore already have all day off-peak service?
I believe he was referring to the long-promised increase to 30-minute off-peak service that 2-3 years ago they were talking about delivering in 2010/2011.

Some important notes in there;
It would seem that the question of whether or not the 2 trains serving Kitchener will be new trips have been clearly answered - "two trips each peak extended". Meaning 2 of the existing trains will run the additional length to Kitchener. Those are going to be some packed trains…

Initial work is proceeded into signalizing the Stouffville & Barrie lines. This will allow for peak trains at intervals less than 30 minutes, the maximum currently permitted under the non-signaled OCS. Although I don't believe for a second this will be done by 2012 & 2013. An additional year for both is more likely.

The Richmond hill extension is planned for 2014. They should be able to maintain that schedule with the construction of a layover yard and 6.5 miles of additional mainline track.

It seems that within a few years every train will be 12 coaches. I too would prefer that they would make use of smaller & more frequent trains at least off peak. Seems as thought they are really focused on the bottom line as more trains would result in greater crewing and fuel costs. Also a lot more yard work would occur in order to split the trains into smaller consists and them put then back together for the peak period. It would create capacity constraints to employ those smaller trains during the peak periods due to the limitations of the current signal system. Only so many trains can pass at a time, something that becomes a much more pressing concern during peak periods. While keeping those mini trains in the yard during the peak period would of course be poor asset utilization.

What I find most interesting is the mention of "double berthing of trains" in Union station. Its seems this is how they plan on dealing with the future capacity crunch. As there is only space for one additional platform at Union and tunneling new platforms under Union would be prohibitively expensive due to the future retail level. It would seem they’ve acknowledged that this is the only realistic option left. Although due to the location of switches and space constraints within the USRC, only tracks 5-10 have enough space to accommodate 2 GO trains.

Back