News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 433     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Given Metrolinx will be maintaining and operating these railcars with a substantial non-revenue space in them, it’s a bit much for them to eat the cost of making them that way.
Has that been specifically stated? The added cost in equipment/axles plus staff sounds like it will be non-trivial.

Video by the Minister. Not sure if it's on other social media platforms but here's the Twitter version. @RS3488 you might get a glimpse of some of the coach numbers I wasn't paying attention in detail.

Series 5 coaches which is fantastic, the absence of a lower level washroom means there’s more capacity for bikes than the current Series 8 bike coaches have
You_Doodle+_2023-03-12T23_55_20Z.png
You_Doodle+_2023-03-13T00_02_06Z.png

Attachments

• You_Doodle+_2023-03-13T00_01_21Z.png
    You_Doodle+_2023-03-13T00_01_21Z.png
    275.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thought this might be interesting to some of you (if UT compression doesn’t make it unreadable):View attachment 550434
Werent they talking about 14 car trains on the Milton Line? As this was the only way to deal with demand. I thought thats why we bought those insane 5400HP locos for.

Maybe thats changed since they are looking to add all day-ish service to Milt.

Werent they talking about 14 car trains on the Milton Line? As this was the only way to deal with demand. I thought thats why we bought those insane 5400HP locos for.

I heard that once too, it definitely isn’t going to happen now but I wonder if 14 car trains were studied before, I’m sure someone here knows…

It was attempted, firstly to see if the newer and larger Tier IV locomotives were up to the task (spoiler - they weren't, really) , and perhaps with the intent to then ask if the option was worthwhile. See here.

Since we've seen little or no evidence of futureproofing for 14 car consists in any of the yard or station construction in the last nine years, I would say the idea was likely set aside, indeed it might never have been more than a one-time stress test, just to see how far the Tier IV locos could be pushed.

- Paul

Reactions: AHK
It was attempted, firstly to see if the newer and larger Tier IV locomotives were up to the task (spoiler - they weren't, really) , and perhaps with the intent to then ask if the option was worthwhile. See here.

Since we've seen little or no evidence of futureproofing for 14 car consists in any of the yard or station construction in the last nine years, I would say the idea was likely set aside, indeed it might never have been more than a one-time stress test, just to see how far the Tier IV locos could be pushed.

- Paul
Well with all day service and 15 or better min peaks 14 car trains aren't really required anymore I would say.

A standard Series 2 GO coach is returning on CN A450 (not my picture)

Judging by the rebuilt doors yet non repainted body, seems to me as though they might have them get repainted at GO's Whitby Yard (the 150 coaches they marked for being repainted does match up with this, as 94 Series VII + 56 Series II cars = 150)
54A36236-0E43-42A9-BD18-47E9D799927C.jpg

No, they weren't. They've used longer trains in testing, but that was to simulate the additional weight of the passengers on a full train.

For the record, the current limitation is with HEP power supply, not horsepower to the wheels. The 1000hp dedicated to HEP is almost what a 12-car train will draw on a really hot or cold day, and is about the maximum that the plugs, transformers, switches, etc. can take.

Dan

March 25 - From today's newswire (Posted also in Go Transit Electrification thread):

Cad Railway Industries Ltd. Expands into Ontario with CAD Rail Fleet Services (Ontario) Ltd. and Reaches a 23-Year Agreement for Rail Fleet Maintenance with ONxpress Operations Inc. Français

LACHINE, QC, March 25, 2024 /CNW/ - CAD Railway Industries Ltd. (CadRI), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Sojitz Group is proud to announce that it has successfully reached a 23-year rail fleet maintenance, repair, and overhaul agreement with ONxpress Operations Inc. (OOI), the official operations and maintenance service provider for Metrolinx's GO Expansion – OnCorr project. CadRI's Ontario subsidiary, CAD Rail Fleet Services (Ontario) Ltd. (CadRFS) (est. 2022), will continue to move forward with the mobilization and transition planning period for the Metrolinx rail fleet, used for GO Transit commuter rail service and UP Express airport service. CAD Rail Fleet Services (Ontario) Ltd.'s contract scope of work starts January 1st, 2025.

(CNW Group/CAD Railway Industries)
(CNW Group/CAD Railway Industries)

CAD Rail Fleet Services (Ontario) Ltd. will be fully responsible for delivering its services, with safety and customer experience as the key focus of its service delivery. CadRFS is expecting to employ up to 500 Ontarians to deliver its fleet maintenance services commitment.

Benoit Leclerc, CadRI President says "We are very proud to have reached this contract milestone and the exciting prospect of becoming a vital team member for the successful delivery of the GO Expansion – On Corridor Works project, the largest railway capacity expansion and transformation in Canada in the last 140 years. In this next stage CadRFS will demonstrate its capability to actively contribute to this project by leveraging our prior Metrolinx fleet overhaul experience, our demonstrated project management capability, our rail equipment technical expertise, our innovative engineering methodologies, and our strong commitment to continuous improvement."

Thorsten Krenz, OOI Chief Executive Officer, adds "ONxpress Operations Inc. (OOI) looks forward to a long and successful working relationship with CadRI, a high-performing rail fleet maintenance, overhaul, and repair company. Our shared objective is to provide Metrolinx, and its customers, with a world-class safety and customer experience-focused commuter rail service and we look forward to our continued partnership with CadRI."

Established over 50 years ago in Lachine, Quebec, CAD Railway Industries delivers comprehensive maintenance solutions for rolling stock throughout North America. Providing integrated repair and refurbishment services for locomotives, freight cars, passenger cars, and diesel engines, the company extends the useful life of rail fleet vehicles and associated assets. With the largest rail rolling stock repair and refurbishment facilities in Canada, CadRI has major locations in Montreal, Alberta (Calgary and Lethbridge), and Ontario.

GO 200 now in process of being delivered back to GO, leaving only 2 cab cars left in North Bay, 210 and 213.

Apologies if this was said upthread and I missed it, but are GO doing the bike car retrofit themselves, or having someone else do it?

Back